ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Navigation Override

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-06, 04:44 PM
gappell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone explored the other options on the service menu? You may notice that the time may be set in one of the menus. This time is to be set in GMT. It is used in the computation of the estimated arrival time for the navigation system. I don't know if it is smart enough to know when daylight savings time starts and ends. Next year the times change. I also assume that it knows the time zone you are traveling in because you pick the map zone. Has anyone traveled across country and can verify its accuracy?

You should verify the correct time to obtain the most accurate results. On the east coast GMT is 5 hours ahead.
Old 11-11-06, 08:14 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gappell
Has anyone explored the other options on the service menu? You may notice that the time may be set in one of the menus. This time is to be set in GMT. It is used in the computation of the estimated arrival time for the navigation system. I don't know if it is smart enough to know when daylight savings time starts and ends. Next year the times change. I also assume that it knows the time zone you are traveling in because you pick the map zone. Has anyone traveled across country and can verify its accuracy?

You should verify the correct time to obtain the most accurate results. On the east coast GMT is 5 hours ahead.
Slight tangent, somewhat in response to your post--why couldn't Lexus engineer the nav so that it can use the GPS-derived clock (with appropriate time zone adjustment by vehicle owner) to display the time on the screen, rather than go with that (IMHO) cheesy LED clock that really should be more at home on a Toyota-branded model? At least by using the GPS clock, the time display will be more accurate than the existing clock (by how much I dunno, but that's besides the point), and there would normally be no need to manually set both the hour and minute after a power loss (nothing like pressing the "M" button to set the correct minute, right?)...and of course the one thing that clearly looks out of place inside a luxury vehicle like the Lexus would no longer be there.

Also--and I ask this because I'm probably too clueless to figure it out for myself--IIRC the Lexus nav allows you to set the time zone; now why would there be any need for a setting like that if the nav doesn't tell you what time you'll arrive at your destination--it only tells you time remaining to destination? I know gappell mentioned that the time could be set in the nav menu and that it is used for calculating the estimated arrival time, but I would think time zones would have no bearing on how long it takes to get to a destination; after all if it took say 5 hours to go from Las Vegas to Denver, would the amount of travel time change because you went from Pacific to Mountain time zone? After all, the nav doesn' tell you what time you'll arrive at your destination--only how much time is remaining before you get there...not unless there is some hidden setting we don't know about that'll display the actually arrival time.
Old 11-20-06, 06:22 AM
gappell
Rookie

Originally Posted by toneman
Slight tangent, somewhat in response to your post--why couldn't Lexus engineer the nav so that it can use the GPS-derived clock (with appropriate time zone adjustment by vehicle owner) to display the time on the screen, rather than go with that (IMHO) cheesy LED clock that really should be more at home on a Toyota-branded model? At least by using the GPS clock, the time display will be more accurate than the existing clock (by how much I dunno, but that's besides the point), and there would normally be no need to manually set both the hour and minute after a power loss (nothing like pressing the "M" button to set the correct minute, right?)...and of course the one thing that clearly looks out of place inside a luxury vehicle like the Lexus would no longer be there.

Also--and I ask this because I'm probably too clueless to figure it out for myself--IIRC the Lexus nav allows you to set the time zone; now why would there be any need for a setting like that if the nav doesn't tell you what time you'll arrive at your destination--it only tells you time remaining to destination? [I know gappell mentioned that the time could be set in the nav menu and that it is used for calculating the estimated arrival time, but I would think time zones would have no bearing on how long it takes to get to a destination; after all if it took say 5 hours to go from Las Vegas to Denver, would the amount of travel time change because you went from Pacific to Mountain time zone? After all, the nav doesn' tell you what time you'll arrive at your destination--only how much time is remaining before you get there...not unless there is some hidden setting we don't know about that'll display the actually arrival time.

Pushing the screen where it shows the time to destination switches modes to the arrival time. That is why it is important to have the proper zone and time set on the navigation system.
Old 11-21-06, 12:54 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gappell
[/B]

Pushing the screen where it shows the time to destination switches modes to the arrival time. That is why it is important to have the proper zone and time set on the navigation system.
Ahhh, I didn't know that...thanks for the info!

But I still think that Lexus could have incorporated the clock/time display on the nav screen, rather than give us that cheesy LED clock that looks more at home on a non-luxury vehicle; that, or at least give us a classy-looking clock similar to the one that Infiniti offers in their vehicles.

Last edited by toneman; 11-21-06 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-21-06, 01:02 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GPS time is extremely accurate and why they haven't started to use it, I dont't know. But they should.
Old 12-16-06, 02:26 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

I've not heard of any over rides for the Map DVD 6.1 software as yet but someone on here found a way by coping one of the files from 5.1 to 6.1 and it worked. I think the map DVD is double layer, so I can't copy the file and make a new replacement dvd.

Oh yes, there was one item left out in this thread, when you get to the over ride screen and press the over ride menu item you must hold it for 3 sec. Also be very careful not to go messing around with the other menu items as you can get yourself into trouble.

Last edited by osokuko; 12-16-06 at 03:04 PM.