ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Car bouncing up and down

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 02:22 PM
lds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car bouncing up and down

The strangest thing has happened in my car twice, both times when driving out to lunch with three others in my car. We were stopped at a light and all of a sudden the car started bouncing up and down. The first time it happened, I just ignored it and thought I was going crazy. Then it happened yesterday and my co-workers in the car also noticed it. I think there were cars going by in the next lane, but they weren't going fast. I have never felt this bouncing when driving alone which I do most of the time. You would think that it would happen when there is less weight in the car ( only me ), but it has only happened when the car has 4 people in it. I have had the car for 3 1/2 months.
Old 09-15-06, 02:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It sounds like buffeting from passing vehicles. Were you on an elevated overpass? I've felt the car bounce it that situation too.
Old 09-15-06, 03:08 PM
lds
Driver School Candidate

No, both times I was not on an elevated overpass. Now that I am aware of it, the next time it happens I will notice everything around me, including cars or trucks going by. It was the first time I had ever experienced that kind of bouncing in any car I have ever been in -- it wasn't a slight bounce -- and I think it bounced 4 or 5 times
Old 09-15-06, 03:12 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Have you checked inside your trunk? No kidnapped person hiding in there?

Seriously, I suspect its wind or gust from passing objects, as previously stated. OR it could be one of the passengers figgiting (sp?) to make him/herself comfortable. OR someone in the car just passed tremendous gas.
Old 09-15-06, 04:24 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lds
The strangest thing has happened in my car twice, both times when driving out to lunch with three others in my car. We were stopped at a light and all of a sudden the car started bouncing up and down. The first time it happened, I just ignored it and thought I was going crazy. Then it happened yesterday and my co-workers in the car also noticed it. I think there were cars going by in the next lane, but they weren't going fast. I have never felt this bouncing when driving alone which I do most of the time. You would think that it would happen when there is less weight in the car ( only me ), but it has only happened when the car has 4 people in it. I have had the car for 3 1/2 months.
Ids,
My car moves when other cars go by where I am used to that to a degree if a truck does, did not expect this in my car with just other cars.

Next rain storm see if your wipers set on high rock your car back and forth and let me know. You could try with misting feature but for me it's barely noticeable with just misting but majorly so in a rain storm. If you try it with misting, keep the windshield wet with the misting feature several times in a row.

I noticed that after I had already complained my shocks seem weak, especially rear shocks to no avail and then the car rocks with the just the wipers on high and you can notice while driving down the road but seriously when at a red light or stop sign.
Old 09-15-06, 04:43 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car was loaded to it's capacity, and the road has slight waves in the surface, you'll probably notice any kind of road imperfection then when the car has just 2 passengers.
Old 09-19-06, 07:18 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Could it be the brakes? When stopping with a heavy load the car will naturally nose down when stopping. Perhaps after you have come to a rest and you slightly release the brake pedal it might relax to its normal ride position. Just guessing here.
Old 09-19-06, 09:46 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Have you checked inside your trunk? No kidnapped person hiding in there?
After reading the topic name of this thread, I thought we gonna talk about some fancy hydraulics modding to make your car bounce up/down like in those old school rap low rider videos

This problem does appear to be strange. Have you talk to your dealership about it? The weight distribution of 4 people should not cause this problem, in theory. But, than we don't know how will suspension and breaking react to that considering that our car is designed for an extremely soft ride. With my daughter's car seat in the back, I never get 4 people in the car...