ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Bluetooth setup help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 06:03 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth setup help

When inputting phone numbers into the phone book, there is an option to add a pause (p) and wait (w) symbols. Can anyone tell me what they do? I've played around with them and cannot figure it out and the manual is really cryptic in its description of their use. What I was hoping is that they could be used to send additional numbers and symbols after the phone is answered. For example dial my voice mail number, wait then send my extension, wait and then send my password. I can do this on my cell by using a comma (or multiple commas) as a wait symbol. It doesn't seem to work that way on the ES.

Pete
Old 10-06-06, 06:33 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We entered all our numbers without the pause or wait and it works fine. I remember a few years ago when phone systems were slower you could enter a pause between the digits like between a 1-800 number. And a few years before that we would use a pause when using dialup computer connections to disable call waiting commands. Anyway, there might still be a need for a pause but I don't know what that would be for a wireless system.
Old 10-06-06, 06:53 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ESsearch
When inputting phone numbers into the phone book, there is an option to add a pause (p) and wait (w) symbols. Can anyone tell me what they do? I've played around with them and cannot figure it out and the manual is really cryptic in its description of their use. What I was hoping is that they could be used to send additional numbers and symbols after the phone is answered. For example dial my voice mail number, wait then send my extension, wait and then send my password. I can do this on my cell by using a comma (or multiple commas) as a wait symbol. It doesn't seem to work that way on the ES.

Pete
They are used to hold for pickup and pause inbetween sending the next sequence of numbers... For example I have the following programmed into my phone (the numbers could be any number, I don't want to give out my personal information)

1234567899w#p98765p321654#

The first part of the sequence is a phone number, my phone will first dial the number and then it will change a 'soft key' to say "send." The (w) is basically telling the phone to pause and wait for my input... The # is specific to the system I am logging into and the (p) is just a slight pause to let the system catch up... The next sequence of numbers is my user id followed by another brief pause before sending the password followed by the # to activate my request.

I have a Nokia 6230 and it is paired with both my car and PC, I leave Bluetooth on continuously and have never needed to do anything more than pair the devices... It may be possible if some are having issues, they need to look at 'Auto Connect' options and/or 'Phone Visibility' because auto-connect may be on but if the other device cannot see it, it will never know it is there.
Old 10-06-06, 01:39 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

onsknht, Thanks for the reply. What you describe is what I would expect and what I need to do to access my voice mail. The wait command (w) seems to hold the system until I hit the Send button to input another string of numbers or symbols. That works fine, but I can do the same thing with a "Speed Tone". I was hoping to use the pause (p) to enter the entire string hands free. for example: 123-456-7890p1234#p67890#. The "p" does not seem to do anything though. For me, the call just stops at that point. Maybe that is a specific issue with Verizon and or my Treo 700p.

Pete
Old 10-06-06, 02:05 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ESsearch
onsknht, Thanks for the reply. What you describe is what I would expect and what I need to do to access my voice mail. The wait command (w) seems to hold the system until I hit the Send button to input another string of numbers or symbols. That works fine, but I can do the same thing with a "Speed Tone". I was hoping to use the pause (p) to enter the entire string hands free. for example: 123-456-7890p1234#p67890#. The "p" does not seem to do anything though. For me, the call just stops at that point. Maybe that is a specific issue with Verizon and or my Treo 700p.

Pete
Try putting a double (p) in there and see if that helps? I noticed you have a (p) after a # (which usually indicates done or send) it's possible the system is not ready for the next number sequence? I think more (p)s that are added will increment the pause time.

Additionally, I noticed you have a (p) and not a (w) after the number is dialed, it could be again that the system is not ready to accept your user ID... I found that it took me a couple of tries before I got it right. I have the JBL Bluetooth and know there's a feature to "send" additional values, but I haven't played with it yet... Your goal to be completely handsfree may need to be throttle back a little for this type of call, instead you may have to push the talk button on the wheel again to set off the sequence.

FWIW - the sequence I put up is also to get into my work-voice mail.

Also, if I get more information about setting up the sequence initiation, I'll share my experience.