ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

'Low Tire Pressure' Idiot Light....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 08:51 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Low Tire Pressure' Idiot Light....

...It lit.

And for no readily apparent reason.

I checked all four tires and they're perfect.

Anyone have any idea what would make this happen?

(BTW for those of you wondering, it's a yellow light that looks like two parenthesis signs with a little exclamation point looking thing in the middle. It is placed to the left of the tachometer.)
Old 09-02-06, 08:58 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a spare tire or run flats on the four corners.

Insure they are all up to pressure with a good quality tire gauge.

Check your owners manual on how to reset the error lamp.
Old 09-02-06, 09:26 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Default Follow Up...

...Does anyone know how to reset this stupid thing?
Old 09-02-06, 10:04 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

there should be a button under your steering wheel....near where your right knee is when you drive. Turn on the ignition and hold that button.
Old 09-03-06, 04:39 AM
ckon
Rookie

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
...It lit.

I checked all four tires and they're perfect.
Don't forget the spare!
Old 09-03-06, 06:57 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ours came on one day too. I checked the tires and they were fine. After reseting the button mentioned above the light has not come on again. I guess I don't mind this type of false alarm so long as it doesn't happen very often.
Old 09-03-06, 01:40 PM
lds
Driver School Candidate

If it flashes for a minute when you first turn on your car then just stays on, it is a malfunction and you will probably need to bring it in to the dealer. It happened to me and it was because there was a problem with my spare tire.
Old 09-03-06, 01:44 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Default Update

To reset this little bugger reach your hand down under the dash. Pretty much right under the steering wheel. You will feel two buttons. The one on the right enables and disables the traction control (or anti-skid feature...whatever they call that), the one on the left resets that idiot light. Hold it in for about five seconds and the idiot light blinks a few times and then goes out. This is all done with the engine on, of course.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 09-03-06 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-03-06, 07:03 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Don't worry it happened because you are from NY and the temp has gotten colder. This happens a lot when seasons change make sure you add the proper air and reset the light.
Old 09-04-06, 12:48 AM
stanes350
Driver School Candidate

Default tire pressure

My tire pressure light came on today. This is the first time since I've had the car from April 29. Took it down to the Lexus dealer, he checked the tires and said that if the pressure goes below 31, the light will come on. He filled up the tires to 35 and as I started to back out the light went out.
Old 09-04-06, 07:02 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

They are very senstive to temp have you had a cold spell? Also the tech can hook up the comp and tell which sensor set it off just to make sure there isn't a screw in the tire.
Old 09-04-06, 09:52 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Originally Posted by stanes350
My tire pressure light came on today. This is the first time since I've had the car from April 29. Took it down to the Lexus dealer, he checked the tires and said that if the pressure goes below 31, the light will come on. He filled up the tires to 35 and as I started to back out the light went out.
I wonder if this tech has his facts correct? The recommended tire pressure according to the door tag is 30 PSI. Pushing the tire pressure to 35 PSI will increase road noise and give a harsher ride. I keep my pressure (cold) between 31 and 31.5, (digital guages are really nice).

A benefit to staying at 35 PSI is that you might increase your MPG some
Old 09-04-06, 09:57 PM
savon
Rookie

Originally Posted by stanes350
My tire pressure light came on today. This is the first time since I've had the car from April 29.
HTML Code:
toTook it down  the Lexus dealer, he checked the tires and said that if the pressure goes below 31, the light will come on. He filled up the tires to 35 and as I started to back out the light went out.
As I have mentioned in different thread there is a problem with unexperienced and not well trained techs in dealerships ( everywhere not just lexus). Unfortunately, for those of us who have little knowledge about cars anything that dealership people tell us we buy it. Tire pressure should be at 30 as it is printed on the door tag and manual. You think engineers in lexus (toyota) were stupid to set the pressure on 30. they picked 30 because it looked nicer than 31 or 32 or 35. when I bought my car tire pressure was set to 32 and I had rough ride ( specially with its very soft suspension) on any street with minor bumps. I set it to 30 and I noticed a difference in ride on same streets that I drive every day. when I took it to dealer for a different issue, they had set the pressure back to 32. I had to set it back to 30. Somehow, these Ph.D. techs in dealerships think they know more. If that tech was right all cars with tire pressure 30 should have the light on . If I were you, I would set it back to 30. Unless you are driving on perfect smooth streets everyday you ride is going to be rough on bumpy streets.
Old 09-05-06, 07:47 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It was my understanding the the tire pressure button under the dash didn't just turn off the tire pressue idiot light, it actually resets the pressure limit which activates the light.

So if your tires have 35 psi in them and you use the reset button, the warning light comes on if the tire pressure falls below 35 or 34 or something like that. If your tires have 30 psi in them and you reset, the warning light comes on at 29 or 28 or something like that.

Is this correct?
Old 09-05-06, 08:31 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Originally Posted by dreyfus
It was my understanding the the tire pressure button under the dash didn't just turn off the tire pressue idiot light, it actually resets the pressure limit which activates the light.

So if your tires have 35 psi in them and you use the reset button, the warning light comes on if the tire pressure falls below 35 or 34 or something like that. If your tires have 30 psi in them and you reset, the warning light comes on at 29 or 28 or something like that.

Is this correct?
Page 299 of the owner's manual would suggest that you are correct. It appears that you set your tire pressure to whatever PSI you want (Lexus recommends 30 PSI, page 391) then by hitting the reset button it locks in the PSI that each tire is set at.

I assume that some computer software then triggers the light when the PSI readings fall below the programmed tolerance level. I'm curious what that number is.

Quick Reply: 'Low Tire Pressure' Idiot Light....