ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

The underside stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 12:25 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The underside stuff

I notice the underside of the ES350 has a big plastic panel to protect the oil pans and engine supports. This is nice protection from road debris and rough driveway ramps. Yesterday, I did a 3-point turn from a driveway ramp that was way too steep. I heard the under side of the car scrape something. I think it could be the under side of the front bumper scrape against this piece of concrete sticking up. From the look of things, no damage. Just wondering, is it easy to replace front bumper and/or underside plastic panels if they get trashed up?
Old 10-26-06, 06:30 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaius88
I notice the underside of the ES350 has a big plastic panel to protect the oil pans and engine supports. This is nice protection from road debris and rough driveway ramps. Yesterday, I did a 3-point turn from a driveway ramp that was way too steep. I heard the under side of the car scrape something. I think it could be the under side of the front bumper scrape against this piece of concrete sticking up. From the look of things, no damage. Just wondering, is it easy to replace front bumper and/or underside plastic panels if they get trashed up?
Yes, it's easy - I've already done it.

Two weeks into ownership my wife bottomed out the front end on a median while playing with the nav and tore up the bottom of the bumper and the black panel you're talking about.

The dealer had to repair a minor defect in my bumper and while they were at it they repaired and repainted my entire bumper for free. I bought the new black panel which they also installed for free, along with some missing fasteners. Great service from Johnson Lexus!

The underside panel is held in place with the same pop fasteners that are in the engine compartment. Very easy. I think I paid $100 for it.
Old 10-27-06, 09:27 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Yes, it's easy - I've already done it.

Two weeks into ownership my wife bottomed out the front end on a median while playing with the nav and tore up the bottom of the bumper and the black panel you're talking about.

The dealer had to repair a minor defect in my bumper and while they were at it they repaired and repainted my entire bumper for free. I bought the new black panel which they also installed for free, along with some missing fasteners. Great service from Johnson Lexus!

The underside panel is held in place with the same pop fasteners that are in the engine compartment. Very easy. I think I paid $100 for it.
Nice to know it's repairable and doesnt cost an arm and a leg even if the installations were not free. These darn building with steep driveways should be cited. You can see all the scrape marks from people entering. I think because I was going at such a slow speed (3-point-turn), the damage was avoided. The plastics are generally flexible to some extent I believe so speed of impact does make a difference.

Gonna have my 5k service soon. I hope performance does not change when they change the oil. This Glendale dealership has been outstanding, asides from my MSM incident which was mostly my fault but I was mad at them at first. Love the free soda, free coffee, popcorn, internet access and wash.