ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Es350 Engine Noise = Valve Job Repair Required

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07 | 10:05 AM
chinny
Driver

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Jeff,

This is not a TSIB, this is a diagnosis coming from dealer service manager and tech forman at dealer, both rode with me, but I had to make it clear to them not to start the car until I was present and even then they wanted to first pop the hood and I said no, drive first, pop hood later.

They heard it's unmistakable presence, the tech said the word rod, the service manager said improper valve lash, the diagnosis is improper valve lash requiring adjustments be made to them.

Said another way, a valve job requiring adding shims to the valves in my engine is what would need to be done.

This is not something a TSIB would address I don't think, this is just bad valve work on the engine in Japan before installing it in a car.

Any way, if you have this, you MUST make it clear they start the engine cold and drive right away or they might miss it if they lurk about the engine under the hood for 5 minutes or more and then drive after that. In park when cold engine you have to have hawk or bat hearing hearing to segregate it from the rest of the engine noise which I can do only because I have heard it at it's loudest when driving the car, same for hot engine.

Please PM me the dealer you went to, im also from florida and my car also has this problem.
Old 05-23-07 | 10:34 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chinny
Please PM me the dealer you went to, im also from florida and my car also has this problem.
Chinny,

It was Orlando area, but it went nowhere when the corporate field tech denied any repair for it.

I would not look for them to do anything about it if I were you, sorry to say.

We have not had anyone report back they were offered a repair for this, excuses were offered instead.
Old 02-16-11 | 04:43 PM
karizma
Driver School Candidate

Default me too 2007 ES350

Unfortunatly, I have the same knocking noise. I also have transmission slipping. This all started at about 52k miles. I just purchased this car 2 months ago. I have an appt set up for this Saturday. We will see what Lexus has to say about it.
Old 02-18-11 | 05:57 AM
vetkilr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rlj4246
Hi all.

nice forum you have. My ES350 has just over 1,000 miles on it and it had a engine knock which sounds like a rod or wrist pin when accellerating when cold. The harder you accelerate the louder it seems to get. Seems to go away when it warms up, that is about three to five miles I believe although I have never really kept exact mileage to see when it goes away. Called the dealer and was informed it was not a problem. Just seems odd to have a car that is this quiet and nice and then to have that knock when cold. Of course if the car was not so quiet, I would have never heard it in the first place. Are many of the ES350s having this issue or does anyone know. I had an 07 Accura TL which was hit broadside and totaled that I replaced with this Lexus. It is very interesting to compare the two cars. I also had a 06 TL so I had plenty of time to get used to it so I can compare the two accurately. The Lexus is a fine car but the knocking sound seems out of place in such a car. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I totally agree with this. $40,000 cars should not sound like a diesel at startup or ever. Ford sets up their valves very similar. They are self adjusting, but have to be shimmed underneath the lash adjusters to a preset tolerance. I hear mine everyday I drive it, it is valve noise and reminds me of when I hear new 4.6l mustang motors set up wrong, they tap like hell and sometimes if the adjuster doesn't get enough oil into it and pressure up, the noise is god awful loud. There was a video someone had on here from their ES 350 and it sounds just like Ive heard from many, many Ford 4.6L DOHC motors that have been rebuilt and the adjusters are not set right.
J
Old 02-18-11 | 09:28 AM
1badass
Driver School Candidate

Default My car also has the trans issue, could you keep me posted on your results?

I booked an appointment for next Saturday, and I've owned the car for 3 weeks today at 85k kilometers

I noticed in cold weather on the first start, as soon as the car hits 3-4 gear it hesitates, revs and then jerks into gear. But this only happens when it's cold usually after sitting for a while.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by karizma
Unfortunatly, I have the same knocking noise. I also have transmission slipping. This all started at about 52k miles. I just purchased this car 2 months ago. I have an appt set up for this Saturday. We will see what Lexus has to say about it.
Old 02-21-11 | 01:48 AM
karizma
Driver School Candidate

Default In the shop

I took the TSB into the shop with me for the transmission flare. Expecting a call back today. I will let you all know the outcome. They gave me a 2011 IS 250 for a loaner and believe or not the engine sounds very similar. Somewhat diesel like. My consultant said that is what the Lexus sounds like. My knocking is much louder though. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome.
Old 02-21-11 | 06:54 AM
1badass
Driver School Candidate

Default Hope everything gets repaired properly

Keep us updated!

