ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

A Pillar-dash-speaker Rattle Diy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-06, 05:12 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Pillar-dash-speaker Rattle Diy?

I have a rattle at the A pillar junction with dash and there is also a speaker there. I noticed if I press firmly on dash near speaker and right at junction with A pillar it will cease it.

I do NOT want to take it to dealer over this, or if need be will do it at 5k service, has anyone had this and took care of it themselves?

I was thinking of trying one of the wider rubber bands, a piece of one, and carefully wedging it between A pillar and dash junction near that speaker edge unless someone has or had this and the remedy is different than what I may attempt.

Any DIY ideas?
Old 11-05-06, 08:10 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-pillar rattle

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I have a rattle at the A pillar junction with dash and there is also a speaker there. I noticed if I press firmly on dash near speaker and right at junction with A pillar it will cease it.

I do NOT want to take it to dealer over this, or if need be will do it at 5k service, has anyone had this and took care of it themselves?

I was thinking of trying one of the wider rubber bands, a piece of one, and carefully wedging it between A pillar and dash junction near that speaker edge unless someone has or had this and the remedy is different than what I may attempt.

Any DIY ideas?
Bob;
If you can wedge it with a beige colored piece of rubber band, do it. The dealer fix will most likely be invasive and involve removal of the pillar cover, which in your case is cashmere. Even if they use new latex gloves it will get scuffed and is impossible to clean. Also when mine was removed some of the holding clips broke and had to be replaced. Anyway...your call.

Not sure what Lexus' problem is with all these rattles. You would think that with all their design and manufacturing experience, plus their stated goal to provide a quiet driving environment, they would do better. I read in an article about the new LS 460 that as part of their development they are driven over a Lexus "rough" course to identify and thus illiminate rattles. Evidently they have not included their "lesser" models in this practice.

Good luck and hope this helps.
NGG
Old 11-05-06, 08:52 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NGG
Bob;
If you can wedge it with a beige colored piece of rubber band, do it. The dealer fix will most likely be invasive and involve removal of the pillar cover, which in your case is cashmere. Even if they use new latex gloves it will get scuffed and is impossible to clean. Also when mine was removed some of the holding clips broke and had to be replaced. Anyway...your call.

Not sure what Lexus' problem is with all these rattles. You would think that with all their design and manufacturing experience, plus their stated goal to provide a quiet driving environment, they would do better. I read in an article about the new LS 460 that as part of their development they are driven over a Lexus "rough" course to identify and thus illiminate rattles. Evidently they have not included their "lesser" models in this practice.

Good luck and hope this helps.
NGG
Thanks NGG,

I looked and see the material on pillar inside could be roughed up if not handled properly to try to find a remedy. I'll try the rubber band material first before I let it be taken apart unless in the next few days some other idea is posted that does not involve taking anything apart and seems easier than wedging a band in there.

It's volume is more intense than the other rattles in my former ES350 and of course is right in front of me too so that makes it more noticeable. I at least know exactly where it is coming from and can make it stop as long as I firmly push on it at seam where pillar and dash meet, so wedging to seperate the junction area seems right so far.

The middle speaker area of my former car had a rattle but the tried and true bang on surrounding area--dash area not on speaker grille-- cured that one...LOL..this one is more tenacious though