ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How about a list of your favorite and most useful voice commands?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 09:52 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about a list of your favorite and most useful voice commands?

In all of the excitement during delivery, I failed to realize that the nav manuals were missing from the cars. I am still waiting for them to arrive (being ordered and sent from the dealership) so I don't know what the voice commands are for the car. I did figure out the temp command.

XX degrees will set the climate control to XX degrees.

Any other useful ones?
Old 10-10-06, 10:01 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Search is your friend on this forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=voice
Old 10-10-06, 11:58 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you!
Old 10-11-06, 06:32 AM
currie0522
Driver School Candidate

"I'm hungry" will display restaurant icons.
"Walgreens" will display pharmacy icons.
Old 10-11-06, 07:17 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

My favorite verbal command is..............

That's right, complete silence. The verbal command system is primitive and tedious. It doesn't recognize at least 50% of what you're trying to say to it (particularly in the area of climate control) and there's nothing in the car that isn't more easily adjusted manually with a button or ****.

A complete waste of engineering and yet another "gee whiz" feature that belongs in a pimped out Escalade driven by some piece of trailer trash.

You can put keyless start in the same category.

There, now I feel better!

Old 10-11-06, 08:47 AM
Celibon
Driver

I personally find the "Dial by Name" command useful. It brings up the menu where you can either press a name on the screen to dial (faster), or you can keep using voice commands to call the person if you have previously stored a recording for that name.

I think it's one of the (very) few voice commands that is actually faster than pressing the buttons yourself.
Old 10-11-06, 09:08 AM
dp5
Driver

"Dial by Name" is useful. It lets you dial the phone while driving. Yes, it is faster to use the Nav screen but this screened is unusable while driving.

I also like the restaurant choices (i.e. Thai food, Italian food, Coffee Houses, etc.). Unlike Psychdoc, I find that the verbal command system is extremely reliable and I can find specific types of restaurants using these commands much faster than punching through a series of screens. These commands can also be used while the car is driving when the POI screens are locked out.
Old 10-11-06, 11:42 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, I find the temp command to be quite useful. The GS does not have a separate temp display like the ES, you actually have to see the temp on the nav screen in climate mode. If you change temp with the up down arrows, it will actually move 1 degree while displaying the temp on the pull down screen for a few seconds. I guess to make a long story short, it's easier for me to say the exact temp I want instead of trying to display current temp and hitting the buttons.
Old 10-11-06, 12:00 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
My favorite verbal command is..............

That's right, complete silence. The verbal command system is primitive and tedious. It doesn't recognize at least 50% of what you're trying to say to it (particularly in the area of climate control) and there's nothing in the car that isn't more easily adjusted manually with a button or ****.

A complete waste of engineering and yet another "gee whiz" feature that belongs in a pimped out Escalade driven by some piece of trailer trash.

You can put keyless start in the same category.

There, now I feel better!

I agree, I don't use the voice command. 50% of the time, it does not understand me.

As to the phone, try dailing the number on your cell phone. The car picks up the number if I dial it from the phone's keypad. A lot easier than fighting with the voice system trying to get the number correct.
Old 10-11-06, 12:18 PM
sarge43
Driver

I've had quite good success with the voice recognition. A month or so back I went through all of the voice commands after reading about the problems with the climate control commands on some NAVI units. They all worked just fine.

I have had some instances where the system did not recognize my command or it executed another command than the one I was saying. This I found was a result of not using the specific commands as printed on the command listing (i.e. delete icons vs. hide icons or reversing some words in the command). Keeping a printout of the command listing handy goes a long way in this regard, especially for the seldom used commands.
Old 10-11-06, 02:05 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Celibon
I personally find the "Dial by Name" command useful. It brings up the menu where you can either press a name on the screen to dial (faster), or you can keep using voice commands to call the person if you have previously stored a recording for that name.

I think it's one of the (very) few voice commands that is actually faster than pressing the buttons yourself.
What I can't quite understand is why Lexus engineered the "Dial By Name" feature such that it works only if you have previously recorded a voice tag into the Lexus system; I mean, I understand that not all cell phones have voice-dial capability--hence the voice-tag requirement on the Lexus system if you want to use the Dial By Name voice feature...but at the same time, it should also allow you to bypass the name tag pre-record requirement if you have a phone that has voice-dial capability built-in (e.g., RAZR). Heck, my V3i has speech-recognition name dial (i.e., no need to record name tags into the phone)...but it's worthless as a feature when it comes to using the voice dial function on the ES 350.
Old 10-11-06, 02:14 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Safety concerns/issues notwithstanding, maybe Lexus could have added a few more voice commands like:

--Turn on/off headlights/foglights (correct headlight switch would be needed in order to retain ability to manually turn on/off headlight w/o creating confusion as to whether the headlights are really on or not)
--Turn off engine (gear has to be in Park w/ parking brake engaged beforehand--that way, no passenger would not be able to do something stupid by issuing an engine off command while vehicle is in motion)
--Turn on/off audio (i.e., turn off entire audio system)

Yes these may be a bit too trivial to be included, but what the heck...it wouldn't hurt to have them either!
Old 10-11-06, 10:33 PM
Celibon
Driver

Originally Posted by toneman
What I can't quite understand is why Lexus engineered the "Dial By Name" feature such that it works only if you have previously recorded a voice tag into the Lexus system; I mean, I understand that not all cell phones have voice-dial capability--hence the voice-tag requirement on the Lexus system if you want to use the Dial By Name voice feature...but at the same time, it should also allow you to bypass the name tag pre-record requirement if you have a phone that has voice-dial capability built-in (e.g., RAZR). Heck, my V3i has speech-recognition name dial (i.e., no need to record name tags into the phone)...but it's worthless as a feature when it comes to using the voice dial function on the ES 350.
Actually, the "Dial by Name" voice command brings up the speed dial menu. From there I just press on a button to place a call. This is faster than actually going through the whole dialing sequence using voice command, which takes considerably longer because you can't skip the windy voice prompts.
Old 10-12-06, 02:38 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toneman
FWIW, my 745Li requires pre-recorded voice tags as well.
Old 10-12-06, 03:34 AM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Voice recognition is a useless feature. My Honda had that and after the first week with the car I forgot it was even there. In my opinion the Lexus Nav sucks, Honda has Lexus beat by a mile there.

Quick Reply: How about a list of your favorite and most useful voice commands?