ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Es350 Engine Noise = Valve Job Repair Required

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 09:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I do know who's oil is in it, Lexus Japan's oil is in the car.

I find it more than coincidental that I felt for more than a month it needed a valve job like my ES300 did only to have a Lexus dealer service manager and dealer tech shop forman trained in Japan tell me I need a valve job to repair the problem with the tech initially contemplating a rod problem as well.

Gelling may for sure not be the reason my valves behave the way they do but the end result on me in the car is similar to when my oil had gelled in my ES300 requiring it to have a valve job.

Engine uneveness=similar as gelling, vibration when hot or when knocking/tapping=similar as gelling, sluggish acceleration=similar as gelling.

The only major difference between my new car and my old ES300 is the knocking/tapping noise is LOUDER in my brand new car though I have not noticed the slightest amount of smoke in exhaust as with ES300 oil gell issue but I also haven't been seriously looking for it either.
and the fact that your ES350 has completly different engine than your ES300. I think that would be the main difference.

:-)
Old 09-12-06, 12:01 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
and the fact that your ES350 has completly different engine than your ES300. I think that would be the main difference.

:-)
And what a striking similarity between the engines, rather than a difference, both engines have valves, both engines need a valve job per trained Lexus technicians and service manager.
Old 09-12-06, 03:47 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Eventually someone is going to have to take a mechanic's stethascope & listen to the engine during start-up.
Or pop the valve covers off & check the valve clearances. Which is something Lexus/Toyota is NEVER going to do. So don't be holding your breath on them coming out saying "We shipped them with the wrong valve clerances" if the valve clerance is incorrect from the factory.

It's hard to say flat out that the valve clearance is wrong. Simply because it goes away. If they were off much at all, it would never go away.

It's not a hard process by any means. Anyone that can operate a calculator, or add on a piece of paper can do it. It simply takes so much time to do. Blah!!!

Last edited by Pheonix; 09-12-06 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-13-06, 12:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
And what a striking similarity between the engines, rather than a difference, both engines have valves, both engines need a valve job per trained Lexus technicians and service manager.
really... engines have valves? wow. Thank you for such an great insight.

As I said before, you are comparing things not meant to be compared. Two completly different series of engines act differently. Concept like that should not be hard to grasp.
Old 09-13-06, 12:59 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
really... engines have valves? wow. Thank you for such an great insight.

As I said before, you are comparing things not meant to be compared. Two completly different series of engines act differently. Concept like that should not be hard to grasp.
I'm not comparing anything I should not be comparing. A Japan trained tech supervisor and service manager also compared valves in one car, like my ES300, the second one of those I owned to be specific which needed a valve job, to valves in my current ES350.

When valves are not functioning properly there are STRIKING similarities in result of the malfunction evidenced in performance of the vehicle.
Old 09-13-06, 01:31 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ES350,
I feel sorry for your troubles. With all the problems on your car, have you complained to Lexus corproate, or thought about asking for a refund on the car or a new one.
Old 09-13-06, 01:43 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by miltonlin
ES350,
I feel sorry for your troubles. With all the problems on your car, have you complained to Lexus corproate, or thought about asking for a refund on the car or a new one.
Thank you Miltonlin for the kind thought.

Yes I have been in contact with Lexus corporate, not sure what the final resolution will be but I owned two prior cars, both ES series I was very happy with and will remain hopeful in this predicament.
Old 05-05-07, 11:48 PM
SW07ES
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2GR-FE V6 engine used in the ES350 doesn't have any valve adjustment shims like the ES300/330 V6 did. Instead the 2GR-FE has "roller rocker valve activation with Hydraulic Lash Adjuster valve clearance adjustment" "a ceramic check-ball Hydraulic Lash Adjuster ensures the system requires no valve clearance adjustment over the life of the vehicle." http://www.worldcarfans.com/print.cf...5.004/lang/eng
Old 05-06-07, 06:10 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW07ES
The 2GR-FE V6 engine used in the ES350 doesn't have any valve adjustment shims like the ES300/330 V6 did. Instead the 2GR-FE has "roller rocker valve activation with Hydraulic Lash Adjuster valve clearance adjustment" "a ceramic check-ball Hydraulic Lash Adjuster ensures the system requires no valve clearance adjustment over the life of the vehicle." http://www.worldcarfans.com/print.cf...5.004/lang/eng
wow, this thread sure is a walk down memory lane.

I was told my engine was not set up properly to begin with as to valve lash and needed to be corrected. It seems they do have adjustments they must make when setting these engines up or else you get what I was experiencing..noisy engine, other results..

