ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Wish me luck guys!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06 | 12:15 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Default Wish me luck guys!

I will be picking up 2 ES350s tomorrow and I have my checklist of things to look for in hand.

1. Build date
2. Wind noise @ speed
3. Tranny issues
4. Noisy valves

Anything else? I hope I am doing the right thing, I almost feel like I am looking at an oncoming train and running towards it.
Old 09-30-06 | 05:58 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I will be picking up 2 ES350s tomorrow and I have my checklist of things to look for in hand.

1. Build date
2. Wind noise @ speed
3. Tranny issues
4. Noisy valves

Anything else? I hope I am doing the right thing, I almost feel like I am looking at an oncoming train and running towards it.
If I had used the above checklist I would not be in the position I am in today. I think you are pretty well set to avoid any lingering problems, though the trans issues come later for all or most i believe.

The only other things I'd check is:
wipers on high while quickly repeating misting feature or using a garden hose on windshield to see if they are rocking your vehicle as they should not do that...

and when driving on a straightaway let go of steering wheel (briefly) to see if it is strongly veering right as that will get on your nerves when driving and placing resistance clockwise on your hands on many roads. Seems they can fix that if you push them on the subject.

You might be the most well prepared new car purchaser they will have experienced.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-30-06 | 06:06 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

P.S. When checking for this valve issue, be sure you drive the car right away and that it registered cold when you started it. If it is present it will be umistakable and heard as a knocking/tapping noise on top of otherwise normal cold engine noise and/or on top of revving as you accelerate down the road.
Old 09-30-06 | 06:45 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I'd check for engine vibration. Drive the car and when stopped at a light with the trans in gear, just put your arm on the centre armrest. If the steering, console or engine vibration bug you now, its only going to get worse.

Wind Noise is an easy one to check for. Drive at 60-80mph with AC and audio off and if its there, you'll hear it coming from the front windows only, probably on both sides. You will probably find a difference between the two vehicles too in this regard. If you even remotely think you've got an issue, jump into their test RX350 vehicle afterwards and take that out and do the same thing. The RX has more road noise at speed for sure, but the windows seem to be built like vaults and seal perfectly IMO.
Old 09-30-06 | 06:57 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Wanderer is spot on with the notice vibration, I stopped complaining about it, but the morning of the first full day I owned my car, there was that valve knocking/tapping and there was vibration in steering column you can feel holding steering wheel. Also floorboards, arm rests and the like. If it does this, RUN, don't walk, away from that one.

You will notice this as most intense at stop lights, signs and when parking the car before turning it off after driving it.

It is as though the cheap motel at beach magic fingers vibration option has had a quarter thrown in it and it starts, not that pronounced, but enough of an analogy to give you an idea.
Old 09-30-06 | 09:57 AM
cocopops
Pole Position

Robert, do keep us posted. I picked up a June build SGM PP and it has the wind noise. Some of the lining on top of the car isn't fixed tightly, so I went to get it done. Now, the wind noise is kept at a minimum and it doesnt bother me that much. Fortunate to have avoided the trans issues (though its not the smoothest of all) and the valve issues.
Old 10-02-06 | 02:45 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Picked up an 8/08 build and it doesn't have any strange noises, vibrations or wind noise. Fortunately it rained tonight so I had a chance to take it out and try out the wipers. I noticed a little movement of the car at a standstill but I would be able to feel that in other cars as well. These wiper arms are pretty big and they are moving pretty fast so a little movement is unavoidable. Overall, it seems that I made out ok.

I wish you guys the best of luck with your issues and hope to god that I don't have the same issues!
Old 10-03-06 | 12:07 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Picked up an 8/08 build and it doesn't have any strange noises, vibrations or wind noise.
One would think that Lexus would have had plenty of time to resolve those issues by then...LOL!!!
Old 10-12-06 | 11:20 AM
glock22x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Wanderer is spot on with the notice vibration, I stopped complaining about it, but the morning of the first full day I owned my car, there was that valve knocking/tapping and there was vibration in steering column you can feel holding steering wheel. Also floorboards, arm rests and the like. If it does this, RUN, don't walk, away from that one.

You will notice this as most intense at stop lights, signs and when parking the car before turning it off after driving it.

It is as though the cheap motel at beach magic fingers vibration option has had a quarter thrown in it and it starts, not that pronounced, but enough of an analogy to give you an idea.
Hrmm you know that vibration problem? I had exactly the same problem with my Nissan Pathfinder 02. Nissan couldn't find the problem after a week of diagnostic. They repeatedly shooed me away by having their mechanic saying it's normal. Eventually, my Pathfinder's service engine light turned on and wouldn't start. In the end, the problem was the fuel valve regulator...it was broken and allowing fuel into the valves or something. And their reason for not being able to find it was there's no code on the computer for a broken fuel regulator Plus it costed me $250 to replace the dang thing.