ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Door locking is better than I thought

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 08:57 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Door locking is better than I thought

I just found out that you don't need to hold the black button on the door handle down until the car locks in order to lock it. Just touch it once and walk away - the doors will lock after a second or two.

This is a nice feature.
Old 09-14-06, 09:11 AM
tstead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't figure out how to lock the door while leaving the car running (like when I run into the gas station for a cup of coffee in the morning). The car just beeps at me as if its flipping me the middle speaker. I tried pressing the black button on the handle and the lock button on the key fob. Perhaps I was too close to the door and it thought the key fob was still inside or can you simply not lock the doors whilst the car is still running?

Tim
Old 09-14-06, 09:29 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tstead
I can't figure out how to lock the door while leaving the car running (like when I run into the gas station for a cup of coffee in the morning). The car just beeps at me as if its flipping me the middle speaker. I tried pressing the black button on the handle and the lock button on the key fob. Perhaps I was too close to the door and it thought the key fob was still inside or can you simply not lock the doors whilst the car is still running?

Tim
You can't.......it's a safety feature!!
Old 09-14-06, 09:29 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't lock the car when the vehicle is running using the outside button! LOL - I wonder if people are doing as you describe, thinking the vehicle is locked when its not, then coming out to find their ES is missing?

The 'quick touch' to the doors also works for the trunk. Just quickly press it and it unlocks a second or two later.
Old 09-14-06, 09:35 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanderer99
The 'quick touch' to the doors also works for the trunk. Just quickly press it and it unlocks a second or two later.
Now I didn't know THAT! Thanks for the info.
Old 09-14-06, 09:38 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by amf1932
You can't.......it's a safety feature!!
Alan, I hope your "" showing you being sarcastic I pickup my daughter from daycare in the evening, and so far it hasn't been a problem turning the car off. But, when it will get colder especially in the winter, I would like to keep my car on while going inside to get her. It will be a nice "safe feature" if someone will get into the car while I step out of it
Old 09-14-06, 10:05 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
Alan, I hope your "" showing you being sarcastic I pickup my daughter from daycare in the evening, and so far it hasn't been a problem turning the car off. But, when it will get colder especially in the winter, I would like to keep my car on while going inside to get her. It will be a nice "safe feature" if someone will get into the car while I step out of it
I'm sorry, but I don't EVER think it's a good idea to leave an unattended car with the engine running! I think it's a lame excuse to do this because of colder weather. IMO
Old 09-14-06, 10:13 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Lame excuse? You got grandkids. Haven't you been in a situation where you came to pick them up when they were little and had to run into the house to get a toddler while still running a car in the winter cause it will get cold inside? We are not talking about some general situation, but this specific condition when you have to pick up a baby, its 0 degrees outside, and you will be out of the car for 5-10 minutes which will be long enough to get cold inside. This is a very reasonable situation where I would like to be able to lock my car to keep it runningwarm for my toddler and have a piece of mine that when I get back, nobody else got in it...
Old 09-14-06, 10:28 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Yes, I do have grandkids, and yes, I do pick them up from school. Might I add, they live in Minnetonka, Minnesota where the climate can get pretty cold. I have always been concerned about their well being, and I have never had any problems with turning off the engine while I go inside the school, or one of their friends house to accompany them back to the car. The car heater brings the car up to a comfortable temperature in a matter of seconds!
I don't care how you rationalize doing what you propose, but I, as well as others agree it's not a smart idea to leave an unattended car with the engine running.......you'll never convince me otherwise!
Old 09-14-06, 11:15 AM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I totally agree with AMF on this one.

It is irresponsible, dangerous, and I thought ILLEGAL to leave a vehicle with the engine running while you "run into a store." It was always explained to me that this is something a robber would do to ensure a quick getaway.

If anybody knows the legailty of this issue, I'd like to hear it. I was in a rural town recently and stopped at a "Quickie Mart" kind of place. There was a beat-up car with the engine running and no one in sight parked right in front of the door.

Call me paranoid, but before I entered the store, I gave the interior a thorough "once-over" to be sure nothing was "going down" inside.

Everything was OK, so I went in and made my purchase. When exiting, what do I see but an unattended beat up Chevy Blazer with the engine running in the exact same spot where the beat up car had been.

If for no other reason than to save gasoline, you should NEVER leave your car unattended with the engine running as far as I am concerned. MAYBE....if it's in your driveway and you're warming it up on an extremely cold morning, but even that is "iffy" in this day and age.
Old 09-14-06, 11:31 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

I usually leave my car running when I run into the ATM or something of the sort. I live in a semi-rural town and never thought twice about it. The cops are always around which (a) reduces the risk of the car being taken and (b) proves that it is not illegal. I think I have heard something about you can't leave a car idle for 10 minutes, but I'm really not sure about that and am too lazy to look it up.
Old 09-14-06, 11:40 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You legally can't, and sensibly shouldn't, leave your car unattended. Allan is right. If you car cannot reheat within two minutes after you restart, return to LEXUS and have them fix the problem.
Old 09-14-06, 11:48 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Twister- I thought I remembered hearing that Lexus either has or is developing a factory installed remote start system. Thought it was something close to $1,000. I had a system on my IS300 and loved it. With the new Fob system we have, I don't know of any aftermarkets that would work, but this is definitely something that would be useful for your situation.
Old 09-14-06, 12:02 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I'm going to wait and see until the first snow fall and subzero temperature here in Jersey. Than I can make a judgement for myself how fast car will cooldown and heats back up. My own personal example I provided above is realistic, and those of you who have 17 month old and taken them to daycare can relate. In other situation, I wouldn't recommend leaving car running. Also, keep in mind - we are talking about keeping the car running while ITS LOCKED!!! From the original poster in here, it was stated that we can not lock the car while its running, even with keys outside of the car. I'm going to test it myself tonight to confirm it.

@ PaJaHa1: I remember someone posted in here that some aftermarket company is working on implementing remote start with ES350, and there is already a waiting list for it? Gotta do a forum search. Remote start is another absolute must. When we get a couple feet of snow in here or just about any morning when car gets solid frozen, remote start feature is nice. We have it on my wife's Highlander, its really great!!!
Old 09-14-06, 12:04 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

I live in Los Angeles California. I think there is no reason to keep it running unattended here. Plus, the thugs here are waiting for you to make a "mistake". I think an alternative is just to bring plenty of blankets so that even tho the car is cold, you'll warm up quick with the blankies.

Quick Reply: Door locking is better than I thought