ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus Premium Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06, 11:07 AM
glock22x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Premium Audio System

Just wondering, how does the normal audio system sound (not Mark Levinson)? And does anyone know which manufacturer makes it now? I think Nakamichi made the Lexus Premium Audio upto year 2000.
Old 10-16-06, 12:22 AM
MR.FG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine sounds pretty good, not sure who makes it though.
Old 10-16-06, 01:16 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes but now the premium audio is the ML system.

If Lexus calls the standard system the 'premium' system, it's usually one of the following if Toyota follows its nomenclature

1) it has more speakers
2) it has a CD Changer
3 it has a CD/CD Changer and cassette deck

If you look at the past, that's how Toyota used to name their premium audio. The 'true' premium audios would have brand names attached to it such as Nakamichi, JBL or ML.
Old 10-16-06, 01:24 PM
glock22x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Yes but now the premium audio is the ML system.

If Lexus calls the standard system the 'premium' system, it's usually one of the following if Toyota follows its nomenclature

1) it has more speakers
2) it has a CD Changer
3 it has a CD/CD Changer and cassette deck

If you look at the past, that's how Toyota used to name their premium audio. The 'true' premium audios would have brand names attached to it such as Nakamichi, JBL or ML.
Ah thanks for the info. I still do not know who makes their 'standard' audio systems. Haven't been able to find any info on it online. I just hope it sounds better or equivalent to my Bose system in my Pathfinder.
Old 10-18-06, 05:53 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Originally Posted by glock22x
Ah thanks for the info. I still do not know who makes their 'standard' audio systems. Haven't been able to find any info on it online. I just hope it sounds better or equivalent to my Bose system in my Pathfinder.
Since I just added a IPOD int kit to my 06' ES330.. and I have a Lexus Premium Sound Sys.. I believe I saw Pioneer at the back of the HU, but remember this is for a 06 ES330... it could be the same brand for ES350 but not very sure.
Old 10-18-06, 08:54 AM
glock22x
Driver School Candidate

Hello sk72,
Thanks for you information about your ES330 audio system. How are you liking the Pioneer system? For me, I usually listen to vocals and the occassional upbeat bass thumping music (depending on my mood ). The thing that I find with standard car audio systems is they have weak bass. I hope the Pioneer system in Lexus ES have decent bass response!
Old 10-18-06, 09:56 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by glock22x
Hello sk72,
Thanks for you information about your ES330 audio system. How are you liking the Pioneer system? For me, I usually listen to vocals and the occassional upbeat bass thumping music (depending on my mood ). The thing that I find with standard car audio systems is they have weak bass. I hope the Pioneer system in Lexus ES have decent bass response!
The Lexus standard audio is fairly, well, standard. The bass is weak. But overall the system is sufficient for my purposes. A real audio buff would find it woefully inadequate, though.
Old 10-18-06, 05:50 PM
Mako1
Driver School Candidate

I have the basic system that comes with the Nav, no ML. The sound is ok but not great. The bass is lacking and I am thinking of adding an amp and a sub, mid's and highs are ok. I am not a bass person who wants the car to vibrate the seats but I would like it to be in proportion to the music. I listen to Springsteen, Eagles, Aerosmith etc. My previous car had a Bose system which was far superior, place the upgrade on the one of these day's list, just need to get a bit aggravated.
Old 10-19-06, 06:41 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mako1
I have the basic system that comes with the Nav, no ML. The sound is ok but not great. The bass is lacking and I am thinking of adding an amp and a sub, mid's and highs are ok. I am not a bass person who wants the car to vibrate the seats but I would like it to be in proportion to the music. I listen to Springsteen, Eagles, Aerosmith etc. My previous car had a Bose system which was far superior, place the upgrade on the one of these day's list, just need to get a bit aggravated.
I'd carpool with you anytime
Old 10-19-06, 12:27 PM
Gloval
Driver School Candidate

Does the Premium Audio System have a sub in the back? I have this with the Nav, and with certain types of bass it sounds like the sub is hitting against something solid (sort of like two wooden boards hitting each other). It comes and goes depending on the type of bass, and I'm wondering if this is a defect or just the way the system sounds.
Old 10-20-06, 09:50 AM
PDG810810
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gloval
Does the Premium Audio System have a sub in the back? I have this with the Nav, and with certain types of bass it sounds like the sub is hitting against something solid (sort of like two wooden boards hitting each other). It comes and goes depending on the type of bass, and I'm wondering if this is a defect or just the way the system sounds.
Gloval, I have reported that the ML sub bottoms out easily in several threads on this forum. I beleive this is a defect and should be corrected. There are several things one can do to minimize the occurance. Disable ASL (particularly if you turn up the volume on your favourite tracks) or disable surround sound. Although this is an annoying event when it occurs, usually it is only present with music that is very bass heavy.
Old 10-20-06, 04:41 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

i notice the ML is only superior to the standard audio system when the volume is 28+. Seem like the extra speakers activate only at higher volumes, and the clarity is more obvious then. For a while I was wondering if my ML is just a rebadged standard audio because the extra cost didnt really make substantial difference. But then I turned the volume up and WOW!!!
Old 10-20-06, 04:50 PM
e-Mel
Rookie

Channel separation is night and day difference between the ML and Lexus premium.
Old 10-20-06, 08:07 PM
glock22x
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up my ES350 tonight, and I'm not very happy with the standard audio system...it has a sub in the back, but it sounds like there's no subwoofer at all. Maybe I need to pump it up a lot?
Old 10-21-06, 05:23 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give it some time glock. I've seen several posts about the sound improving as the speakers get broken in and I've experienced the same.....thankfully. I have to say I am disappointed in the fact the sound out of this system is really no better than the one in my ES300. I incorrectly assumed this wonderfully engineered car would have an equally wonderful standard sound system.

Question for you....do you find that the volume output drops by about 5 clicks when you go from FM to CD? I have to jack up the volume from like 25 to 30 (or more depending on the CD quality) just to keep the volume where I like it.

Quick Reply: Lexus Premium Audio System