What was the TSB for the transmission that you used?

Cheers
Old 02-23-11 | 06:26 AM
karizma
Driver School Candidate

TSIB TC001-07 3RD - 4TH GEAR SHIFT FLARE

I received a call on Tuesday from Service and they have ordered a new transmission. Hoping for a good outcome.
Old 02-23-11 | 09:46 AM
1badass
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Dropping her off on Friday night and want to be there Saturday morning before they start her up. After the warm up it seems To drive ok, it's just the initial cold weather start and go that it doesnt like.

Did you get the rattling dashboard repaired? Getting the service department to looked at it and hopefully fix it on Saturday.

Cheers
Old 02-28-11 | 07:24 AM
karizma
Driver School Candidate

I don't have the rattle in my dashboard. The transmission is being installed as we speak. It is suppose to be done on Tuesday. I will let u know how she runs when I get it back. Good luck with yours. Let us know how it comes out.
Old 03-03-11 | 11:53 AM
1badass
Driver School Candidate

Default Dropped off my car last night Wednesday...

They said that they will call me with an update.

They are going to fix the rattle in the front, hopefully my transmission misbehaves so they could see it and hear it with their own eyes.

I also asked them to look at the sunroof, tried it for the first time about 2 days ago and upon opening there was a clunk noise, not sure if this is normally but they are looking at it.

Did you car have problems when you were slowing down, im guess from 2 to 1 gear? It seems that there is a problem when the car is downshifting as well.

Got a 2010 loaner and I've noticed that the arm rest, the chrome part is peeling off....not good 14.6K on the odo.

Cheers!!
Old 03-07-11 | 06:49 AM
1badass
Driver School Candidate

Default Update on repairs

Got a call a couple of days after dropping her off and they said everything was done.

The car was flashed with an updated transmission software. Driven her for a couple of day and it's not as bad as it used to be. I see the transmission gives a slight rev over 2 before shifting and not like before.

Is the first and second gear suppose to shift quickly, I dont know but it seems that when it hits 11/2 rpm it quickly shifts gears. I have not noticed the problem when slowly down from second to first, I used to get a thrust forward as I'd the gears where shift too fast.

The rattle was repaired and I don't hear the gremlins in there anymore.

The replaced a sealant gasket around the sunroof and said everything is good now. I still get that heavy clunk noise when I open the sunroof. Maybe this is normal on the 2007es? Indefinitely don't get this noise on my 2008 rx350.

Got q compkementary rental, The car was washed but not filled up, not sure if TSB get fill up when being serviced.

Hopefully it lasts!

Cheers
Old 03-09-11 | 05:28 AM
frankbcnt
Driver

Holy moly why are they not taking care of the noise for people? This is an expesive car at at a premium price I would expect premium service. If this happens to me I will be raising hell. If they don't fix it I will figure it out and post on here. It sounds like you could maybe lemon law it? Take it in 3 times and see!
Old 03-09-11 | 05:29 AM
frankbcnt
Driver

The 1-2 shift is fast unless you get on it.
Old 03-13-11 | 11:12 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rlj4246
it had a engine knock which sounds like a rod or wrist pin when accellerating when cold. The harder you accelerate the louder it seems to get. Seems to go away when it warms up, that is about three to five miles I believe although I have never really kept exact mileage to see when it goes away.
Same problem as our Sienna...trying to get word that I ours got fixed so that people can STOP guessing at what it is. It is a complex engine with a ton of moving forged pieces and tapping sounds will travel so it could be very hard to track down the tapping even using a stethoscope.

One thing the shop foreman wanted to do(not sure if he did or not) is pull each coil one at a time to isolate the cylinder that was making the noise. I wouldnt suggest doing this yourself as touching a firing coil could kill you if it arc'd, but I would have your dealer do it while you stood there watching.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ing-fixed.html

Originally Posted by frankbcnt
Holy moly why are they not taking care of the noise for people? T
It seems as though Toyota Corporate isnt willing to do a thing, but Toyota Extra Care however just replaced our shortblock at 80k miles because of this knocking.

Note that I went into 3 dealerships under factory 60k and 1 toyota/lexus alternative shop after 60k called Bearden Automotive in Austin who called it normal as well.

Last edited by RyanV; 03-13-11 at 11:15 AM.