ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Automatic sound levelizer (ASL)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 05:14 PM
coolcow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic sound levelizer (ASL)

Does anyone know how to use this? I turned it on but didn't notice volume automatically adjusted on highway. ??
Old 10-03-06, 05:21 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ASL lowers the volume when you are not moving and returns it to "normal" when you are moving. Some people do not notice it others do. I notice it and do not care for it so I leave it off. It's a matter of taste.
Old 10-03-06, 06:55 PM
imthedrew
Driver School Candidate

I would have to disagree with both of you. On my 98 GS 300, with the standard premium sound-system, I can tell a dramatic difference when the ASL function is selected. Overall the volume is a much louder, and the bass is most definetly "boomier." I leave the option on at all times, as the level of ambient noise within the car increases (or decreases), the ASL adjusts the levels to cope with or cancel out some of the ambient noise. >>> I really equate this to the Pioneer Stereo Reciever that I owned about 10 years ago, it had a "super bass" or "bass boost" function, that had the same exact effect on the my music. I listen to mainly Rap/Hip-Hop, and some classic rock/80's Blunder like The Who and The Talking Heads, SO I LOVE ASL!!! I HOPE MY RANT & DRIBBLE HELPS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION!!!
Old 10-03-06, 07:06 PM
psp
Pole Position

The next time I'm in a 98 GS300 listening to HipHop or Rap I'll keep that in mind.

ps. ASL does nothing for my Dr. Dre 2001 CD (just jibberish).
Old 10-04-06, 06:26 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by imthedrew
I would have to disagree with both of you. On my 98 GS 300, with the standard premium sound-system, I can tell a dramatic difference when the ASL function is selected. Overall the volume is a much louder, and the bass is most definetly "boomier." I leave the option on at all times, as the level of ambient noise within the car increases (or decreases), the ASL adjusts the levels to cope with or cancel out some of the ambient noise. >>> I really equate this to the Pioneer Stereo Reciever that I owned about 10 years ago, it had a "super bass" or "bass boost" function, that had the same exact effect on the my music. I listen to mainly Rap/Hip-Hop, and some classic rock/80's Blunder like The Who and The Talking Heads, SO I LOVE ASL!!! I HOPE MY RANT & DRIBBLE HELPS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION!!!
Your "Dribble" adds no valve to this discussion when you are comparing a 1998 GS300 to a 2007 ES350. BTW, I find the ASL not effective in our ES350.

Last edited by Ingram4868; 10-04-06 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-04-06, 06:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i found ASL annoying and turned it off, i notice the changes in volumes during high speed and low speed and it bugs me
Old 10-04-06, 09:03 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Let me make this simple. ASL is beyond awful!

As an audiophile who has spent over 25 years in the hobby (obsession?) I can tell you that this circuit degrades the sound in multiple ways, not the least of which is overboosting the bass to ridiculous levels at highway speeds.

Believe me it's simply abysmal. Do yourself a favor and leave it NOT engaged and adjust the volume to your own personal liking.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 10-04-06 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 12:13 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc

As an audiophile who has spent over 25 years in the hobby (obsession?) I can tell you that this circuit degrades the sound in multiple ways, not the least of which is overboosting the bass to ridiculous levels at highway speeds.

Believe my it's simply abysmal. Do yourself a favor and leave it NOT engaged and adjust the volume to your own personal liking.
I wish mine was awful - then I'd know it was working. As it is, my ASL is like coolcow's and I don't notice any difference at all whether it's on or off.
Old 10-04-06, 01:34 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps it is more pronounced with the ML sound system.
Old 10-04-06, 02:53 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Believe me it's simply abysmal. Do yourself a favor and leave it NOT engaged and adjust the volume to your own personal liking.
As an audiophile who has spent over 55 years in the hobby, I kinda agree. It's sort of a loudness control circuit that was used on certain pre-amps for home use. They very rarely worked properly since loudspeaker efficiencies were all over the place. Although it doesn't bother me that much when I have it switched on.
Now please don't get into an argument with me and tell me how deaf I am.
Old 10-04-06, 03:53 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amf1932
As an audiophile who has spent over 55 years in the hobby, I kinda agree. It's sort of a loudness control circuit that was used on certain pre-amps for home use. They very rarely worked properly since loudspeaker efficiencies were all over the place. Although it doesn't bother me that much when I have it switched on.
Now please don't get into an argument with me and tell me how deaf I am.
Another audiophile, huh?

We're a crazy bunch and a lot of the time I'm sure that we're consumers of snake oil, but it is fun (if somewhat expensive).
Old 10-04-06, 04:28 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Another audiophile, huh?

We're a crazy bunch and a lot of the time I'm sure that we're consumers of snake oil, but it is fun (if somewhat expensive).
I know exactly what you mean. Here's a photo of my home system.

Old 10-04-06, 04:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
I know exactly what you mean. Here's a photo of my home system.

Where's the ASL button on that thing??
Old 10-04-06, 04:47 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

The ASL button had to be removed, because when it was engaged it blew out the far wall of the room....too much bass. heehee
Old 10-04-06, 05:04 PM
psp
Pole Position

Those speakers are so avant garde, but that looks like someone's shop.

Quick Reply: Automatic sound levelizer (ASL)