ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Are We Tired Of Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06 | 10:33 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

You're right, its the pilot sport a/s, they are very quiet and improves handling a bit.
Old 09-21-06 | 04:43 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by cyke
twister,

I believe many are waiting for somebody to upgrade the wheels & tires and report on it. Only "lbeal" has 18" wheels on his ES350 and reported no difference vs 17" wheels. I would like to see pics as well and see how it looks from behind.cyke
Didn't lbeal buy his car with 18's already on it? If so, how would he know the difference?? Hopefully he will chime in.

Excellent thread guys! Unfortunately my wife has us remodeling the kitchen right now so there will be no new wheels in my near future. Time for someone else to step up to the plate.
Old 09-21-06 | 10:05 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Macklin
Didn't lbeal buy his car with 18's already on it? If so, how would he know the difference?? Hopefully he will chime in.
Exactly, he got his car modded already because the original driver went through all of the modifications and than traded it in for S-Class. I'm afraid that "lbeal" only signed up with this forum to make a few post, and no longer visits this place. I already PMed him asking the same question...

For those who don't know what we're talking about, here is a copy'n'paste of his original reply and also a picture of this car with 18" on it.

Originally Posted by lbeal
Specs on the car:
Tires: 225H/45R/18
Interior: Black
Satellite Radio: XM
Wheels: After market, GINO (18")
Mileage: 5000
Avg. Mile: Hwy 30 or 31; Street about 22 - 23; Combined 24 - 26
Ride Feel: Sportier than stock ES 350

I purchased the car from a dealer in Minnesota. At the time the car already had 4500 miles on it and was loaded (tires, wheels, tinted windows, Mark Lev. sound system, NAVI, etc.). I purchased it for $38700.

The story goes that a gentleman owned the car for about two months. Put on these accessories and then turned it in for a Mercedes S-Class. I got a really good deal on it.

The picture was taken from the showroom floor of a dealer. I have not taken any recent pictures.
If I'm reading correctly between the lines, when he talks about "ride feel" sportier than stock ES350, I'm making an assumption that he test drove a regular 17" ES350 and now comparing it with his modded 18".
Old 09-21-06 | 10:31 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Go Twister, Go Twister!!!!
You the man!!!
I have a better idea, let my bizarro-bro Kaius88 do it first

I really miss all his personal drama here in this forum. I think something like that will be a source for a few good stories and another muti-page thread. I can only imagine him coming home to tell his wife he just spent $2k-$3k on new wheels
Old 09-21-06 | 12:49 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

I think it goes w/o saying that if you choose to purchase a wheel/tire package from Tire Rack, you'll either need to purchase another set of Lexus TPM sensors, which Tire Rack may or may not carry--if they do, then it remains to be seen if they'll install them onto the new wheels for free (they mount/balance for free but don't mention if that is still the case if TPM sensors are involved)...or pay a local tire shop a not-so-insignificant amount of money to have them, a) unmount (i.e., remove the tire from the wheel) your OEM tires so that they can remove the TPM sensors from them; b) remount/rebalance the OEM tires/wheels; c) unmount the set of wheels/tires that you bought from Tire Rack; d) install the TPM sensors onto the new wheels...and that's assuming that the sensors will install correctly onto the new wheels; and e) remount/rebalance your new wheels/tires.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...unless you're buddies w/ the owner of your local tire shop, be prepared to shell out some extra money (I wouldn't be surprised if they charge you at least $40 to perform all of the above) since that is quite a bit of labor involved when dealing with 8 tires/wheels.
Old 09-21-06 | 05:45 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I would probably go with a local shop for everything. TireRack is great for a research and "visual" of seeing wheels on your car. Its a big purchase to order on-line and have them ship it to your home. Instead, I just bring my car to a local place and let them take care of everything, plus they will guarantee their work. BTW, extra $40 is not a big deal comparing to $2k-$3k you can spend on a set of 4 wheels/tires. Either way, I'm myself hoping someone else will go ahead first and let us know about it
Old 09-21-06 | 08:40 PM
cyke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Macklin

Excellent thread guys! Unfortunately my wife has us remodeling the kitchen right now so there will be no new wheels in my near future. Time for someone else to step up to the plate.
Macklin,

I was assuming that he test drove an ES350 with stock 17 inchers. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope he'll chime in.

cyke
Old 09-22-06 | 04:09 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by cyke
Macklin,
I was assuming that he test drove an ES350 with stock 17 inchers. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope he'll chime in.cyke
Yes, but you don't become intimately familiar with a car and its handling characteristics on a test drive....even if its an extended one. But maybe he is an expert...

Wonder what happened to lbeal?
Old 09-22-06 | 06:06 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
I would probably go with a local shop for everything. TireRack is great for a research and "visual" of seeing wheels on your car. Its a big purchase to order on-line and have them ship it to your home. Instead, I just bring my car to a local place and let them take care of everything, plus they will guarantee their work. BTW, extra $40 is not a big deal comparing to $2k-$3k you can spend on a set of 4 wheels/tires. Either way, I'm myself hoping someone else will go ahead first and let us know about it
Just one point in favor of Tire Rack. They mount and balance the tires on the rims and will ship them wherever you like. If you want (and I've done this) you can have them shipped right to your dealer. After arrival, all you have to do is go down there and they will mount the four new wheels/tires on your vehicle for a few bucks. Or you can have them shipped to you and you can do it yourself.

Tirte Rack is an absolutely first rate place to do business with and I would never use anyone but them in the future.
Old 09-22-06 | 11:40 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Just one point in favor of Tire Rack. They mount and balance the tires on the rims and will ship them wherever you like. If you want (and I've done this) you can have them shipped right to your dealer. After arrival, all you have to do is go down there and they will mount the four new wheels/tires on your vehicle for a few bucks. Or you can have them shipped to you and you can do it yourself.

Tirte Rack is an absolutely first rate place to do business with and I would never use anyone but them in the future.
Agreed...if you don't have to deal with TPM sensors; unless TR carries the exact TPM sensor for your particular vehicle, you will need to a) purchase another set; b) have your local tire shop swap out the ones from your OEM wheels onto your new wheels; or c) forgo TPM on your new wheels, which means dealing with the idiot light/message on your dash informing you that you have a TPM-related issue. Now if your local tire shop or dealer is willing to unmount your freshly-mounted and balanced wheels/tires, install the TPM sensors, and mount and balance your wheels/tires...at no charge--then you got it made. However, I honestly don't see any shop/dealer willing to perform all that labor for free, IMHO.

Me--for a few more dollars (okay, maybe not just a few but you get the idea) I'd be willing to pay the slight premium (mostly from the cost of the wheel/tire itself when purchased from a brick and mortar tire shop) at my local Les Schwab tire shop...where they offer free balancing, tire rotation, road hazard, protection, and flat repair on tires/wheels purchased and installed at their stores for as long as you own the tires and they still have legal tread left on them. I know--not every state has a Les Schwab store, but for those four extras it is worth paying a little extra for wheels/tires in my case.

FWIW--in no way am I crapping on Tire Rack; they do offer some really great prices on many of their wheels and tires.