ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Air bags - telescopic steering column

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 12:26 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the I35/Q45 slides the seat back in addition to tilting the wheel. However, they do have a button to disable the function.
Old 10-17-06, 02:55 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just wanted to let you know that I received good news from Lexus head office today.

Both the air bags and the telescopic steering column can be disabled in the ES350.

A liability release waiver would be required for each however, and of course the cost of the work would have to be negotiated.
Old 10-17-06, 08:56 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good stuff
Old 10-17-06, 09:27 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

He gave his reason, in a private message, for wanting the air bag disabled. I have been driving LEXUS vehicles for sixteen years, and have never heard any noise that would be associated with the air bag. Having said that, I can't image LEXUS would agree to provide an owner with a liability release waiver. How would LEXUS protect itself if the owner allows someone else to drive the vehicle, there is an accident, the air bag does not deploy, and there is injury or death? Would/could the owner indemnity LEXUS in such a situation?

Last edited by wdlugitch; 10-17-06 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 11:25 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wdlugitch
He gave his reason, in a private message, for wanting the air bag disabled. I have been driving LEXUS vehicles for sixteen years, and have never heard any noise that would be associated with the air bag. Having said that, I can't image LEXUS would agree to provide an owner with a liability release waiver. How would LEXUS protect itself if the owner allows someone else to drive the vehicle, there is an accident, the air bag does not deploy, and there is injury or death? Would/could the owner indemnity LEXUS in such a situation?
I would imagine the release would be worded in such a way so that Lexus would be released from any and all liabilitiy arising from the disablement of the air bag as long as the vehicle is owned by the owner. On top of that, I would be almost certain that the release would state something to the effect that it would be the owner who would bear sole liability and responsibility to inform anyone who would be driving his vehicle that the air bag is no longer functional...especially if the owner is the one who is allowing someone to drive his vehicle.
Old 10-19-06, 09:22 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

I can't imagine that LEXUS would be able to tailor a release to cover all present and future owners and operators of this vehicle, and why would they just to sell one vehicle.
Old 10-19-06, 10:02 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toneman
I would imagine the release would be worded in such a way so that Lexus would be released from any and all liabilitiy arising from the disablement of the air bag as long as the vehicle is owned by the owner. On top of that, I would be almost certain that the release would state something to the effect that it would be the owner who would bear sole liability and responsibility to inform anyone who would be driving his vehicle that the air bag is no longer functional...especially if the owner is the one who is allowing someone to drive his vehicle.
And I'm pretty sure that Lexus would demand, in addition to any and all waivers, that there be prominently posted warnings inside the car that "this car does not have a fuctional airbag system."

Frankly, I think this guy's insane and he should just go out and buy a 1982 Plymouth.

That way he has his dearly beloved steering wheel that doesn't move and lots of metal (without anything to buffer it) to kill or maim him in the event of a crash.

Why does the movie Dumb and Dumberer come to mind when reading this thread?

Last edited by PsychDoc; 10-19-06 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-19-06, 05:54 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

I can't imagine that LEXUS would be able to tailor a release to cover all present and future owners and operators of this vehicle, and why would they just to sell one vehicle.
This modification is not as uncommon as you might think.
In fact the GOVERNMENT OF CANADA has set up a department to deal specifically with it.

They regulate it and deal with the exact liability issues that you have raised.
You can read all about the program at the following web address:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp/tp13178/menu.htm
Old 10-19-06, 09:14 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

This makes less than no sense to me, but then the Iraq "war" makes less than no sense to me.

I do not think it will happen, but I have asked him to post the document that LEXUS and he will sign. I want to see how it protects itself against other drivers and future owners.

What is next, removal of seat belts and padded dash?
Old 10-20-06, 04:11 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This makes less than no sense to me, but then the Iraq "war" makes less than no sense to me.
Quote of the week right there!