ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Very Unhappy

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 08:29 PM
brio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Unhappy

Today I realized that I'm very unhappy with this car and would love to return it. (fat chance) My last Lexus (ES300) was a pleasure to own and drive. This one is very comfortable but I can't get used to the motor and wind noise. The motor is not only too ticky, and the idle too rough, but the motor seems to run very differently in different weather. The wind noise is a real deal-breaker for me. Wind and engine noises belong in budget Korean cars not in a Lexus. In fact, the budget Korean cars are doing a great job with noise reduction. Our other car is a Mercedes. While not being as reliable as one would like, the car drives beautifully and engine makes all the right sounds at the right time. I have bonded with the Mercedes but this Lexus offers nothing to love.
Old 10-25-06, 04:49 AM
tonyguy200
Driver School Candidate

Angry

My ES350 is only 3weeks old . I too am very dissapointed with the wind noise, especially at the drivers head level . I love the rest of the car but at speeds over 50mph the wind noise is really disturbing. The dealer told me they couldn't hear it. Yesterday I was driving against the wind doing 65mph and it was so loud I tried to cover it up with the radio but still heard it. I drove a 1994 camry before this and never heard the wind even at speeds up to 85. I taped up the windows and door seals with shippping tape and tested it. The wind level went down a little but was still there.

I am so sad this beautiful car has this problem and probably will sell it in a year.
Old 10-25-06, 06:22 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Sorry to hear about the dissatisfaction. My mother owned an 03 ES that I drove several times. I will agree that that engine seemed smoother and was certainly more quiet while idling. That being said, IMO the benefit of the power increase in this new engine outweighs the minor issues, such as the "diesel" sound when cold. I did hope that Lexus would be able to rid itself of the jerky transmission that haunted the previous generation, but I can still feel it.

Bottom line is, the new ES certainly looks more aggressive, but it will always be a smooth-riding car that is not a "driver's car" intended for driving enthusiasts, such as us on this board. The fact is that 95% of the ES350 owners will never log on to here or notice the things that we do about the car. The wind noise is a bit aggravating, but when the windows are closed I don't even notice it. I'm still very happy with the purchase, despite its faults.
Old 10-25-06, 06:30 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1

Bottom line is, the new ES certainly looks more aggressive, but it will always be a smooth-riding car that is not a "driver's car" intended for driving enthusiasts, such as us on this board. The fact is that 95% of the ES350 owners will never log on to here or notice the things that we do about the car. The wind noise is a bit aggravating, but when the windows are closed I don't even notice it. I'm still very happy with the purchase, despite its faults.
Paj....

I don't agree, those noticing the wind noise and the engine knocking tapping are not car enthusiasts.

We cannot close the windows to not notice wind noise like you posted about you and your car, we have this wind noise with the windows CLOSED and it is excessive. I certainly would not and likely others would not mention wind noise if we had windows open in order to register such a complaint it would make no sense to mention it, the windows would have been open.

The diesel engine sound is not cold engine start up noise, it is a distinct knocking and tapping and can be heard for MILES, so loud it can be diagnosed as problematic valves from the back seat of the car.

It seems you were lucky and got a car without either of those things and maybe without the slipping transmission as well heard as an RPM spike in the car.
Old 10-25-06, 06:39 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Insomuch as the majority of us do not have any wind noise at any speed I must assume that Lexus can fix the problem that some are experiencing. So if a dealer's tech is not able to correct this for people, how does an individual raise this to the next level within Lexus to get it resolved ?
Old 10-25-06, 06:44 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Brio, Tony, others with wind noise and/or diesel engine knocking tapping.

I went to the IS Second Generation forum and there are complaints there about wind noise and rattles as well, and of course here for our cars.

We are stuck with this wind noise nuisance and we might as well accept that we are as I have been to two Lexus dealers who both stated it was buffeting, no repairs offered or suggested. And a non plussed Lexus field tech over wind noise issues in general.

The diesel engine knocking tapping the same, told it's normal. We are stuck if we have this even if it is defective valves as diagnosed by three seperate professional interested parties as in my case. There will be one excuse after another for these defective valves be it timing chain as excuse, or fuel injector or other absurd claim in order for Lexus to do nothing about it.

