ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

push button start failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 04:59 PM
phm129
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default push button start failure

I picked up my 2007 ES 350 on 4/28/06 and have about 3600 miles on it. On 9/6/06 I went out to leave for work at 6:30 a.m. When I pushed the start button I got the message "no key is detected". I looked in my purse and yes, it was there, so I tried again and got the same message. Luckily we have 3 cars and 2 drivers so I did have something to drive to work. The 2nd set of keys wouldn't work either- it wouldn't start, doors wouldn't lock or unlock and trunk wouldn't open from the "key".
Someone from the service department and a technician came to my home later that day and it started -for them on about the 10th try. They shut it off and it took 8-10 tries to start again. They took the car to the dealership- both quite puzzled. Of course, they've never had this problem before-except for someone who had 2 Lexuses and was trying to use the wrong key to start their car.
They contacted Lexus technical assistance and replaced the computer module- it still didn't start right. A Lexus field engineeer was supposed to look at it today, 9/18/06, and the service department finally called today to tell me that it is fixed- a connection was the problem (I'll give more details when I have the information). They are driving my car tonight and doing additional checks tomorrow and I am supposed to be able to pick it up tomorrow. I will post the results.
I did have a talk with my salesman and the service department rep. about getting the highest extended warranty at no cost. I don't know if that is enough to make me feel safe and secure.
The service department has been extremely accomodating- I have received a call every day about the progress or lack of it. They also offered to deliver the car to my place of employment tomorrow when it is ready. I told them that I would rather pick it up myself (I live about 3 miles from the dealership). I also want copies of their records of everything they did to my car and felt it was better to be at the service department when I make that request. I also want to make sure the extended warranty is not forgotten.

I hope that no one else has this problem, but felt I had to warn everyone about it.
I do love everything else about my Lexus.
Old 09-18-06, 05:26 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either I need you negotiating for me about my plight with my car given it's multiple problems with engine, transmission, other, or asking for the highest warranty program might be excessive for what happened to you though I am sure it was perplexing and inconvenient.

In the manual it says if this happens hold the key fob very close to the push button when pushing the button, if this happens again it may at least get you started though still would need service.

Just curious what you would expect if your brand new car needed a valve job and a transmission overhaul if not a complete replacement of transmission having no fix for the things mine does or doesn't do?
Old 09-18-06, 06:13 PM
phm129
Driver School Candidate

I noticed that someone suggested that you check Florida's Lemon Laws- Ohio has strong Lemon Laws.
Have they talked about a new tramsmission? That would help some of your problems. I know some people mentioned replacement cars for serious problems- but then I read later that they weren't doing that anymore.
Unfortunately, I think it depends a lot on your dealer. Some people said that they tried other dealers.
Your problems sound aggravating.
The dealer having the car for 2 weeks because it wouldn't start is serious to me. I did read in the Owner's Manual about holding the key fob close to the button later- but didn't have time to check everything out at 6:30 a.m. That only works if the battery in the key fob is low- in my case it was something with the starter. I'm just glad it didn't happen far from home or late at night.
Old 09-18-06, 06:53 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

When I was looking at the 07's ES, I pondered and asked the service department about the cost of replacing the starter, out of warranty, they told me $1500 With all the computer systems in newer cars, its also costs more to replace items out of warranty. Hopefully in 4 years the price to replace the starter will go down. I asked them about replacing the Navigation system and you guys dont wanna know how much that would be post warranty!
Old 09-19-06, 08:21 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

probably more than double the cost of the nav system itself. I know the screen on the Prius costs near $4k brand new... a refurbished one will set you back a couple hundred instead.
Old 09-19-06, 12:37 PM
Kacee
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar problem once very briefly. My son was in the passenger seat and opened his door to get out while the car was running, in park. The message "key not detected" flashed on briefly, but by the time he got back into the car it went away and everything was fine. Hasn't happened since. However, do have another problem, whole nav unit has to be replaced. I was driving along and the unit read "Map DVD not found". Took it in and service is replacing the whole unit. My service advisor did say she was not aware of any ES350 problems at all. I was surprised to hear that, although it is a small dealer, but don't they read Club Lexus?
Old 09-19-06, 01:42 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I did have a talk with my salesman and the service department rep. about getting the highest extended warranty at no cost. I don't know if that is enough to make me feel safe and secure.

