Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 11:54 AM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Air bags - telescopic steering column

Hi Folks,

I'm going to cut right to the chase.
I'd appreciate just a straight answer (not lectures on why I should/shouldn't etc.).

I will likely be buying an ES-350 next week.
It will hinge on whether I can disable the air bag system and the telescopic steering column.

A salesman yesterday told me that Lexus will disable the air bags if I sign a waiver with them. He also said that this info can be found somewhere on their website.

What I'd like to know is if I can disable them on my own or whether it would require a Lexus technician to do this?

Also are there ES-350 models/packages that don't have the telescopic steering column and if not, can I disable that system? That is, manually adjust the position I want and lock it in and not have it move/tilt anymore after that.

Thanks in advance. (Again I'd appreciate just straight answers and not sermons on why I should/shouldn't do this.)

Last edited by NoiseFree; 10-15-06 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-15-06, 01:25 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The steering is electronically adjustable, and can be set into a position that you like. It will always come back to that position together with the mirrors and seat memory, that can be tied to your individual vehicle key. It always retracts when you turn the vehicle off, and then pops out again when you start the vehicle. There is no way - that I know of or that has been mentioned - to disable this. Its one of the luxury selling points of the car and is featured on all models.
Old 10-15-06, 02:04 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wanderer99
The steering is electronically adjustable, and can be set into a position that you like. It will always come back to that position together with the mirrors and seat memory, that can be tied to your individual vehicle key. It always retracts when you turn the vehicle off, and then pops out again when you start the vehicle. .
Yes I am aware of its basic operation.

The salesman I was talking with yesterday I believe mentioned that base models of the IS250 did not have the above feature.

This got me thinking that perhaps it was possible to order an ES350 without this feature.

Or failing that, have Lexus disable the feature and just manually set the steering wheel once and leave it alone.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-06, 02:33 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may not be the same on the ES, but on the GX, the auto retracting/extending feature can be turned off by the dealer.
However you still can adjust the wheel to your liking and it will stay in that same position.
Old 10-15-06, 03:52 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BobsGX
It may not be the same on the ES, but on the GX, the auto retracting/extending feature can be turned off by the dealer.
However you still can adjust the wheel to your liking and it will stay in that same position.
Thanks Bob, that's good to hear. Especially that you can still manually adjust to your liking after disabling auto retract/extend.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the same can be accomplished with the ES .
Old 10-15-06, 08:28 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wdlugitch
Out of curiosity,why would you want to disable the air bag and telescopic steering column?
I was wondering about that myself???
Old 10-15-06, 09:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amf1932
I was wondering about that myself???
I can probably guess about the airbag so I won't question that. People have reasons. What I don't get is the telescopic function. If you don't touch it, it won't move... ever. He could probably add some plaster or such to the switch so that no one can tamper with it.
Old 10-15-06, 09:37 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

AS far as I know, the driver side airbag cannot be disabled by you in ANY airbag equipped car, so it is best to let a tech accomplish that. Can't say I agree with your decision to do so, but respect it. As far as the auto retract wheel I do not have an ES, I have a first gen LS, and I can disable mine with the push of a button on the steering column. It will still move if I manually adjust it, but the auto feature will be off. Really not sure for the ES tho.
Old 10-16-06, 12:33 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by trukn1
AS far as I know, the driver side airbag cannot be disabled by you in ANY airbag equipped car, so it is best to let a tech accomplish that.
OK thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by trukn1
As far as the auto retract wheel I do not have an ES, I have a first gen LS, and I can disable mine with the push of a button on the steering column. It will still move if I manually adjust it, but the auto feature will be off. Really not sure for the ES tho.
This is good to hear. I didn't look closely at the ES-350, so perhaps there is a button on it to disable. If not, I'm hoping a techie can do it. I heard that it can be disabled on the GX's.
Old 10-16-06, 12:40 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I can probably guess about the airbag so I won't question that. People have reasons. What I don't get is the telescopic function. If you don't touch it, it won't move... ever. He could probably add some plaster or such to the switch so that no one can tamper with it.
Hi Nextourer.
I don't think I understand your answer.

I got into the car and _didn't touch_ the telescopic function.
Yet the steering wheel still popped out at me.
And when I turned off the ignition it still retracted, even though I didn't touch any telescopic function.

Perhaps by "it won't move" you meant that after it has popped out it won't lose its memory of previous position? Or did you mean the wheel won't physically move, period?
Old 10-16-06, 12:44 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wdlugitch
Out of curiosity,why would you want to disable the air bag and telescopic steering column?
I'd rather not open this can of worms.
I can guarantee sermons/lectures would start flowing fast and furious if I did.
Old 10-16-06, 01:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Hi Nextourer.
I don't think I understand your answer.

I got into the car and _didn't touch_ the telescopic function.
Yet the steering wheel still popped out at me.
And when I turned off the ignition it still retracted, even though I didn't touch any telescopic function.

Perhaps by "it won't move" you meant that after it has popped out it won't lose its memory of previous position? Or did you mean the wheel won't physically move, period?
ohhhhh I understand what you mean now.

lol. Here I am thinking you don't want anyone to adjust the steering wheel ever again when really you meant you wanted the entry assist function disabled.

All that does is move the wheel from YOUR set position to the lowest position so that you can get out more easily. It'll return to YOUR position when you start but I suppose you have your reasons for not wanting it to move.

In that case, I'm sure it's a feature that the dealer can disable. I'm fairly certain it's not a user-customisable feature.

If you want, you can PM us instead so as to avoid the bashes and lectures. I am curious too.
Old 10-16-06, 01:15 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
What I don't get is the telescopic function. If you don't touch it, it won't move... ever.
But it will move...as soon as you turn off the engine the steering wheel will automatically raise and retract...unless of course the steering wheel was set to its' "exit" position (either manually or via memory setting) prior to turning off the engine, in which case...you'd be correct in that it won't move.

Personally, I can see why NoiseFree would want the auto-steering wheel positioning disabled; one can only imagine that poor steering wheel motor getting a workout from having to adjust to at least one--and possibly two different driver settings (assuming that the memorized steering wheel position is different for each driver) and also having to move to the "exit" position each and every single time the ignition is turned on or off.
Old 10-16-06, 04:03 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toneman
Personally, I can see why NoiseFree would want the auto-steering wheel positioning disabled; one can only imagine that poor steering wheel motor getting a workout from having to adjust to at least one--and possibly two different driver settings (assuming that the memorized steering wheel position is different for each driver) and also having to move to the "exit" position each and every single time the ignition is turned on or off.
Tony's guessed one of my reasons for not wanting the steering column 'feature'.
Old 10-17-06, 11:51 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Tony's guessed one of my reasons for not wanting the steering column 'feature'.
Can you only imagine how it would be if the power driver's seat functioned the same way--e.g., slide all the way back to allow an easier exit, then slide back into memorized position every time you enter the vehicle? FWIW--GM has the "easy exit" seat feature on their upscale SUVs...but at least they allow you to disable it yourself.

Quick Reply: Air bags - telescopic steering column