ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Door locking is better than I thought

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 12:13 PM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaius88
I live in Los Angeles California. I think there is no reason to keep it running unattended here. Plus, the thugs here are waiting for you to make a "mistake". I think an alternative is just to bring plenty of blankets so that even tho the car is cold, you'll warm up quick with the blankies.
Kaius- I think I'm detecting sarcasm with the blanket comment.. but just in case you are serious, if you've ever sat on cold leather you would know that blankets wouldn't help you at all. Not to mention how ghetto that would look riding around in a Lexus with blankets on!

Why do we live in the NE again??
Old 09-14-06, 12:42 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tstead
I can't figure out how to lock the door while leaving the car running (like when I run into the gas station for a cup of coffee in the morning). The car just beeps at me as if its flipping me the middle speaker. I tried pressing the black button on the handle and the lock button on the key fob. Perhaps I was too close to the door and it thought the key fob was still inside or can you simply not lock the doors whilst the car is still running?

Tim
Use the key my friend lol. Unfortunately, your keyhole is hidden behind a cover so you'd have to prop the cover everytime you want to use the mechanical key to lock the door while the car is still running.
Old 09-14-06, 12:56 PM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

There is a keyhole under there? I never bothered to look... I thought the key that's in the fob only worked the glove box.
Old 09-14-06, 01:06 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

there's always a mechanical backup just in case...
Old 09-14-06, 01:18 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
There is a keyhole under there? I never bothered to look... I thought the key that's in the fob only worked the glove box.
Here you go:
Attached Thumbnails Door locking is better than I thought-key-lock.jpg  
Old 09-14-06, 01:31 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by BobBass
MAYBE....if it's in your driveway and you're warming it up on an extremely cold morning, but even that is "iffy" in this day and age.
I agree. I used to live in a city which had the infamous reputation of being the car theft capitol of North American.....not the greatest claim to fame. And just about every winter morning there were fresh news reports of cars being stolen from driveways where the owners had gone out, started the car, and then left it running to warm up while they went back the house. And so, they come out 5-10 minutes later to find no car at all. The thieves are laughing their butts off, of course, at these dim-bulbs who are not only handing over their car, keys and all, but are even warming the car up for them !! But do you think the daily news reports of 3-4 more car thefts from driveways every morning would wake them up? ......nope......cuz they're lifetime members of the "would't happen to me" club.
Old 09-14-06, 01:49 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
Kaius- I think I'm detecting sarcasm with the blanket comment.. but just in case you are serious, if you've ever sat on cold leather you would know that blankets wouldn't help you at all. Not to mention how ghetto that would look riding around in a Lexus with blankets on!

Why do we live in the NE again??
how come every time im serious people think im either being sarcastic or BSing? It must be the way i word things.... anyway. If the leather is too cold, the blanket can cushion your butt/back so you dont get the initial coldness. Coldest ive ever been in a car was 49 degrees, at 5am when i had to catch a flight somewhere. I was like "man...how can anyone survive in this coldness!"
Old 09-14-06, 01:50 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Half'a'dozen of replies, all irrelevant to the main question of keeping ES350 running while LOCKING IT with a key fob from OUTSIDE when you step out
Old 09-14-06, 04:48 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

ya know i tried the button today and it works great. I dunno why the dealership person told me to hold it until it locks. I mean it just needs a push and thats it. Nice tip man....Im glad this thread occured.
Old 09-14-06, 05:28 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Bizarro-bro, did you try locking the door while car was on? I forgot to try it myself, and now too lazy to get out
Old 09-14-06, 06:23 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

alright guys, here's something to add.

