ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 06:40 PM
kilowatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission issue

OK, 4000k on the '07 350. Trans slippage has begun. For those that have been there, what type of resolution/response can I expect from the dealer ??

Thanks in advance
Old 09-26-06, 08:46 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Curious; 4000k miles on an 2007 350 ?

What is the indication of transmission slippage on a vehicle with four thousand miles?

You may expect Lexus to listen to your concern ... and respond accordingly.
Old 09-26-06, 11:07 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

0-2000kms - noticed no real issues with trans. Very smooth gear shifts. Noticed that trans seemed to want to keep 'pushing' the vehicle forward when slowing down to a stop - more stop pedal pressure was required.

2000-4000kms - started to notice occasional slippage for no reason when driving - very surprised at the time. RPMs spiked when changing in a middle gear (I wasn't sure which gear back then as the trans had been so smooth). Other gearshifts still smooth. Towards 4000kms the 'pushing' of the vehicle when stopping has disappeared completely. Vehicle still quiet zoomy in engine\trans performance though.

4000-6000kms - slippage becomes more repeatable. Almost everyday occurance in 3rd gear. Determined it happens more when trans is cold or cool. Gearshifts becoming somewhat erratic, not smoothly shifting anymore.

6000-8500kms - slippage almost everyday in 3rd when trans cold. Start to notice hard shifts in 1-2 and 2-3rd. Upper gears occasionally seem harsh or slurring in changes. When hot, vehicle sometimes feels like its lost 50+hp as when you accelerate from a stop it's slow to take off.

8500-current (10K). - Absolutely repeatable 3rd gear slip whenever trans is cold. Method is to start the car, let the engine get down to 1000rpms or just under so that engine is warm. Engage trans, drive out of parkade and guaranteed on 3rd gear change at 2000rpm = s-l-i-p-p-a-g-e. When vehicle is cold trans shifts promptly - if not sometimes harshly - in all other gears. Have now experienced large RPM slips from 1-2 and 2-3 gears when in stop\go traffic once vehicle is hot. After 20-30 mins of driving I find that in parking lots when changing 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 at 2000rpm on each that there is a whining sound coming from trans, and the gearshifts are completely slurred like in slow motion. No crisp shifts. Just a 2000rpm initiated change...slowly up to 2300rpm.....then down to 1700rpm after the change. Easily replicated using constant pressure on gas pedal from standing start. You also can hear or feel every gear shift the thing does now. Constantly aware of what its doing. Occasionally seems to start to lose the gear when driving at slower speeds. Driving at steady 40km\h on a flat surface you can hear the engine and watch the tach slowly going up\down 100-200rpms and wonder what its doing as you're not speeding up or slowing down!

My trans has gone from being beautiful to being completely crap in 10K. I guess I did get 2000kms of nice motoring from it though up until this point.
Old 09-27-06, 06:12 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

May I inquire if you have reported these transmission concerns to your Lexus dealer ? Were they able to duplicate the slippage? What was they're response, if any ?

This should be documented with your dealer, to establish that the failure has begun at such a low mileage.
Old 09-27-06, 09:06 AM
Henine
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kilowatt
OK, 4000k on the '07 350. Trans slippage has begun. For those that have been there, what type of resolution/response can I expect from the dealer ??

Thanks in advance
I'm sorry to hear that your transmission slippage has begun and I hope your issue is resolved as painlessly as possible. Could you be so kind as to provide the build month of your car so that a pattern, if any, can be ascertained.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-06, 04:44 PM
PatB
Driver School Candidate

Thanks in advance
Sorry about your transmission, Kilowatt. My transmission was fixed about 2 or 3 weeks ago. My car, "Ruby", build date 5/06, had about 2000 miles on it, and the transmission problem was very similar to what Wanderer99 reported. (Great explanation, BTW!) It took about 2 weeks to get the parts. I was given a Lexus loaner. I feel that my dealership is very interested in making sure that I'm a satisfied customer. This is my first Lexus and I LOVE my car. The service manager assured me that the problem was fixed. However, I returned the car about a week later because I thought I felt the slippage again. The service manager personally delivered a new loaner RX350 to my workplace. He had Ruby tested and said she checked out fine. I wanted to take her home even though he said he would like to test her from a cold start in the morning. I figure if there's a problem it will certainly present itself. So far "Ruby's" doing great. If I have any more problems my service manager knows I'll be calling him. Hopefully, this is the end of the story. My experience with Lexus has been very positive, and I hope you find that to be true, as well. Good luck!