I am unhappy about my car and it's defects but even more so at the deplorable approach to the issues by Lexus itself.

Plenty of BS on my ES is the norm for and from them.
Old 10-25-06, 06:49 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ingram4868
Insomuch as the majority of us do not have any wind noise at any speed I must assume that Lexus can fix the problem that some are experiencing. So if a dealer's tech is not able to correct this for people, how does an individual raise this to the next level within Lexus to get it resolved ?
Ingram,

They will do nothing about the wind noise, I raised it all the way to the level of V.P. at Lexus and as well to officials at Toyota in Japan, and nothing, if you have it you are STUCK with it unless you yourself can find a way to get rid of it or accept it and just live with it.
Old 10-25-06, 06:59 AM
tonyguy200
Driver School Candidate

First of all, I am NOT a car enthusiast! I'm just an average car owner who likes owning trouble free cars.
I also notice that the actual thickness of the front and side windows on the 350 are thinner than cars a few years older. I'm just not used to hearing the wind, trucks or other loud vehicles as they pass me, My 94 camry cabin was completely silent all speeds. No wind or passing trucks could be heard.
Like I said, I will have to get used to it or sell it in a year, and more than likely the way I feel about today is I will sell it.
Old 10-25-06, 07:02 AM
tonyguy200
Driver School Candidate

Hi Bob,

I was about to write a letter today. I think if enough letters are written, maybe they will take notice and do something about it! Wishfull thinking on my part?
Old 10-25-06, 07:08 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Paj....

I don't agree, those noticing the wind noise and the engine knocking tapping are not car enthusiasts.

We cannot close the windows to not notice wind noise like you posted about you and your car, we have this wind noise with the windows CLOSED and it is excessive. I certainly would not and likely others would not mention wind noise if we had windows open in order to register such a complaint it would make no sense to mention it, the windows would have been open.

The diesel engine sound is not cold engine start up noise, it is a distinct knocking and tapping and can be heard for MILES, so loud it can be diagnosed as problematic valves from the back seat of the car.

It seems you were lucky and got a car without either of those things and maybe without the slipping transmission as well heard as an RPM spike in the car.
I've been away from the Forum for quite a while, I didn't realize these issues were so major and pronounced. I can only speak on what I've experienced. It's sometimes difficult on this forum to distinguish between real problems and people just being nit-pickers. From the way you described these issues, you have every right to be unhappy. This is unfortunate, but not unheard of for first-year models. Again, sorry to hear about your frustrations.
Old 10-25-06, 07:14 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tonyguy200
Hi Bob,

I was about to write a letter today. I think if enough letters are written, maybe they will take notice and do something about it! Wishfull thinking on my part?
Tony,

Given my experiences it is pointless, but I'm not one to discourage at least an attempt.

Your mention of the passing vehicles, trucks included, had me laughing at myself, as I have stooped so low in my expectations for this new car that I ignore that and focus on the (jetsream) wind noise at speed as the complaint.

But you are so right, every dang passing vehicle you hear in this car, and believe it or not, it used to annoy me but I've compromised so much it seems it's a non starter for me to even think of it or mention it.

I think those at Lexus/Toyota all need an audiologist appointment immediately, get fitted for hearing aids and then go listen to what they are producing and insisting to us as normal sounds for a car, let alone a Lexus...LOL

If I wanted this level of engine noise, wind noise, surrounding traffic noise, I'd have bought a Moped. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
Old 10-25-06, 07:35 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brio
Today I realized that I'm very unhappy with this car and would love to return it. (fat chance) My last Lexus (ES300) was a pleasure to own and drive. This one is very comfortable but I can't get used to the motor and wind noise. The motor is not only too ticky, and the idle too rough, but the motor seems to run very differently in different weather. The wind noise is a real deal-breaker for me. Wind and engine noises belong in budget Korean cars not in a Lexus. In fact, the budget Korean cars are doing a great job with noise reduction. Our other car is a Mercedes. While not being as reliable as one would like, the car drives beautifully and engine makes all the right sounds at the right time. I have bonded with the Mercedes but this Lexus offers nothing to love.
So you're unhappy with the vehicle with the engine noise, vibration and wind noise. Just hope that you don't get the rattles and trans issues. I've got (or had) all these.

