ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Your ES350 looks like the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 01:55 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's a family resemblance, distinctive yet similar. The grilles match quite well.

Both cars are excellent!!!
Old 11-08-06, 04:52 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Then we left and got back into our ES. Oh no! Now our interior feels like a 3/10 and we're riding in a Camry. That LS has changed our perceptions of what a Luxury car should be. 6 hours later and we're looking at our ES and it still looks like a 3/10. All the surfaces seem hard too now in our car, whereas before they seemed soft.
So I guess you'll now have to spend time in a Camry or Avalon to get that sense of luxury back in your ES350.

Remember the value of your ES - the LS is much more expensive.
Old 11-08-06, 02:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
I don't understand why the luxury cars began doing this. I think it started with MB around 2000, when the C-class came out and looked like a smaller S-class. BMW followed with the 3,5, and 7 and now Lexus. I personally would rather see a unique design in each class and price point, rather than having a "smaller LS" (the ES) or a "smaller GS" (the IS).
The Germans have dictated styling in the luxury market since the begining. And from the begining its been mostly a 1 shape, 3 different sizes execution.

Funny but Lexus was the first brand to really be a successful luxury company and have none of their cars/SUVs look like and
1. They were still recognizable as a Lexus.
2. Consumers didn't mind and bought in droves.

Move on the post 2000 and the Germans while keeping styling cues, have gone Japanese in making their cars look less and less alike. Whereas before a 3 or C class looked like a shrunk 7 or S class, we cannot say that anymore.

In contrast, Lexus still does not have the 1 shape, 3 size look but they are sharing more and more styling cues with the "L-finesse" styling language.

If anything, individual Lexus cars have similar styling elements.
1. IS has curved C-pillar going upwards and angular "angry" headlights. Now will share vertical slope grill with GS.
2. GS has always had a very curved C-pillar and for 2 generations quad headlights. Long hood, very short deck. Every GS generation has had a vertical grill.
3. LS has had a horizontal grill for over 12 years now. It always has had a curved c-pillar.
4. SC gained a horizontal grill in 1997 and that was expanded with the 2nd gen in 2002.
5. RX has always had a vertical grill.
6. LX has always had a horizontal grill.

This is odd b/c with the Germans, all the grills are the same on all the cars. BMW has the double kidney. Audi has now the huge gaping mouth. Benz the big chrome grill and horizontal slants on coupes.
Old 11-09-06, 08:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Germans have dictated styling in the luxury market since the begining. And from the begining its been mostly a 1 shape, 3 different sizes execution.

Funny but Lexus was the first brand to really be a successful luxury company and have none of their cars/SUVs look like and
1. They were still recognizable as a Lexus.
2. Consumers didn't mind and bought in droves.

Move on the post 2000 and the Germans while keeping styling cues, have gone Japanese in making their cars look less and less alike. Whereas before a 3 or C class looked like a shrunk 7 or S class, we cannot say that anymore.

In contrast, Lexus still does not have the 1 shape, 3 size look but they are sharing more and more styling cues with the "L-finesse" styling language.

If anything, individual Lexus cars have similar styling elements.
1. IS has curved C-pillar going upwards and angular "angry" headlights. Now will share vertical slope grill with GS.
2. GS has always had a very curved C-pillar and for 2 generations quad headlights. Long hood, very short deck. Every GS generation has had a vertical grill.
3. LS has had a horizontal grill for over 12 years now. It always has had a curved c-pillar.
4. SC gained a horizontal grill in 1997 and that was expanded with the 2nd gen in 2002.
5. RX has always had a vertical grill.
6. LX has always had a horizontal grill.

This is odd b/c with the Germans, all the grills are the same on all the cars. BMW has the double kidney. Audi has now the huge gaping mouth. Benz the big chrome grill and horizontal slants on coupes.
Manufacturers want to have familiar "faces" on all of their cars to give their brand more presence out on the road.

Last edited by LexBob2; 11-09-06 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-09-06, 09:40 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno... I think this looks pretty good.

Old 11-09-06, 11:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

It looks very good...
Old 11-09-06, 02:09 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I saw the thread "Your ES350 looks like the LS460", two things popped into my head: Aerosmith song "Dude looks like a lady" and the old, old joke from Rodney Dangerfield about the doctor who told the patient he had a case of the "exactlys". Just cracked me up.
Old 11-09-06, 07:07 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It looks very good...
Thanky sir... I actually found the Camry looking at the ES'es first, figuring little kids don't care about $10K worth of bling, it made the most sense. I see you're a fellow Lincoln-ite, I'm near the city myself. If you see any similar Camry's around, reverse my screen name and you'd be reading my vanity plate.
Old 11-10-06, 03:20 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by onsknht
Thanky sir... I actually found the Camry looking at the ES'es first, figuring little kids don't care about $10K worth of bling, it made the most sense. I see you're a fellow Lincoln-ite, I'm near the city myself. If you see any similar Camry's around, reverse my screen name and you'd be reading my vanity plate.
im all for camrys...owned one for a long time.... I think having a camry makes ecomomic sense and its very practical. I dont think a student without a job should be driving a Lexus, yet he/she might want the reliability and the quality of a Toyota. Camry is prolly what I'll get my daughter....in 14 years.
Old 11-10-06, 03:59 PM
e-Mel
Rookie

