Just Detailed My Baby - OMG!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 03:24 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
...I even waxed inside the door wells.
And I thought I was bad at washing/cleaning stuff that most people wouldn't bother with; the most I'd be **** with when it comes to washing my ride would be cleaning the wheel wells--FWIW the wheel wells on my Denali still look almost just as black--and definitely as clean--as they did when I first bought her...and I intend to do the same w/ my ES.

Did you wax the underside of the hood (at least that part of the hood that's not covered by the heat shield) as well?
Old 10-17-06, 04:14 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toneman
Did you wax the underside of the hood (at least that part of the hood that's not covered by the heat shield) as well?
Yup! I waxed under the trunk hood and the drainage rails that tend to get real dirty. The front hood has a rough paint finish underneath so I only wiped it off. Does your front hood have a smooth painted finish or rough?

And I cleaned off all the schmoogle on these new plastic engine covers. That's a new requirement.
Old 10-17-06, 07:03 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

OK, hopefully the moderators won't frown on me for doing this, but here is my number one toy. (It' my thread right? ) Talk about high maintenance. I just spent 4 hours detailing this girl and that's just from the rub rail down. Those outdrives are a major PITA to wax. But is it SO worth it!!

For you motor heads she has Merc 496 HO's. GM motors....425hp per side. It's why I love my 26 mpg Lexus!! I get 2 mpg if I'm running conservative....down to 1 if water condition allow and I'm feeling froggy.
Vert nice boat! How old is it?

I was in Newport Beach, Ca the other weekend and I saw a huge Donzi boat. That was an amazing piece of machinery also!

How often do you take her out?
Old 10-17-06, 12:48 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Yup! I waxed under the trunk hood and the drainage rails that tend to get real dirty. The front hood has a rough paint finish underneath so I only wiped it off. Does your front hood have a smooth painted finish or rough?

And I cleaned off all the schmoogle on these new plastic engine covers. That's a new requirement.
LOL!!! The engine covers on mine are still relatively clean...most likely because I haven't driven my ES for extended trips--yet--through conditions that might cause dust and whatnot to collect onto the covers.

I think you have me beat when it comes to OCD on cleaning one's vehicle; do you use chrome polish to buff out the exhaust tips to a nice sparkling shine as well? Brush/wipe off any dirt that may have gotten coated onto the visible portion of the struts and springs?

Not in the same category but...do you still have the plastic protective film still covering the aluminum(?) door sills? Laugh at me all you want, but I still have them in place on mine...LOL!!!

I'll have to check the paint finish on the underside of the hood next chance I get to see if it's smooth or rough...
Old 10-17-06, 02:20 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by toneman
LOL!!! Not in the same category but...do you still have the plastic protective film still covering the aluminum(?) door sills? Laugh at me all you want, but I still have them in place on mine...LOL!!!
You mean the brushed stainless ones that have the Lexus emblem punched into them? (Nice touch Lexus. ) Nope, the dealership removed the protective cover I am afraid.

But I did do my exhaust tips, but only with the wax pad. Too much trouble to polish...I would have to get down on my back to do those buggers.

Last edited by Macklin; 10-17-06 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-17-06, 02:27 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Vert nice boat! How old is it?

I was in Newport Beach, Ca the other weekend and I saw a huge Donzi boat. That was an amazing piece of machinery also!

How often do you take her out?
Thanks! It's an '02. This summer was not good for boating. We sometimes go out Saturday and Sunday, but there were several weekends we couldn't go outside the inlet due to small craft adviseries. And gas went up to almost $4 per gallon at my marina for much of the summer. That will put a hurtin' on your wallet with a 170 gallon tank.

Now it's back down close to $2.