ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Car Wash-Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06 | 07:53 AM
ala1908
Driver School Candidate

Default Car Wash-Windshield Wipers

Hey guys--

This is most likely obvious to all you car intellects, but I put my new ES350 (Blue Onyx Pearl/Cashmere interior-Ultra Luxury/ML) through the brushless car wash, and I didn't realize the winshield wipers were in automatic mode...They started going while in the wash, and it dented the frame of the windshield wiper on the drivers side (not the blade)...It ruined it, so I took it to Lexus, and it cost me 130 bucks for a new wiper.
Beware! Turn those wipers off auto mode!!!
Old 09-21-06 | 09:08 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

i wash it at the dealer, and i wonder if those guys would be careful and check before putting thru the wash. The off position is right under "mist" right? I think its the top position since mist bouces back to off automatically. Please confirm.
Old 09-21-06 | 12:27 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I am awaiting delivery of the Black Sapphire (same as your Blue Onyx) Ultra - ML with cashmere interior. Do you have any pictures available to view?
Old 09-21-06 | 01:58 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by garsarno
I am awaiting delivery of the Black Sapphire (same as your Blue Onyx) Ultra - ML with cashmere interior. Do you have any pictures available to view?
Mine is a Smokey Granite Mica, tho looks the same as Blue Onyx in the dark.
Old 09-21-06 | 07:25 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Isn't it the 2nd indent? It goes

MIST, OFF, AUTO, LO, HI
Old 09-22-06 | 09:15 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Well. a Black Sapphire / Cashmere ES350 Ultra - ML just popped up on ebay motors today. Getting my fill looking at photos of our anticipated ES350 destined for delivery next week (at the earliest) in Wilkes Barre, PA. Can't wait!
Old 09-22-06 | 10:31 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by garsarno
Well. a Black Sapphire / Cashmere ES350 Ultra - ML just popped up on ebay motors today. Getting my fill looking at photos of our anticipated ES350 destined for delivery next week (at the earliest) in Wilkes Barre, PA. Can't wait!
I saw that eBay ad also. That dealer's pretty cute. They're trying to get over list price for that car!!
Old 09-22-06 | 11:07 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

If you read further, he is not only giving a "big" $1,000 discount but taking 50% of the discount away for dealer transaction fees that you must pay, no matter what.
Old 09-22-06 | 12:07 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kaius88
i wash it at the dealer, and i wonder if those guys would be careful and check before putting thru the wash.
Okay I might get flamed for this but...sheesh, why should it be (primarily) up to the car wash guy to be careful and make sure that the wipers are not on AUTO mode? It's not as if it would be their fault if some part of your vehicle was damaged during the car wash due to the wipers being activated because they forgot to turn off AUTO mode. That's just like saying that they should pay for water damage to the interior of your car due to you having forgotten to close the moonroof since they should have known better and closed the moonroof to begin with. Would they be stupid to have not done so--sure. Would they be responsible for any damage arising from that? No more responsible than you would be since you're the one who left it open in the first place.

In any case--if you had the forethought to put the wiper in AUTO mode in the first place, is it too much to remember to turn it off if you had concerns about car washes and such? Or are you (not directed at anyone here in particular) of the Ronco mentality--"set it and forget it"?

Hmmm--maybe the car wash guy should check to see if the headlights aren't in AUTO mode too--heaven forbid that they might turn on while the car is going through the relatively-darkened car wash facility (e.g., covered automated car wash places) and wind up draining the battery.
Old 09-22-06 | 01:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toneman
Okay I might get flamed for this but...sheesh, why should it be (primarily) up to the car wash guy to be careful and make sure that the wipers are not on AUTO mode? It's not as if it would be their fault if some part of your vehicle was damaged during the car wash due to the wipers being activated because they forgot to turn off AUTO mode. That's just like saying that they should pay for water damage to the interior of your car due to you having forgotten to close the moonroof since they should have known better and closed the moonroof to begin with. Would they be stupid to have not done so--sure. Would they be responsible for any damage arising from that? No more responsible than you would be since you're the one who left it open in the first place.

In any case--if you had the forethought to put the wiper in AUTO mode in the first place, is it too much to remember to turn it off if you had concerns about car washes and such? Or are you (not directed at anyone here in particular) of the Ronco mentality--"set it and forget it"?

Hmmm--maybe the car wash guy should check to see if the headlights aren't in AUTO mode too--heaven forbid that they might turn on while the car is going through the relatively-darkened car wash facility (e.g., covered automated car wash places) and wind up draining the battery.
Those are interesting points. Have you ever checked out the disclaimers posted at the entrance to most car washes? They list ALL of the things they're not responsible for. At my Lexus dealer, someone takes the car from the customer, drives it around to the car wash, while the customer waits in the waiting area. No disclaimers are viewed by the customer. Who's responsible? Whadya think?
Old 09-22-06 | 02:45 PM
CyclopStan
Rookie

I think if the car is in for service and the last thing they do is wash it, then they bare the responsibility. If give them the car to wash, its on you.
Old 09-22-06 | 02:50 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Those are interesting points. Have you ever checked out the disclaimers posted at the entrance to most car washes? They list ALL of the things they're not responsible for. At my Lexus dealer, someone takes the car from the customer, drives it around to the car wash, while the customer waits in the waiting area. No disclaimers are viewed by the customer. Who's responsible? Whadya think?
no disclaimer at my dealership also. Not that I would blame the guy if it were my mistake, but I figure since they eat, sleep and breathe Lexus all day, they would notice if something were not right.... I dunno. The moonroof has a nice warning if you turn off car with it open....so thats no problem. The windows i always keep closed unless my daughter accidentally opens her side and i am aware enough to close it up. The wipers basically is not because I forget.... I assume it was in off position because it went through the car wash before i took delivery, and I never turned on the auto. So i guess we all just need to be careful and know what position the auto is.
Old 09-22-06 | 03:11 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

Originally Posted by ala1908
Hey guys--

This is most likely obvious to all you car intellects, but I put my new ES350 (Blue Onyx Pearl/Cashmere interior-Ultra Luxury/ML) through the brushless car wash, and I didn't realize the winshield wipers were in automatic mode...They started going while in the wash, and it dented the frame of the windshield wiper on the drivers side (not the blade)...It ruined it, so I took it to Lexus, and it cost me 130 bucks for a new wiper.
Beware! Turn those wipers off auto mode!!!
Sorry, I'm a little slow sometimes, but if the machine was brushless and all it is spraying is soap and water then what caused the damage?