ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Cooler Weather & Shift Lag

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 06:31 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cooler Weather & Shift Lag

I have noticed other members mention the general shifting of their transmission viewing it as slow and maybe I'm easier to please where that is concerned because I otherwise would not mention that about my car, if it isn't slipping it isn't otherwise something I'd complain about.

The only times my car seems as though delayed in shifting is immediately prior to the RPM spiking, except when cooler weather is present as has been the case for the last several days here, 59 degrees am temp.

Several days ago I drove the car early am, the temp in car display said 59, had the slip and the RPM spike which believe me only happens when it darn well feels like it, no consistancy whatsoever to it in order to assign a predictability scale to it. I had noticed it seemed otherwise to be somewhat slower in shifting in general.

Day before yesterday the same, slight delay but this time no spiking RPM and no transmission slipping, but a noticeable delay in shifting than otherwise when starting out cold.

I'm now wondering if those who mention the slowness of the trans shifting but otherwise have no other complaint have cooler overnight temps than here in Florida or if the delay is accentuated by cooler weather for them as seems the case with my car, or they just might not like the general shifting pattern of the transmission no matter cold started or all day long weather not being a factor.
Old 10-27-06, 08:05 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The delayed shifting is very normal when the engine coolant is below a certain temperature. I noticed this in my 1994 ES, and also in my 2003 ES.
This is controlled by the ECM, and was purposely designed to do exactly what it does. As an example: Notice that your delayed shifting will continue until your temperature gauge starts to move up to the first line on the display. Once this happens, you'll notice that you will no longer have this delay.
Old 10-27-06, 08:12 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW - - I've had the opportunity to startup in 28* temps just last week... If I let the car run as little as 1 minute before driveoff, the spike didn't occur. If I started and then drove off, without letting the car run, the spike would occur.

I find the transmission does shift slower in cold temps as the car attempts to add more rev to the engine to expedite warming. In addition to this the colder it is the slower the shift points (considering speed not rpm), yet the shifts are kind of hard... Once normal operating tempurature is reached the car/trans reacts normally. Finally, I find the transmission has like three modes... F1 slam shift, moderate and then "lazy fat dude working a 5 speed manual." I notice these unique shift patterns occur almost instantly depending on how I'm driving the car... I also notice that to downshift and pass someone, there is just about the same power available at 1/4 throttle as there is if you mash it to the floor. Putting it to the floor appears to delay the downshift where a gradual accelleration to 1/4 throttle makes it occur faster... Go beyond 1/4 throttle right to 1/2 and and car seems to miss the fact you wanted to shed some gear, causing you to put your foot into it deeper and then go WTF why didn't it shift down?

What I recently found more disturbing is the shift between 5 and 6 around 125-130MPH... The car falls flat for second like it hit a rev limiter, I couldn't hold it past 147MPH but it is more than willing to go there.
Old 10-27-06, 08:49 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I notice when I start the car up on cold mornings, it gets a good trust of gas and the RPM shoots up. Feels like I am giving it gas as I am starting it, but I am not. Sort of odd, my other cars I have owned did not get that high rev start up.
Old 10-27-06, 09:14 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alan,
Thanks for letting me know this can simply happen.

Ons: What are you doing at that outrageous speed, over a 100mph? I hope you are very careful about that, but also good to know that trans does act differently when you take off as opposed to waiting.

MD...,

The only time I have seen what I would call extreme revving at cold start was the one time so far my car immediately stalled on first attempt which was last week and has not happened since. The revving was extreme, in fact somewhat alarming, at second start which held and did not stall. My engine at first start in am sounds pitiful typically otherwise.
Old 10-27-06, 09:28 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onsknht
What I recently found more disturbing is the shift between 5 and 6 around 125-130MPH... The car falls flat for second like it hit a rev limiter, I couldn't hold it past 147MPH but it is more than willing to go there.
Holy Cow! A couple clicks under 150!! Man oh man, I would love to have some highway to attempt that. Too much traffic and way too many blue lights around here.

Your observation about how much throttle response you get by partially depressing the peddle as opposed to mashing it to the floor is dead on.

It's definitely turned cool around here and I can't say I've noticed much difference in shifting patterns. Mine tranny just continues to feel smoother by the month. Am I just getting used to it?
Old 10-27-06, 12:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

The 1MZFE engines that you find in the ES300 and the RX300 for instance have this delay.

When I run my RX at the track, I have to let it warm for at least 3 minutes or the second gear will not engage.

Part of this is not only the fluids such as ATF and coolant, for example, as correctly pointed out, but also it is emissions related to get the cat warmed up.

If you want to run high speed, come down here, the roads are open and the speed gods are live.

Trending Topics

Old 10-27-06, 06:06 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Fellas, not something I would readily try on my own, I had I believe a 650i that I was attempting (and did quite well) to keep up with. Open tollway in Chicago area, you can open them up anywhere, provided traffic is light it won't take long to get there... Not advised in any way though Unless your stupid like me.
Old 10-27-06, 07:36 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onsknht
Fellas, not something I would readily try on my own, I had I believe a 650i that I was attempting (and did quite well) to keep up with. Open tollway in Chicago area, you can open them up anywhere, provided traffic is light it won't take long to get there... Not advised in any way though Unless your stupid like me.
It was in the news last week - a fellow speeding on the 78 & 15 near Escondito, CA (I used to live just North of there). They estimate he was travelling 150 mph when his car failed to keep to the ramp onto 15 South and flipped.

Needless to say he was dead before his car finished rolling off of 15 North.

The CNN article said he had been given a ticket for speeding only a couple of days before.
Old 10-27-06, 08:08 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dreyfus
It was in the news last week - a fellow speeding on the 78 & 15 near Escondito, CA (I used to live just North of there). They estimate he was travelling 150 mph when his car failed to keep to the ramp onto 15 South and flipped.

Needless to say he was dead before his car finished rolling off of 15 North.

The CNN article said he had been given a ticket for speeding only a couple of days before.
Yup... Not the brightest thing to do, but I must say, even stupid(er) to take a ramp at speed.

Nice long well lit, open strip is another story.
Old 10-30-06, 12:42 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Macklin
Holy Cow! A couple clicks under 150!! Man oh man, I would love to have some highway to attempt that. Too much traffic and way too many blue lights around here.
LOL!!! Back when I had my Acura TL-S, I've driven to Death Valley and let me tell ya--there are a few 5+ mile stretches of flat straight road w/ no crossroads where you can just let a car run wide open w/o worrying about cops 'cuz there are hardly any cars in Death Valley, and the road is so open you can see miles ahead. Needless to say, I took full advantage of it and took the TL-S to around 149 mph (speedo)...