ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Very Unhappy

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 04:22 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more "disclaimer" I forgot to add--I should have offered that high "volume level" (i.e., the dB number) and "loud" do not necessarily mean the same thing; what I mean is that--for example, a 70 dB music track may not sound annoying at all, but a 70 db screetch may very well sound annoying. Same thing with wind noise, at least for those of us who can hear it at speed--what may be an acceptable volume level of wind noise for some folks may not be acceptable at all to others. If you're the type of person who feels that even a teeny-weeny bit of audible wind noise is unacceptable, then nothing short of the equivalent of earplugs will eliminate that issue. I say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek because while I was out with the service tech the other day, he offered me an anecdote about a customer who was complaining about a very faint noise coming from the front passenger console area. The tech could barely--and I mean, barely--hear it...and even then, only if he put his ear practically next to the console...yet the customer could hear it from his position in the driver's seat. Turns out that the noise the customer was hearing was the A/C refrigerant flowing through the pipes and condensor--that's how sharp this person's hearing apparently was! Heck--the tech said that the noise was barely audible to him, to the point that even if he could hear it without needing to put his ear next to it, the only way that would even be possible is if the entire cabin was dead silent--that's how faint the sound was.
Old 10-25-06, 04:48 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toneman
. Same thing with wind noise, at least for those of us who can hear it at speed--what may be an acceptable volume level of wind noise for some folks may not be acceptable at all to others. If you're the type of person who feels that even a teeny-weeny bit of audible wind noise is unacceptable, then nothing short of the equivalent of earplugs will eliminate that issue.
Tony,

I can tell you that I am one of those who ignored and discounted rattles/squeeks and thought those complaining about them to the degree i read on here were being very demanding, UNTIL, I read NGG's Structural Integrity post and Riley's comments on here too.

I decided to look into one of my rattles in the back area after NGG floored me saying my description of my rattle is like his was and he was missing welds. I nearly fell over because I ignored and discounted that rattle and NGG had not described his rattle, just the general area of it's location.

Turns out it is something where either a weld is missing or a bolt is missing in back glass where it meets backward slope of roof. Now I'm not going to freak out about it, but that taught me a lesson on what things one views as annoying and complains about in contrast to things I thought were non-issues and not worth a significant mention to dealer until maybe the 5k serivice, boy was I wrong. I don't think I'm going to get anymore alarmed about this car than I am already even if it proves out to be a missing unibody weld as in Riley's and NGG's case and others on here.

For all we know this person who can hear what the tech thinks is refrigerant may be something else entirely or they are very low on or overcharged on refrigerant...LOL
Old 10-25-06, 04:57 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

This is a real downer day for me also. I just wrote a little note to my self about my ES350 today. I guess everything just hit at one time today. Then I sign on here and there you are saying the same thing. So why not really let her go. So here's my note to my self.

ES350 10/25/06: this morning I wanted to find out if I pushed the Transmission a little harder what would happen between 3rd & 4th. The slip went to 550 rpm so it's getting worst. I guess I have the "flair", that pissed me off, you buy a Lexus and it's crap. Then at work I found out what triple stench is, my seats look to be maybe double stench "cheaper construction". Everything inside the car is cheaper than any other Lexus, seats, carpet, lack of wood, instrumentation, interior lighting, cheap cheap cheap. This is pissing me off, you pay 47K and it's basically a nice Camry XLE. I think Lexus this year made it a point to down grade the 07 ES back to what it was at conception, a cheap Lexus - entry level "ES" Economy Sedan 350. Probably the 06 ES was to much interior luxury and hurt the LS sales. Probably most of the budget was spent on exterior image and techno stuff to draw sales. In any case the interior really sucks - cheap.

Oh yes the wife's IS350 is in the shop for a faulty ML amplifier also, she's mad as HE.. So there are the two cars we just bought.

Last edited by osokuko; 10-25-06 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 06:19 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

osokuko - what is your build date on your ES350? How many kms on the car?

I actually still like the interior. Its very unique in that no other manufacturer has interiors looking like this. The seats are nice, the heating\cooling works well for me, I like the auto dimming mirrors, memory settings, etc. Sometimes I think it has been cheapened somewhat, but then I compare it to other cars that cost the same or $10K more. I honestly can't find a car at even $10K more that has as nice an interior as the ES350.

And the Camry interior is well..... cheap. I really don't like that new interior at all. And the whole "Welcome to Camry" thing on the stereo display really sucks when you start that car.
Old 10-25-06, 08:21 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Hi and thanks, my roll call is #150. My build date is July, and have 1782 miles on the car today. I noticed about 3 week ago on my way to work for the first time what I call a "blip" in RPM took place between 3rd & 4th gear. This was the first gear cycle 1-6 and at 3 to 4 a 150 RPM rise then back to normal. It only happen once. The next morning again a rise between 3 & 4 same 150 RPM. These 150 RPM are at low load on the tranny just slow driving. Same thing every morning. So this morning I wanted to see what would happen if I pushed it a little more by going faster on the first gear cycle 1-6 (more load on the tranny), this time a blip of 550 RPM. It alway feels like it's waiting then into 4th. So I think when 3rd gear is getting ready for the first shift to 4th there is a computer process under way that takes time "it's always the same time duration of about 1 sec." before 4th gear is fully engaged. Seems it makes no different what the load is on the trans (low load = 150 rpm heavy load = 600 rpm) it's a matter of wait time for something that has maybe disengaged the clutch basket a little - "slip" while the engine continues to revs up during the wait time. And it only happens once on the first shift cycle. After that everything is normal. I thought maybe the factory had install the trans mod by July, maybe they did and this is a mild form of the "flaring" hope so. Anyway I'll have to see how it goes, if it develops into a full on spike then it goes to the dealer for documenting.