Good luck with that request but I highly doubt you will get it. It's a mechanical thing. There is bound to be a problem once in a while. Now if the same problem continues, then that's another story.
Old 09-20-06, 06:38 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is exactly why cars and other big ticket items come with a warranty. There is a small chance that a part can be defective and they repair it for free. Lexus even gives you a loaner car to drive while they make the repair. Hey, **** happens. I am sorry it happened to you.

On the ES, there is a lot of new technology and parts may go bad. I don't think there is anything out there that says there is going to be a 0% failure rate. But, at Lexus, your chances of failure are a lot lower than some other makes.
Old 09-22-06, 07:28 PM
phm129
Driver School Candidate

I just wanted to let you know the results of the repairs for the push button start failure.
I picked my car up on Tuesday, 9/19/06. (It had been at the dealer since 9/6/06.) Everything has worked fine since then but the problem was more complicated than just replacing the "push button start".
They replaced the "ID box and immobilizer ECU" but it still wouldn't detect or register the smart key. They had to remove the dash and heater control box to access the ID box. They finally got it to register the smart key but the car still wouldn't start.
They finally determined that they needed to replace the main engine ECU and tested this by removing the engine ECU from an instock ES350 and testing it in mine and everything worked fine. So they replaced my "main engine ECU" and it is working.
I can't imagine what all of the parts and labor would be for this repair which ended up to be much more complicated than the push button start. Thank God for warranties.

The service manager called today to let me know that Lexus would give me a 100,000 mile extended warranty. I had mentioned to him that I was a little worried about the reliability of the car and had purchased it, after considering several other vehicles, because of the reliability of the Lexus line.

The service department was very accommodating. They kept me updated with the progress of my repair almost daily and called the day after I picked it up to make sure everything was working alright. When I picked it up the technician who had worked on it told me that if I had any further problems with it that I should make sure I asked for him.
I know Lexus is all about service, but I feel that the people I dealt with went above and beyond and I appreciate that.
Old 09-22-06, 07:49 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I am glad that your car is back and working, and that you are happy with how you were dealt with. The fact that you were very clear with Lexus about where you stood and what you wanted allowed them to meet - or exceed - your expectations. And that is exactly what happened

I hope to have a similar experience very soon.
Old 09-22-06, 09:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow... no wonder my dad wants a Lexus, the service is soo much better.
Old 09-22-06, 09:47 PM
riley2620
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Dealer Service

You are all very lucky that you have had good service from Lexus. From the purchase to the multiple problems with the car, and to poor service and attitude from the service department and Lexus customer service, Lexus rates as the worst new car experience I have had to date. Everything about the experience has been a disappointment. I would gladly return the car today and be happier with a Hyundai at this point. The car has been in the shop for 13 days over the two months I have owned it and so far none of the various problems the car suffers from have been corrected - and no one seems to care about taking responsibility or taking care of the customer. A total disaster!
Old 09-23-06, 06:39 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Originally Posted by riley2620
You are all very lucky that you have had good service from Lexus. From the purchase to the multiple problems with the car, and to poor service and attitude from the service department and Lexus customer service, Lexus rates as the worst new car experience I have had to date. Everything about the experience has been a disappointment. I would gladly return the car today and be happier with a Hyundai at this point. The car has been in the shop for 13 days over the two months I have owned it and so far none of the various problems the car suffers from have been corrected - and no one seems to care about taking responsibility or taking care of the customer. A total disaster!
You may have already done this, but review the Lemon Law Guide provided with your other operator manuals. Page 3 gives the procedures for arbitration which is free and binding on Lexus. Good luck.
Old 09-23-06, 06:11 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by riley2620
From what i hear from this board, there are dime a dozen lexus dealerships in california try bouncing from dealer to dealer and maybe one of them will actually agree and solve your problems. I know you bought the lexus for its reliability and blah blah blah, in the end its a FIRST year model and with that comes a lot of baggage. Otherwise do what i posted on the other thread!
Old 10-12-06, 07:19 PM
phm129
Driver School Candidate

I received my 100,000 mile warranty in the mail yesterday. Everything has worked fine since the repair was completed. I do hold my breath for a short second every time I start it though, and probably will for a while (It has been a little over 2 weeks since I got my car back).

Quick Reply: push button start failure