ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Question about "rain sensing wipers"

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 08:24 AM
rhinnard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about "rain sensing wipers"

I have had my ES350 for a little over a week (Black Sapphire Pearl with Cashmere Interior) and so far am in love. I'm still reading the manuals trying to learn about the systems this car has and I have learned or found something new just about every day.
My question is regarding the "rain sensing wipers" and technically speaking, how do they work? I was told by the dealer that there is a "rain gage" at the bottom of the windshield under the hood, however, when I tested their function when washing the car it seems the second water hits the upper windshield they come on.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-06-06, 09:57 AM
PDG810810
Rookie

Rain gauge at the bottom of the windshield?
I hope this dealer was kidding!
There is a optical sensor to the right of the rear view mirror (from an driver perspective) that triggers the windshied wipers as it detects rain drops or water. It works reasonably well, although it adds significant cost if ever the windshield needs to be replaced..
Old 10-06-06, 10:09 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PDG810810
Rain gauge at the bottom of the windshield?
I hope this dealer was kidding!
There is a optical sensor to the right of the rear view mirror (from an driver perspective) that triggers the windshied wipers as it detects rain drops or water. It works reasonably well, although it adds significant cost if ever the windshield needs to be replaced..
I thought it was at upper windshield area too.

BTW PDG...did you get your transmission slipping resolved, that is the continued slipping after the TSIB was done, or, are you still being told it is learning?
Old 10-06-06, 12:26 PM
rhinnard
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys,
I can see the small box next to the mirror and that would also make sense as I sprayed water on the top of the car and windshield the wipers started.

This guy also told me how the door locks work and was wrong. He said to open the door you press the small black button which turns out is how you lock the door. For the first couple of days when opening the door there was a constant tone coming from the inside. The car was telling me to close to door because you just told me you wanted to lock it.

I guess you should never trust what a salesman tells you but should check for yourself.

Bob
Old 10-06-06, 01:04 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rhinnard
Thanks guys,
I can see the small box next to the mirror and that would also make sense as I sprayed water on the top of the car and windshield the wipers started.

This guy also told me how the door locks work and was wrong. He said to open the door you press the small black button which turns out is how you lock the door. For the first couple of days when opening the door there was a constant tone coming from the inside. The car was telling me to close to door because you just told me you wanted to lock it.

I guess you should never trust what a salesman tells you but should check for yourself.

Bob
There is both a lock and unlock button on your key fob, with the lock being above the unlock button. If you look closely there is an image of a closed lock and an image of an open open lock on your key fob. The closed lock locks the car as you have found out and the open lock unlocks it. If you hit the unlock button twice it unlocks all doors, once, just the driver's side door. And it's either push it three times or it is hold it down steady and it unlocks all doors and rolls down windows to cool off your car.

Also you can unlock the trunk using key fob by pressing trunk button.

The other red button, I'm guessing is the alarm or panic button???? Haven't tried that one yet and don't think I will anytime soon.
Old 10-06-06, 04:03 PM
sarge43
Driver

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
There is both a lock and unlock button on your key fob, with the lock being above the unlock button. If you look closely there is an image of a closed lock and an image of an open open lock on your key fob. The closed lock locks the car as you have found out and the open lock unlocks it. If you hit the unlock button twice it unlocks all doors, once, just the driver's side door. And it's either push it three times or it is hold it down steady and it unlocks all doors and rolls down windows to cool off your car.

The other red button, I'm guessing is the alarm or panic button???? Haven't tried that one yet and don't think I will anytime soon.
I believe rhinnard was talking about the black button on the outside door handles and not the buttons on the key fob.
Old 10-06-06, 04:05 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob

I could be wrong, but I think he was referring to how it is possible to unlock the door w/o having to press the unlock button on the keyfob...and the fact that the guy at the dealer apparently had it backwards (press button on door handle to lock, grab door handle (i.e., wrap your hand/fingers around the door handle as if you were going to pull it) to unlock...assuming of course you have your keyfob within very close proximity of your vehicle (e.g., in your pocket or purse is close enough).
Old 10-06-06, 04:14 PM
sarge43
Driver

Originally Posted by toneman
I could be wrong, but I think he was referring to how it is possible to unlock the door w/o having to press the unlock button on the keyfob...and the fact that the guy at the dealer apparently had it backwards (press button on door handle to lock, grab door handle (i.e., wrap your hand/fingers around the door handle as if you were going to pull it) to unlock...assuming of course you have your keyfob within very close proximity of your vehicle (e.g., in your pocket or purse is close enough).
Either way, clearly an uninformed salesman. Such a pity....
Old 10-06-06, 04:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sarge43
Either way, clearly an uninformed salesman. Such a pity....
Very un-Lexus like. All of the sales people that I've dealt with really knew their product. One rep told me that they get extensive training on each new model, and new reps get a full training progam on all models. This guy must have been dozing in class.
Old 10-12-06, 04:51 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

i wonder what would happen if the wipers come on when the car is going thru a carwash? I never checked the setting the 1st coupla times, but i assume it was off, or turned off upon discovery. Im always paranoid that the windows/sunroof would be partially open as i get my car washed. Speaking of which, i'll get a wash next week, after i fix my scratch tonight.