I did the same looked at the other makers including MB. Something about 07 that got changed. I have never bought a car before that can cause you to have mood swings. Some day you feel like a ES some days you don't.

Last edited by osokuko; 10-25-06 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 08:56 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here guys is the answer to your wind noise problem.

Old 10-25-06, 09:49 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Alan, you crack me up. Is that the Mark Levinson edition earset, or just the regular PP one?
Old 10-25-06, 09:57 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

osokuko - My trans was great and didn't start having issues until 2000kms, so that's around where you are now. I really hate to tell you this, but from what you're describing you've probably got the flare issue. I'm basing this on 1) cold start issue, 2) trans flare and 3) 3rd>4th gear change. All are telltale signs of the problem surfacing. There are no other problems that currently have these symptoms.
Old 10-25-06, 09:59 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Alan, you crack me up. Is that the Mark Levinson edition earset, or just the regular PP one?
I figured that a little humor(humour....for you Canadian guys) was in order, since after reading 3 pages of negative posts it was getting me depressed.

P.S. Those earplugs were part of the ML option package directly from the Lexus Corporation. LOL

Last edited by amf1932; 10-25-06 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-26-06, 03:45 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Alan,

You are on to something with those ear plugs. Maybe place them in the aftermarket parts.

They will work for diesel engine noise and wind noise.

Can you sell them in colors to match paint finish or to match interior?
Old 10-26-06, 06:43 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by amf1932
Here guys is the answer to your wind noise problem.

I was thinking they should have the Lexus "L" logo on the end of each plug but that's probably not such a good idea. Some people might try to stick both of them in their left ear!
Old 10-26-06, 08:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
I was thinking they should have the Lexus "L" logo on the end of each plug but that's probably not such a good idea. Some people might try to stick both of them in their left ear!
If people put TWO of them in their left ear, that might solve the drivers side wind noise problem once and for all..
Old 10-26-06, 08:56 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wanderer99
osokuko - My trans was great and didn't start having issues until 2000kms, so that's around where you are now. I really hate to tell you this, but from what you're describing you've probably got the flare issue. I'm basing this on 1) cold start issue, 2) trans flare and 3) 3rd>4th gear change. All are telltale signs of the problem surfacing. There are no other problems that currently have these symptoms.
I will second that! Instead of going to your dealer for "documenting", go there to get your tranny fixed!!!

@ Alan, there are 3 pages of negative post. But, up until my car was diagnosted with this problem, I thought it was not a big deal, car is still breaking in, or possibly my driving causing it. I'm glad I read all this info and learned about this being a real issue, which hopefully will get resolved...

Last edited by twister; 10-26-06 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-26-06, 09:59 AM
coolcow
Driver School Candidate

Reporting my story on trans and wind noise...

My build date is July and I have about 2000 miles on the car. Ever since the first few weeks, I've noticed gear shifting is pretty rough when the car is cold. My morning commute starts with 1 miles hill road. I can obviously feel every shift change (and a little jerk) before the car warms up. After that, the shifting becomes much smoother. I took the car to the dealership twice and they could not do anything about it... Yes, it is learning...

The technician also confirmed the wind noise but couldn't do anything either. Anyway, this is fairly minor compared with the trans issues. I don't know what I do now...
Old 10-26-06, 11:26 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolcow
Reporting my story on trans and wind noise...

My build date is July and I have about 2000 miles on the car. Ever since the first few weeks, I've noticed gear shifting is pretty rough when the car is cold. My morning commute starts with 1 miles hill road. I can obviously feel every shift change (and a little jerk) before the car warms up. After that, the shifting becomes much smoother. I took the car to the dealership twice and they could not do anything about it... Yes, it is learning...

The technician also confirmed the wind noise but couldn't do anything either. Anyway, this is fairly minor compared with the trans issues. I don't know what I do now...
cool...,

I suggest you wait and soon enough the transmission will act up with more frequency and they will have to address it. I just love it when people are told the thing is learning as i was and others on here, slow learners for sure as you have 2,000 miles and while I don't yet have that many, mine is a slow learner for sure.

The wind noise I believe those of us with it are stuck with it.

Did you try opening the windows and pulling the window gaskets down from their channels and letting the windows go up and let the glass top edge of windows push them back into their channels? It will minimize the worst of it but it will still be present. It's a pain to do it but it will bring it down somewhat. Practice how to slowly let the windows up before trying or you might pinch your fingers or hands trying to be sure the gasket gets started right on glass.

Quick Reply: Very Unhappy