ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

voice command prompt to wordy

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 05:18 AM
Lex350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voice command prompt to wordy

Ok the one thing that I find very annoying is the wordy voice command prompt instructions. When using "Dail By Number" the voice tells you to wait for the display to update and to press the talk button and it does that again when you select a name... Please wait for the display to update before pushing the talk or off hook button.

I looked for a way to turn if off but the setup feature to turn off voice guidance only turns off the initial "After the beep please say your command" message.

And why can't I just say "Call Home" from any screen and have it just dial...

Do anyone else share the frustration and is there any we can do?

It seems that a software update would be helpful.
Old 09-22-06, 06:04 AM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, for what it is worth, when I am going to use the phone functions, if I push the off-hook switch first and I am on the "keypad" screen, then I push the voice command button it will prompt for the number by voice directly without having to wait for the update.
Old 09-22-06, 06:15 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

The whole "Voice Command" thing is absolutely worthless and just another "gee whiz" feature that does nothing even remotely useful. I put it right up there with keyless start as one of those "gee, look what we can do with technology that does absolutely nothing to improve the driving experience" features.

I wish Lexus would have spent the money they put into these two worthless features into designing a car that handled a bit better.
Old 09-22-06, 07:31 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex350
Ok the one thing that I find very annoying is the wordy voice command prompt instructions. When using "Dail By Number" the voice tells you to wait for the display to update and to press the talk button and it does that again when you select a name... Please wait for the display to update before pushing the talk or off hook button.

I looked for a way to turn if off but the setup feature to turn off voice guidance only turns off the initial "After the beep please say your command" message.

And why can't I just say "Call Home" from any screen and have it just dial...

Do anyone else share the frustration and is there any we can do?

It seems that a software update would be helpful.
I agree with you 100%. I don't use the voice command, it is too wordy and it does not understand me most of the time.

An easy way to dial the phone while driving is to hit the unhook button on the wheel, then dial the phone number using your cell phone's keypad. It works even easier than pushing it on the touch screen if you were stopped.

However, I do like the speed dial function and use that if I am calling a number that is loaded.
Old 09-22-06, 08:44 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MD350
I agree with you 100%. I don't use the voice command, it is too wordy and it does not understand me most of the time.

An easy way to dial the phone while driving is to hit the unhook button on the wheel, then dial the phone number using your cell phone's keypad. It works even easier than pushing it on the touch screen if you were stopped.

However, I do like the speed dial function and use that if I am calling a number that is loaded.
wait so you can hit the unhook and use the speed dial that is programmed in your phone also? That would be a lot easier i imagine. Since my current phone is not bluetooth compatible, i cant test it. Im going to get a new phone next month and i think this feature would be helpful.

As for the comment about the quick Start/Stop ignition button.... imagine this scenario: You are parked in a dark alley, and you notice you are being followed. As you run closer to your car, your potential attacker speeds up his pace. There is no time to fumble around with keys. You open your car door and push start and drive off...... This can save your life!
Old 09-22-06, 08:52 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kaius88
wait so you can hit the unhook and use the speed dial that is programmed in your phone also? That would be a lot easier i imagine. Since my current phone is not bluetooth compatible, i cant test it. Im going to get a new phone next month and i think this feature would be helpful.
Yes, that is correct. Also, I have Nextel and I am able to direct connect via the bluetooth in the car by pushing the direct connect button on my phone.
Old 09-22-06, 10:46 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
The whole "Voice Command" thing is absolutely worthless and just another "gee whiz" feature that does nothing even remotely useful. I put it right up there with keyless start as one of those "gee, look what we can do with technology that does absolutely nothing to improve the driving experience" features.

I wish Lexus would have spent the money they put into these two worthless features into designing a car that handled a bit better.
Boy, for a guy that had nothing but rave reviews when you first bought your car you certainly have changed your tune. These options are "icing on the cake", but basically, this car does what it was designed to do. It's NOT a Sports sedan!
Old 09-22-06, 11:19 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amf1932
Boy, for a guy that had nothing but rave reviews when you first bought your car you certainly have changed your tune. These options are "icing on the cake", but basically, this car does what it was designed to do. It's NOT a Sports sedan!
Please don't misunderstand. I really do love the car but I am also objective and do want to point out not only bad features (engine clatter and poor handling) but needless/wasteful features (keyless start/voice command). This should not be equated with "not loving the car."

There are still a host of features that I love. Included here would be the car's amazing power and even more amazing gas mileage. I also love the backup camera, the ML audio, ipod connectivity, bluetooth, adaptive lighting and instrumentation. In terms of that hard to quantify quality of "value for the dollar" this thing is a slam dunk. Compared to the $10,000 - $15,000 more expensive BMW 5 series or M-B E350, this car is a steal!

The interior is a bit spartan for my tastes and it could clearly use more wood, especially above the glove box.