Having driven four different ES350 vehicles now I can say that they are all different. Each one has a different characteristic on engine, wind, vibration and trans shifting issues. I've driven many different types of vehicles (most of Hertz prestige collection) multiple, multiple times, so I know how different builds of the same car feel and drive. I've driven 10 different XC70s over long distances, and only 2 of these cars seemed different than the normal 'builds' of that model. In these cases the engine and trans behaved weirdly with more vibration than usual. One car had a tiny wind noise leak on the front driver side.

Of the four ES350's I've driven they're all different. The engine noise was different in each one. Some trans shifted smoothly, others were very clunky. All had the wind noise, some much much worse than others. All were very solid and had no initial rattles though, so thats a good thing.... right?

In no way should there be this much variation in a car build. Maybe from Kia, but I doubt Ford could even achieve this lack of consistency. To experience this though you do have to drive multiple vehicles of the same model.

Wind Noise - join us on the Wind Noise Part 2 discussion thread and descibed what you're hearing and at what speed.
Old 10-25-06, 07:36 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
I've been away from the Forum for quite a while, I didn't realize these issues were so major and pronounced. I can only speak on what I've experienced. It's sometimes difficult on this forum to distinguish between real problems and people just being nit-pickers. From the way you described these issues, you have every right to be unhappy. This is unfortunate, but not unheard of for first-year models. Again, sorry to hear about your frustrations.
Paj...,

No problem, you just didn't know the extent of it or degree of it and I can see where one with a good car would be perplexed others have these issues and maybe initially think there is a pack of nitpickers on here...LOL.

The problem we have is these issues are ignored and deliberately discounted by Lexus, both unusual and also not unusual for a car manufacturer. I'm just angry Lexus has stooped so low they behave like other car manufacturers for even their repeat customers like myself.

This is my third Lexus and I know I am responsible over the last decade plus for many new customers as I bragged on both my prior ES 300 to anyone who would murmur a new car thought in my presence and even some who didn't.

My ES350 is nothing like any other car I have ever driven as to engine noise and problems, wind noise, and trans. problems.
Old 10-25-06, 10:07 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tonyguy200
Yesterday I was driving against the wind doing 65mph and it was so loud I tried to cover it up with the radio but still heard it. I drove a 1994 camry before this and never heard the wind even at speeds up to 85. I taped up the windows and door seals with shippping tape and tested it. The wind level went down a little but was still there.
Taping up is a great test. If it reduces the sound at all, it means that the window is almost certainly leaking some air, or allowing noise to pass through. As you still have the issue, look under your car for the plugs to see if they are there. See Wind Noise - Part 2 thread for info.
Old 10-25-06, 10:36 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Paj...,

No problem, you just didn't know the extent of it or degree of it and I can see where one with a good car would be perplexed others have these issues and maybe initially think there is a pack of nitpickers on here...LOL.

The problem we have is these issues are ignored and deliberately discounted by Lexus, both unusual and also not unusual for a car manufacturer. I'm just angry Lexus has stooped so low they behave like other car manufacturers for even their repeat customers like myself.

This is my third Lexus and I know I am responsible over the last decade plus for many new customers as I bragged on both my prior ES 300 to anyone who would murmur a new car thought in my presence and even some who didn't.

My ES350 is nothing like any other car I have ever driven as to engine noise and problems, wind noise, and trans. problems.
That's very disappointing to hear. It sounds like you have all attempted to escalate it to the best of your abilities. I would just keep nagging them and try to forward this thread to JD Power, since Lexus year after year excessively uses JD's ratings to sell their vehicles. Are you in the Palm Beach area by chance? I'll be down there in two weeks with a Crystal White 350 with no issues in case you'd like to compare.

Quick Reply: Very Unhappy