Originally Posted by cocopops
hehe.. i have only seen 1 LS460 from a distance so far. I do admit the rear does look similar to the ES350. But the interior is probably the one that will trounce our ES350. Has anyone been able to get a demo of the self-park?

Here's a demo:
http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=520
Old 11-10-06, 08:35 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgive me but ONSKNHT continues to post his Camry here and while I think the car is delightful it is not a Lexus. People keep saying how much the Camry is just like the ES350. Well I am sorry but I disagree. The Camry’s are easy to spot and I view them as different from their Lexus brethren. The grill is different, the lower skirt, the wheels, the roof line, the badges, the optional features, the look and feel of the interior. Most of all, the back end just looks different to me. Also, Camry’s are available with a 4 cylinder motor whereas the Lexus just is not. I got the opportunity this afternoon to see both of the cars, almost next to each other from behind (the Camry and the ES350) and had no problem telling one from the other.

Nice as it is the Campy is not a Lexus and for me the choice was a simple one and it had nothing to do with bling or vanity plates.

Last edited by psp; 11-10-06 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-10-06, 10:12 PM
MR.FG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psp
Forgive me but ONSKNHT continues to post his Camry here and while I think the car is delightful it is not a Lexus. People keep saying how much the Camry is just like the ES350. Well I am sorry but I disagree. The Camry’s are easy to spot and I view them as different from their Lexus brethren. The grill is different, the lower skirt, the wheels, the roof line, the badges, the optional features, the look and feel of the interior. Most of all, the back end just looks different to me. Also, Camry’s are available with a 4 cylinder motor whereas the Lexus just is not. I got the opportunity this afternoon to see both of the cars, almost next to each other from behind (the Camry and the ES350) and had no problem telling one from the other.

Nice as it is the Campy is not a Lexus and for me the choice was a simple one and it had nothing to do with bling or vanity plates.

I could not agree with you more, Lexus did a good job of making the ES350 distinctive even though it comes from the same block of material, it also sports dual exhaust pipes. Very nice car you have, by the way.
Old 11-11-06, 07:55 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by psp

Oh, I'm not saying the Camry is a Direct replacement for the ES... They are however siblings. If I owned the I4, I would not be here. However the Camry I have has the same identicle hidden components as the ES and yes the bodies/external appearance is different, but people who own neither make quick associations. I tossed my Camry into this post because it was being discussed.

As mentioned earlier... I started out in the Lexus lot. At first I was all over the IS but it was a cramped up ride for me, so I went into the ES department. A little online research later, I figured out the Camry option packages and then started to play the economics game... Considering I have a son who is 7 and a daughter who is 3, I could no longer justify premium components because the kids just don't know the difference. It's the trips to the baseball games and other odd events where kids run in and out of the car with dirty feet, sticky hands or bring our Dachshund for a ride that changed my mind. Not to mention sippy cups with loose lids and their little friends who are equally ignorant to the old man's luxury car.

I look at cars as a tool, not an investment and I never expect to get anything in return from buying one... In a few years when the kids are a little bigger/have more self control, I'll spring for the "comfort" options found in Lexus over Toyota, in the meantime the extra 10K I saved will net larger returns on my financial investments.
Old 11-11-06, 07:58 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MR.FG
I could not agree with you more, Lexus did a good job of making the ES350 distinctive even though it comes from the same block of material, it also sports dual exhaust pipes. Very nice car you have, by the way.
Dualies?

Old 11-11-06, 01:55 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
the ES and the LS looks so much alike to the untrained eye. biggest diffference is the exhaust
I was at the dealer today hoping to drive a new LS. There were about 6 cars but all were sold. My salesman said it wouldn't right to drive a car that is already signed and sealed...just waiting to be delivered. If something were to happen, the dealerships liability would be severe. At least I had the chance to sit, feel, play with and google at the car. I also thought it looked a lot like an ES. But don't fool yourselves.....this car is way sleeker and much more refined than the ES. The tailpipes integrated into the bumper are way cool. There is no denying the family resemblance...but there is no denying these are two completely different animals.

I'll will say this....for some, the extra premium for an LS makes no sense. The ES looks great and similar enough to the halo model that buying the top model car could be overkill. Unless of course your pockets are really deep.