Last edited by PatB; 09-27-06 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 10:19 AM
PDG810810
Rookie

I noticed trans slippage at about 1K miles (3rd to 4th) only when cold and only once each morning. (or depending how long the car was cooled off)
I told the dealer and he mentioned a TSB, I took it in and they replaced some sort of valve. The problem is not fixed, the service dept. told me to wait since the transmission needs to learn your driving habits ect.
Well, it has been 2 weeks and I still have slippage. I have also had it occur twice now when it was hot. Other than that only once when cold.
So, do I take it in now or wait & see if it gets worse. It looks like it has been an unfortunate experience for some.
Old 09-28-06, 10:23 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatB
Sorry about your transmission, Kilowatt. My transmission was fixed about 2 or 3 weeks ago. My car, "Ruby", build date 5/06, had about 2000 miles on it, and the transmission problem was very similar to what Wanderer99 reported. (Great explanation, BTW!) It took about 2 weeks to get the parts. I was given a Lexus loaner. I feel that my dealership is very interested in making sure that I'm a satisfied customer. This is my first Lexus and I LOVE my car. The service manager assured me that the problem was fixed. However, I returned the car about a week later because I thought I felt the slippage again. The service manager personally delivered a new loaner RX350 to my workplace. He had Ruby tested and said she checked out fine. I wanted to take her home even though he said he would like to test her from a cold start in the morning. I figure if there's a problem it will certainly present itself. So far "Ruby's" doing great. If I have any more problems my service manager knows I'll be calling him. Hopefully, this is the end of the story. My experience with Lexus has been very positive, and I hope you find that to be true, as well. Good luck!
OMG... a 05/06 build? geez... thought they'd figured it out by then. Well, i just past my 3000 miles and everything is smooth so far. Mine is a 05/06 build also. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-28-06, 03:36 PM
kilowatt
Driver School Candidate

Wanderer99 summarized what I am experiencing very well. My build date is 06/06. Off to the dealer next week, will post outcome.
Old 09-28-06, 04:54 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Wanderer99 summarized what I am experiencing very well. My build date is 06/06. Off to the dealer next week, will post outcome.
Wait, 06/06 build date and you have tranny slippage? So you got your car some time in July, and have already accumulated 4000 miles? Do you drive a lot of highway at same constant speeds? I am wondering if aggressive driving and high mileage early on would contribute to tranny slippage.
Old 09-28-06, 07:15 PM
kilowatt
Driver School Candidate

Well, I have a 1/2 mile commute 5 days a week in Atlanta. Picked up the car on 7/12. Unfortunately have been driving @1500 miles a month on weekends(all highway) to visit father who is ill. Driving has not been "aggressive".
Old 09-28-06, 07:31 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Almost 5000 miles, build date of 04/06, reading this forum makes me feel like my trans is gonna go out, keeping fingers crossed it last for the 3 year lease
Old 10-02-06, 11:05 AM
sea60
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission still a problem in recently delivered vehicles?

Has the transmission issues been resolved with recently delivered vehicles?
I’ve been holding off buying until the transmission is no longer a problem,
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-06, 11:54 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen anything from Lexus, but I have a 7/06 build date with 2300 miles and all seems to be running well. (my fingers are crossed)
Old 10-03-06, 03:57 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Maybe this is a good idea to start posting the later build dates to see how things are going. Hopefully we will find the point where the problems have stop and we can all relax. My build is 7/06 1500 miles and no problems so far with the car.

SGM / Black UL package.

Quick Reply: transmission issue