ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Accident with 07 es350

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-06, 10:02 AM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OAKPLANK
I don't know if this makes any differences or not; The gas pedal on the Lexus ES350 is not a physical direct link to the throttle. I read somewhere that when you press on the pedal, there's an electronic sensor that sends a message to the throttle so it knows how much gas to send to the injectors.

Can this sensor be acting weird.

oakplank
This is exactly what I was thinking. A car with soo much electronics, something could fail. Maybe it floored the gas pedal for her and she panicked.
Old 10-21-06, 10:03 AM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks bob and others for your input, I'll keep you guy's posted.
Old 10-22-06, 01:13 PM
Gumball
Driver School Candidate

What about a purely mechanical explanation to sudden acceleration. Have any of you ever had the thick floor mat overlap onto the accelerator? If you dig your heel into the floor, guess what happens - the car accelerates with no foot pressure on the pedal. Its happened to me. The power seat adjuster can push the mat forward if not properly installed and it slides up the pedal, stomp your foot down keeping time with your ML beat and your going like a bat of hell.
Old 10-23-06, 03:11 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nextourer
That makes no sense. It says the car accelerates uncontrollably, yet in N, they can't stop the car either?? So it's a malfunction of BOTH the accelerator and brake pedal???

Also, the vehicle stopped once in P.... so.. he busted his transmission by shifting directly to park while in motion?
I could be wrong but couldn't it be possible that there's some sort of failsafe mechanism to prevent exactly what you're suggesting--emergency safety notwithstanding? I offer that because one time (and to be fair, I can't remember exactly which car I was in at the time, nor why I did what I'm about to explain--call me stupid, I guess) I inadvertantly put the shifter into Reverse while my car was moving forward w/ gear in D; lo and behold, for the approximately one second that the indicator was in R, the car did not slow down, jerk, or show any audible/physical indication that the tranny was trying to go into reverse gear. Perhaps in the old days it would have been possible to do what you described, but maybe in these days with modern transmissions--many of which are electronically-controlled--it might be a bit more difficult to go from D to P while at typical cruising speeds.
Old 10-23-06, 03:14 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gumball
...stomp your foot down keeping time with your ML beat and your going like a bat of hell.
Actually--if you were doing exactly what you described, in tempo with the beat...wouldn't your car be lurching instead?
Old 10-23-06, 04:07 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

check this out peeps..........
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=1#post2198641
Old 10-23-06, 06:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by toneman
I could be wrong but couldn't it be possible that there's some sort of failsafe mechanism to prevent exactly what you're suggesting--emergency safety notwithstanding? I offer that because one time (and to be fair, I can't remember exactly which car I was in at the time, nor why I did what I'm about to explain--call me stupid, I guess) I inadvertantly put the shifter into Reverse while my car was moving forward w/ gear in D; lo and behold, for the approximately one second that the indicator was in R, the car did not slow down, jerk, or show any audible/physical indication that the tranny was trying to go into reverse gear. Perhaps in the old days it would have been possible to do what you described, but maybe in these days with modern transmissions--many of which are electronically-controlled--it might be a bit more difficult to go from D to P while at typical cruising speeds.
except that car will always go to Neutral and there is no way that in Neutral it will still keep on going.

Additionally, even if gas pedal is stuck, with brakes being applied, your car WILL slow down. Brake power is much stronger than engine power.

This kind of stuff is actually not that hard to investigate if you call up investigator to check vehicle and skid marks on the road, they will be able to find out what happened.

As someone else said, it is usually someone pressing gas instead of brakes, and then blaming someone else.

It is most common type of complaint at NTHSA and you can find many complaints for many Toyota's as well, although I never saw any recalls issued later on (which means error was not found).
Old 10-24-06, 04:04 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

I'm still waiting for more info from my friend, I'll post more asap. Thanx for everyone's input.
Old 10-24-06, 04:17 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

spwolf--actually, my comments were more in response to Nextourer's comment about what would happen to the tranny if one were to shift from D to P while the vehicle was moving at a fairly-fast speed...
Old 11-02-06, 05:04 PM
GaryGenest
Driver School Candidate

Default Breaking causes down shift upping RPMs

When you break, and consequently slow down, the transmission will down shift, which will cause the engine RPMs to go up. That's my thinking on this.
Old 11-02-06, 05:47 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GaryGenest
When you break, and consequently slow down, the transmission will down shift, which will cause the engine RPMs to go up. That's my thinking on this.
Nice thought, but do you see RPM go up when you normally brake... RPMs in a downshift pattern are proportionate to wheelspeed, which is getting slower as brakes are applied... The floormat stuck the accelerator.