ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Wipers Auto mode problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 05:17 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wipers Auto mode problem

I have my wipers set to Auto - I find it works really well and speeds up\slows down when needed. This function has worked well for me since I purchased the car in May.

Earlier this week when it was raining my wipers were moving at the normal non-stop regular speed when I pulled into the parkade at my building. Once I was undercover they usually stop. They didn't stop. They kept going and going until I changed it from Auto mode to the OFF position. I thought this might be a one off, but it happened again the next day. This time it was in a type of intermittent wiping pattern, but once I was out of the rain it continued to wipe. It's like the sensor is confused or something and can't work out if there is rain on the glass or not anymore. It hasn't rained since, so I don't have anything else to report on this as yet.

Anyone else noticed something similar?
Old 11-09-06, 08:40 AM
Boston
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
I have my wipers set to Auto - I find it works really well and speeds up\slows down when needed. This function has worked well for me since I purchased the car in May.

Earlier this week when it was raining my wipers were moving at the normal non-stop regular speed when I pulled into the parkade at my building. Once I was undercover they usually stop. They didn't stop. They kept going and going until I changed it from Auto mode to the OFF position. I thought this might be a one off, but it happened again the next day. This time it was in a type of intermittent wiping pattern, but once I was out of the rain it continued to wipe. It's like the sensor is confused or something and can't work out if there is rain on the glass or not anymore. It hasn't rained since, so I don't have anything else to report on this as yet.

Anyone else noticed something similar?
This happened to my wife for the first time yesterday...intermittent to full wipe; she had to turn to off to reset; it then happened again after turning wipers back on...not sure what happened after that...5000 check coming, she'll be sure to bring it up...
Old 11-09-06, 10:16 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Boston
This happened to my wife for the first time yesterday...intermittent to full wipe; she had to turn to off to reset; it then happened again after turning wipers back on...not sure what happened after that...5000 check coming, she'll be sure to bring it up...
I have 06 ES330 and I have been seeing this almost every morning. When I leave to work my car is fully covered with frost so I actually turn on the vipers and the put it back to auto mode.. although it has cleared the frost or whatever you call it, it keeps on going until I will have to switch it off.. I think the comp is confused. Anyways I do occasioanlly get the vipers (in auto mode) going faster than it should be when the rain was not getting heavy..but most of time it is pretty intelligent..
Old 11-09-06, 06:27 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

This happened to me again last night. This time I noticed that the side mirrors fogged up a little at the same time. The wipers kept going and going, so I'm thinking maybe the windshield was also fogging up just a little and the sensor saw that as rain. I'll see if the mirrors fog up again the next time it happens. We're expecting rain again here in the next few days.
Old 11-11-06, 09:05 AM
Sardian
Driver School Candidate

I had this happen a couple of times. I set the sensitivity to a lower setting and so far it hasn't happened again. You may give that a try.
Old 11-16-06, 03:10 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I've verified this happens only when I enter a high humidity area and the windows and car fog up on the outside. If there is water accumulated in a parking garage (not unusual in BC) then my windows tend to fog up straight away... and the wipers kick in as they can't clear it away and it thinks its raining. It was going at high speed lastnight which was pretty funny to watch with no water on the glass.