ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Question about handling, ride and noise in...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 03:52 PM
mha63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about handling, ride and noise in...

I am getting ready to purchase a ES350 and have read everything on this board and a lot has been written elsewhere regarding the fantastic ride as well as the "wind noise" some experience.

What I haven't seen mentioned or written about is how the ES350 rides, sounds, and performs when the weather is not good, like in the rain, pouring rain, or even snow, although it may be too early for a report on snow or ice conditions.

So, can anyone tell me how is handles and feels in the rain? How about noise levels in the rain? Snow or ice?

Thanks
Old 10-29-06, 04:02 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only driven it in the rain, being in Maryland and having no snow or ice yet this winter. I have driven it through some high puddles, hard accelerations on wet pavement, and taken on ramps pretty fast in the rain and have not "lost it" or even felt like I was going to lose it. I am happy with the handling.

Some of the cars come with Michelin tires. Some come with Bridgestone tires. I think it is just whatever is available at the factory at the time. Mine has the Michelins. I am happy with them.

As to noise, I really have not paid any attention to the noise level during rain. But, it doesn't seem to be an issue.
Old 10-29-06, 04:06 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven in some real downpours in the ES350 so far. I really like the wet weather handling. Auto wipers work great. I feel confident in this car. The control of rain induced noise is very good, and if anything it helps with the wind noise issue a little (I find anyway) as the rain probably acts as an insulator in blocking noise transfer around the window rubbers. I think my Michelin tires sound a little quieter too on a wet road, if that makes any sense.
Old 10-31-06, 10:43 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
I have only driven it in the rain, being in Maryland and having no snow or ice yet this winter. I have driven it through some high puddles, hard accelerations on wet pavement, and taken on ramps pretty fast in the rain and have not "lost it" or even felt like I was going to lose it. I am happy with the handling.

Some of the cars come with Michelin tires. Some come with Bridgestone tires. I think it is just whatever is available at the factory at the time. Mine has the Michelins. I am happy with them.
My car came equipped with Toyo tires. Ugh! But they've done well by me so far and my inclement weather handling is just fine. The ride is quiet enough and like MD350 I haven't ever felt in or close to any trouble.
Old 10-31-06, 11:22 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another plus for Michellin tires here. I felt a lot of control driving in a rain and a good grip with a road. In a weird way, I felt a better cornering during the rain than in a dry weather?!? Other than that, this is a luxury performance cruiser, so you should expect a decent performance and a soft ride. It will not be as soft as LS, but definitely much better than IS/GS. In opposite to soft ride, your handling will not be nowhere near as sporty as IS/GS, especially when it comes to cornering and body roll. I had IS250 loaner for 2 days, that was nice for about 30 minutes. Than, got frustrating and uncomfortable on long drives and in stop-and-go traffic. ES all the way!!!
Old 10-31-06, 03:30 PM
phm129
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've had several heavy rains here in Ohio and the handling has been great! It holds the road well and I haven't noticed any difference in noise levels. Like you, I'm interested in finding out how it handles in the snow and ice since I live in the "snow belt" area east of Cleveland. Since you're from PA I bet we will get snow about the same time that you will.