I don't know how you guys lock your doors but there are probably some of you who would close the door, turn around then press the black button. Give this a shot:

When you're going to close the door, have one finger on the black button. Push the button as you close the door. If you time it right, the door will shut and the car will lock (and the accompanying beep will sound). If you don't close fast enough, you'll get the door ajar beep or if it's just too slow, you'll hear the beep but the doors won't lock. Once you get the hang of it, it's simple and you just simply "close the door and walk away" so to speak without having to turn around and press the button. It just makes exiting just that smoother :P
Old 09-15-06, 04:55 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't understand all the chatter in here... I leave my car running all day long even when parked over night, I've never had any issues. My issues are when I accidentally stop the car and can't start it up again...
Old 09-15-06, 06:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I don't understand all the chatter in here... I leave my car running all day long even when parked over night, I've never had any issues. My issues are when I accidentally stop the car and can't start it up again...
How is your Peterbuilt running these days?
Old 09-15-06, 09:20 AM
tstead
Driver School Candidate

The discussion has turned from the strictly technical question I had to one of a philosophical discussion of right vs. wrong. If I want to leave my car running while running into a gas station to grab a cup of Joe, then that's my business. Maybe I made the conscious decision of weighing the risks of the car getting stolen vs. the benefit of less wear and tear on the engine by avoiding another (unnecessary in my opinion) engine start and decided that for me, the risk of car theft was sufficiently low enough. Maybe you did the same thing and felt that the risk was too great. That's fine because we each have our own car and we are allowed to make our own decisions (within the confines of the law) in this country.

As far as legality, that will vary from locality to locality. As for my locality, I have neither looked it up nor care to spend the time to even find out because I seriously doubt it is. I have left many a running car beside a cop car and have never heard anything about it from the cop operating the vehicle.

Another poster commented on it being dangerous but I fail to see how that is so. The only way I forsee it could be dangerous is if you postulate the car suddenly going into gear without you there to intervene or if you leave the car running in some sort of enclosed non-ventillated area. Since we don't hear too much about cars slipping out of park and since gas station parking lots are outside, I fail to see any safety issues involved. ...and before you mention it, no I do not leave my children in the car - running or otherwise. There is the possibility that the car could overheat if left idling long enough but that time frame far exceeds a 2-minute stop at my local Speedway (but that still is not a safety issue).

So, unless I am missing something, the only issue I can see is the increased risk of theft because a thief would probably be more apt to bust the window of a running car than to try and jump start it knowing the owner is a mere 50 ft away with a cup of (very) hot coffee. But, as stated before, that risk is a personal decision YOU need to make.

Tim
Old 09-15-06, 12:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tstead
The discussion has turned from the strictly technical question I had to one of a philosophical discussion of right vs. wrong. If I want to leave my car running while running into a gas station to grab a cup of Joe, then that's my business. Maybe I made the conscious decision of weighing the risks of the car getting stolen vs. the benefit of less wear and tear on the engine by avoiding another (unnecessary in my opinion) engine start and decided that for me, the risk of car theft was sufficiently low enough. Maybe you did the same thing and felt that the risk was too great. That's fine because we each have our own car and we are allowed to make our own decisions (within the confines of the law) in this country.

As far as legality, that will vary from locality to locality. As for my locality, I have neither looked it up nor care to spend the time to even find out because I seriously doubt it is. I have left many a running car beside a cop car and have never heard anything about it from the cop operating the vehicle.

Another poster commented on it being dangerous but I fail to see how that is so. The only way I forsee it could be dangerous is if you postulate the car suddenly going into gear without you there to intervene or if you leave the car running in some sort of enclosed non-ventillated area. Since we don't hear too much about cars slipping out of park and since gas station parking lots are outside, I fail to see any safety issues involved. ...and before you mention it, no I do not leave my children in the car - running or otherwise. There is the possibility that the car could overheat if left idling long enough but that time frame far exceeds a 2-minute stop at my local Speedway (but that still is not a safety issue).

So, unless I am missing something, the only issue I can see is the increased risk of theft because a thief would probably be more apt to bust the window of a running car than to try and jump start it knowing the owner is a mere 50 ft away with a cup of (very) hot coffee. But, as stated before, that risk is a personal decision YOU need to make.

Tim
I don't know how it is in OH, but around here in IL there are signs at ALL gas stations that read - "Shut Off Engine Before Fueling". They must be there for a reason, probably safety.

Quick Reply: Door locking is better than I thought