ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Another Transmission Flare

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 12:57 PM
ALALEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Transmission Flare

I joined Club Lexus shortly after taking delivery of my ES-350 in early July. I do enjoy reading through the issues and getting smart on my new wheels.
My ES PP, Tungsten Pearl, is an 05/06 build. My wife drives it most of the time, but I decided I should check for the transmission flare. It's just starting to get cool here in Alabama and the car is garaged, so that may be why I didn't notice a flare the few times I drove the car. I will get a flare of 300 - 400 rpm within the first five minutes of driving, so far only once before the engine warms up (takes a while to get out of the sub-division and get up to 4th). I stopped by my dealer this morning. I am the first local owner to report the problem. One tech has been to a training class and another tech in his class from up north had done four TSB jobs - told the tech from my dealership the "fix" didn't work. I don't want to be the guinea pig for the first time they open up a transmission here, so I'm going to hold off a while and see if Lexus comes out with a new solution. I asked the service manager to annotate my file with the issue and that I will be watching it. Keep me posted if there's any new info. I'll report back if my flare gets any worse with colder weather or as I put more miles on it (only 2000 so far).
Old 11-06-06, 01:04 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALALEX
I joined Club Lexus shortly after taking delivery of my ES-350 in early July. I do enjoy reading through the issues and getting smart on my new wheels.
My ES PP, Tungsten Pearl, is an 05/06 build. My wife drives it most of the time, but I decided I should check for the transmission flare. It's just starting to get cool here in Alabama and the car is garaged, so that may be why I didn't notice a flare the few times I drove the car. I will get a flare of 300 - 400 rpm within the first five minutes of driving, so far only once before the engine warms up (takes a while to get out of the sub-division and get up to 4th). I stopped by my dealer this morning. I am the first local owner to report the problem. One tech has been to a training class and another tech in his class from up north had done four TSB jobs - told the tech from my dealership the "fix" didn't work. I don't want to be the guinea pig for the first time they open up a transmission here, so I'm going to hold off a while and see if Lexus comes out with a new solution. I asked the service manager to annotate my file with the issue and that I will be watching it. Keep me posted if there's any new info. I'll report back if my flare gets any worse with colder weather or as I put more miles on it (only 2000 so far).

Alalex,

You could ask your dealer about replacing the entire transmission as several dealers are doing and have done because the fix didn't work.

You might even want to wait on that for a month or two if you can because someone posted Toyota was changing it's supplier for transmissions on it's Camry so likely ES350 as well.

I wish you good luck no matter because I know it is concerning to have it do it.
Old 11-06-06, 04:03 PM
Sardian
Driver School Candidate

ALALEX,

I just got my ES350 here in Central Alabama couple of weeks ago. I haven't had any problems that I have notices yet and really like the car but all this talk of transmission problems has me a little worried. My car is a Sept. build.

We have bought several Toyota's and have always been very pleased. This is our first Lexus and didn't really think to check on any problems before buying from a brand that has such high reliability ratings.

I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

RLF
Old 11-06-06, 04:50 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sardian
ALALEX,

I just got my ES350 here in Central Alabama couple of weeks ago. I haven't had any problems that I have notices yet and really like the car but all this talk of transmission problems has me a little worried. My car is a Sept. build.

We have bought several Toyota's and have always been very pleased. This is our first Lexus and didn't really think to check on any problems before buying from a brand that has such high reliability ratings.

I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

RLF
Not all ES350s have it. I presume the problem gets worse if untreated. As long as the problem doesnt surface within the first 4 years, you should be covered.... no worries. Wait isnt power-train warranty 72,000 miles or is it 48,000 miles like the rest of the car?