ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Recirc/Fresh Air button in recirc when started

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 11:47 AM
sarge43
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried again last night turning car off with manual fan spped set to low, not on Auto, air intake in fresh air mode. Started car this AM (overnight in garage) and system was in recirc mode. I left it there to see if it would switch - well, no luck. It stayed on recirc for 30 min. without reverting to fresh air.
Looks like I may just have to live with this minor disturbance.
Old 09-13-06, 11:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by toneman
Hmmm...I guess what intake mode it starts in probably depends on a combination of ambient air temp, inside air temp, and/or climate control temp setting?
yes it does.

ALSO, your Lexus dealer can program this feature for you. They can default it to whatever you want...
Old 09-13-06, 01:47 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do note that even in manual mode, it's not fully manual and still semi-automatic.
Old 09-14-06, 09:19 AM
tstead
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gloval
I am new to this forum as well. I was actually wondering about the auto-recirculation function on the ES350. I typically keep my climate control on Auto and I always have the recirculation function on Auto as well. However, when I turn off the car and turn it on again, the recirculation button never remembers that it was in Auto. Is this normal or a bug?

Thank you in advance.
I have the same question. Does anyone have an answer?

Tim
Old 09-15-06, 05:40 AM
currie0522
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 ES 350 outside/recirc

We haven't seen anything but hot weather since we've had our car, but the switch (auto/recirc/outside) does not seem to do the same thing every time. Does the auto climate control setting have any effect on the recirc setting or is it independent?

We're looking for some cooler air, as it hasn't been any cooler than 70 degrees since about April. Houston, TX
Old 03-08-07, 06:53 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Our car seems to come on in recirc mode. How we have it set is detailed below.

We've had our AC button ON since the day we purchased our car. I don't think we've ever had it off. The climate control AUTO function doesn't work well for us and we don't like it.

Instead we have the recirculate control set to Auto. If you press it a few times until the middle light comes on, the car will just determine if it should be in recirc or fresh air flow mode. Then we just manually adjust the fan speed or vent flow (floor, etc) to our liking. 99% of the time it is blowing directly at us on the lowest fan speed. That's it. We then adjust our individual temps up and down as needed.

... As a result our car still smells like new. This is one of our favorite features.

Wanderer, I dearly would love this recirc button to be my favourite feature but right now it's my enemy!

It has a mind of its own. I believe the circuitry is malfunctioning.
No matter how I set mine, it always starts in outside air mode.

If I press the recirc button it will stay in that mode for anywhere from 1 to 5 min. and then switch over to outside air mode. It will not lock into recirc. mode. Defrost is _not turned on. AC is not on. Climite control function is not on. Recirc Auto function can be On or Off, it will still behave like this.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............
Old 03-08-07, 07:03 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dreyfus
You're right, the car always starts in recirc mode and it IS a pain for those of us who always like fresh.

As was mentioned by wanderer99 above, you can use the auto recirc mode and it will eventually reset itself to fresh air after starting in recirc.

A strange design, I'll admit.

Mine always starts in fresh air mode, wanna swap cars???
Old 03-08-07, 07:14 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes it does.

ALSO, your Lexus dealer can program this feature for you. They can default it to whatever you want...

Ah, this is so good to read!
Can you please tell us how you found this out? Is it in the manual anywhere or did a tech guy tell you about this secret?

It's not in the personal preferences section.
Old 08-24-07, 12:59 PM
Nobar King
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes it does.

I went to my lexus dealer to have this particular problem fixed, but no one there was knowledgeable to fix it.

I live near SF, and I RARELY ever use the AC. I always drive with the fresh air mode, but the car almost always starts with the recirculate mode. If I press auto, or AC, it switches to recirc, but I never do that. (Also, is AUTO mode supposed to start at the #5 fan level? It's so loud.)

I think part of the problem is that I like to use foot/window mode, to keep my feet cool, and keep the air from hitting my face thru the dash vents.

From what I have read on this forum, the feet/window mode might be causing this. *or I could be wrong.

The main problem is forgetting to switch from recirc to fresh, and driving around suffocating on stale air. Yuk.

Old 08-25-07, 05:56 PM
RED 5
Driver School Candidate

I find this to be quite annoying as I dont want my cigarette smoke recirculated thru the car, I always have to remember to change that when I get in.
Old 08-28-07, 03:57 PM
sarge43
Driver

Originally Posted by Nobar King
I went to my lexus dealer to have this particular problem fixed, but no one there was knowledgeable to fix it.
The system will select recirc or fresh depending on the temp. selected.

I live near SF, and I RARELY ever use the AC. I always drive with the fresh air mode, but the car almost always starts with the recirculate mode. If I press auto, or AC, it switches to recirc, but I never do that. (Also, is AUTO mode supposed to start at the #5 fan level? It's so loud.)
The fan speed selected by the system is dependent upon the temp you have selected while in auto. If the selected temp is close to the current temp inside the car the fan will come on at a lower level. If there a big diff. between the two, the fan speed will be on high. As you note below, the noise is also dependent on the path the air is coming through.

I think part of the problem is that I like to use foot/window mode, to keep my feet cool, and keep the air from hitting my face thru the dash vents.

From what I have read on this forum, the feet/window mode might be causing this. *or I could be wrong.