"On hydraulic lifter cams, rotate the engine in the normal direction of rotation until the exhaust valve begins to open. At this point,
adjust the intake valve to ZERO LASH with no pre-load at the lifter, then tighten 1/2 more turn. Rotate the engine again until
the intake valve has fully opened. Now you can adjust the exhaust valve to ZERO LASH, then 1/2 more turn. Repeat this
procedure until each cylinder is completed
Setting lifter pre-load in hydraulic lifters on engines with NON-Adjustable
rocker arms:
Lifter pre-load (the distance the lifter plunger is depressed by the pushrod) should be between .020” and .060”. Too little pre-
load or no pre-load will result in very noisy operation while the engine is running. Too much pre-load may cause the engine to
idle rough, have very low manifold vacuum, and/or poor low-RPM throttle response."
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...&client=safari
Old 05-06-07, 11:41 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first this thread fooled me and thought someone was having the noise problem again and why is Bob talking about his car?????. Then I saw the post date. Lol. I remember posting about this long ago with there are 48 tap points that can make the noise, 4 valve per cylinder 2 point on each roller arm = 48 points of contact. And I think it was agreed the service costs was to much for something that was not harmful to the engine.
Old 05-06-07, 06:19 PM
SW07ES
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, that website offers interesting generic advice for adjusting hydraulic lifters, but I wonder if the ES350 factory repair manual mentions anything specific about adjusting the 2GR-FE lifters when replacing / overhauling valvetrain components? The 2GR-FE lifter mechanism may be a state of the art new design that the generic car care advice type websites aren't familiar with yet.
Old 05-06-07, 09:34 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob, that website offers interesting generic advice for adjusting hydraulic lifters, but I wonder if the ES350 factory repair manual mentions anything specific about adjusting the 2GR-FE lifters when replacing / overhauling valvetrain components? The 2GR-FE lifter mechanism may be a state of the art new design that the generic car care advice type websites aren't familiar with yet.
Agreed......The hydraulic valve adjustment description reminds me of how I adjusted valve lash in 1950's engines. I'm sure that making adjustments are somewhat different in the newer type engines.
Old 05-07-07, 04:20 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

That did not originally come from a website, it came from the Lexus dealer service manager and tech foreman who rode in my first ES350, and I looked up what they had told me and it was in line with what you can research about hydraulic lifters. They are not supposed to need adjustments but if they are not properly set up to begin with, you get problems is what I was told, and even that website says the same as svc. manager and tech did to me.

I also learned from that service visit, but especially the next visit, that there are quite a few with this issue and I think oso's observation of expense involved in addressing it is why they are not repairing them.
Old 05-22-07, 07:19 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all.

nice forum you have. My ES350 has just over 1,000 miles on it and it had a engine knock which sounds like a rod or wrist pin when accellerating when cold. The harder you accelerate the louder it seems to get. Seems to go away when it warms up, that is about three to five miles I believe although I have never really kept exact mileage to see when it goes away. Called the dealer and was informed it was not a problem. Just seems odd to have a car that is this quiet and nice and then to have that knock when cold. Of course if the car was not so quiet, I would have never heard it in the first place. Are many of the ES350s having this issue or does anyone know. I had an 07 Accura TL which was hit broadside and totaled that I replaced with this Lexus. It is very interesting to compare the two cars. I also had a 06 TL so I had plenty of time to get used to it so I can compare the two accurately. The Lexus is a fine car but the knocking sound seems out of place in such a car. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-07, 07:35 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rlj4246
Hi all.

nice forum you have. My ES350 has just over 1,000 miles on it and it had a engine knock which sounds like a rod or wrist pin when accellerating when cold. The harder you accelerate the louder it seems to get. Seems to go away when it warms up, that is about three to five miles I believe although I have never really kept exact mileage to see when it goes away. Called the dealer and was informed it was not a problem. Just seems odd to have a car that is this quiet and nice and then to have that knock when cold. Of course if the car was not so quiet, I would have never heard it in the first place. Are many of the ES350s having this issue or does anyone know. I had an 07 Accura TL which was hit broadside and totaled that I replaced with this Lexus. It is very interesting to compare the two cars. I also had a 06 TL so I had plenty of time to get used to it so I can compare the two accurately. The Lexus is a fine car but the knocking sound seems out of place in such a car. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.

We have a poll of owners and roughly +/- 20 percent indicate this knocking noise. in my experience some do not have it at all and those with it when present can vary in volume from able to hear and annoying to loud and very annoying and is not normal.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236162

Quick Reply: Es350 Engine Noise = Valve Job Repair Required