ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Navigation Override

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 10:02 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

dreyfus, bro, thanks man... Those pics are awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for... I'm going to buy one, even though I don't own an iPod, it's worth it for the I agree screen, and def worth it if someone brings an Ipod into my car

As far as the location of the iPod, I am thinking that if you can control 100% of the iPod features through the nav screen, then I will have the iPod in a completely hidden location.

I assume the cable that connects the iPod to the Vaistech is proprietary? I wonder if Vaistech could be cajoled into making a longer one, so it could go away in the glovebox, or center console, etc...
Old 10-14-06, 10:14 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
As far as the location of the iPod, I am thinking that if you can control 100% of the iPod features through the nav screen, then I will have the iPod in a completely hidden location.

I assume the cable that connects the iPod to the Vaistech is proprietary? I wonder if Vaistech could be cajoled into making a longer one, so it could go away in the glovebox, or center console, etc...
I recommend keeping the iPod accessible so you can use it elsewhere and upload new songs to it. But more hidden away than I have it is probably a good idea.

Just mount your VaisTech unit nearer the center of the car and you won't have a problem. It can go just about anywhere. I mounted mine where I did because it was convenient for me and as I didn't want my iPod taking up room in the center storage or glovebox the cable length wasn't an issue.

I'll bet VaisTech would consider sending you a longer cable if you asked. Or you could splice in a longer section yourself. It shouldn't be difficult.

Last edited by dreyfus; 10-14-06 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-01-06, 11:38 PM
josephlee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think 6.1 do have a secret menu

Guys, this is what i found on another website that I came across:

#100 of 111 Navigation System Override on 2007 Avalon by gn0me1 Oct 15, 2006 (10:37 am)
Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
Hi!

I just bought a new 2007 Avalon Limited this week with the navigation system as an option. I became very irritated when I found out that it is impossible to have the passenger access most of the system while I am driving. I searched all forums I could find but no seemed to have a solution. The only thing I could find was the "Service" menu and the "override" option that works for the touch screen version of the navigation system. I have the "joystick" version so it is no good for me.
After reading all the posts I could find, I started experimenting with a lot of button combinations trying to find how to access the service menu and eventually I succeded!!!

I have version 6.1 of the DVD and the "joystick" version (i.e. not touch screen) of the Nav. system.

Here is how you do it:

You have to accept the initial warning first, then you follow the steps below (at any time, even while driving).

1. Press "Menu" button
2. Select "DVD", this will show you the version of the DVD.
3. In the joystick, press the arrows in this sequence.
a. Up
b. Down
c. Up
d. Down
e. Left
f. Right
4. You should now have the "Service" menu on the screen.
5. Go to override and HOLD the select button down until it changes color (maybe it beeps too, I have sound turned off so I don't know).
6. Press the "Back" button

This will allow you to enter addresses while driving and all other options normally greyed out. The procedure must be repeated every time you start the car, but it only takes a few seconds.

I hope someone finds this information useful, just remember, dont do this while driving, it is for the passenger.

(If this has already been posted I apologize, but I really could not find it anywhere else.)
---I am not sure if the Avalon uses the Denso product. But if so, it states that its 6.1. Hope it helps ppl who is still investigating the problem

Last edited by josephlee; 11-02-06 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-02-06, 01:50 PM
e-Mel
Rookie

Originally Posted by josephlee
Guys, this is what i found on another website that I came across:

---I am not sure if the Avalon uses the Denso product. But if so, it states that its 6.1. Hope it helps ppl who is still investigating the problem
Thanks Joseph
Doesn't work on ES350 but at least we're getting warmer.
Old 11-02-06, 02:06 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by e-Mel
Thanks Joseph
Doesn't work on ES350 but at least we're getting warmer.
He has the right idea... Just try similar sequences on different screens... Eventually we'll discover the new sequence!
Old 11-02-06, 10:08 PM
josephlee
Driver

haha, really hope someone can find where the secret menu is....so that the passengers can watch movies when driving long distance...instead of just sleeping which makes me doze off also
Old 11-03-06, 08:32 PM
weinrdog
Driver School Candidate

In the spirit of consolidating & sharing.

I found a sequence on another site, but can't re-find it now. It was either About or a Prius chat site.

After pressing 'I Agree'
Press & Hold INFO button
Turn parking lights on 3 times.

This brings you to a series of system check/service menus. Some of them seem to be the same as the Menu-Volume method in 5.1, but I have not been able to find an override menu entry there. I also have not been able to return to normal operation without turning off the vehicle.
Old 11-04-06, 02:59 PM
josephlee
Driver

parking lights.....as in headlights?
Old 11-04-06, 06:48 PM
weinrdog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by josephlee
parking lights.....as in headlights?
Yes - just to the first click.
Old 11-06-06, 05:34 PM
rhinnard
Driver School Candidate

This most definitely does work but I don't see anyway to do the override as discussed earlier in this thread.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-06-06, 09:39 PM
josephlee
Driver

Originally Posted by rhinnard
This most definitely does work but I don't see anyway to do the override as discussed earlier in this thread.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Bob
Hey Bob,

turning the parking lights sure brings you into the service menu. However, the override function is not located in there. However, I believe THERE IS an override function somewhere in the denso 6.1 system. This is due to the fact that Avalon owners, which have the joystick version of the 6.1 nav, have figured out the way to solve this problem. Please check my earlier post in this page.

Joe
Old 11-06-06, 09:50 PM
2point5is
Driver School Candidate

yea i didnt see anything either, just checks on sensors and stuff.

Landon
Old 11-07-06, 07:38 AM
weinrdog
Driver School Candidate

That is correct about the override not being there. I just wanted to consolidate information and show a different input method that I had not heard mentioned here before.
Old 11-07-06, 07:53 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Those of you with a 2007, just keep trying different (similar) sequences on various screens on your navigation. The override definitely still exists in the V6.1, it's just been moved and/or slightly changed. Keep trying, we'll find it! Just like that guy who found it for V6.1 on the Avalon!
Old 11-07-06, 05:33 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW - I have the 5.1 system and the parking light overide works on my system too. As stated, it is a totally different maintenance screen and apparently common to both versions.

Pete

Quick Reply: Navigation Override