ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Vs. G35 S

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-06 | 04:53 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Default ES350 Vs. G35 S

ES350 Vs. G35 S

Immediately before the resolution to my car I had just gone on a test drive of the G35 S, the sport version, as they were just in and no non-sport version sedans were prepped.

The sedan, according to the dealer, is supposed to be slightly quieter and also slightly softer ride than the sport version of the same.

I had prior never given Infiniti a thought but some were raving over it on the IS forum so I had to check it out and I now see why some IS owners rave on it.

Disliked:
The keyless ignition push start button location
The increase of tire on road noise at speeds, type of surface dependent, though S version may be set up different than non-S version
Acceleration engine volume, a very noticeable growl with heavier acceleration, some like hearing that, I prefer not to the degree present
Less rear leg room

Loved:
306 HP
The seats
Acceleration is not fly by wire, it is direct, and it is awesome and you will be pressed back in your seat and apologizing to salesman as driving an ES sets you up, me anyway, to need to adjust to direct acceleration.
Brakes that stop you on a dime, again apologizing to salesman. And are anything but spongy as I find the ES brakes, though my newer car is slightly better than the prior.
Steering and handling in general.
No wind noise.
No diesel knocking tapping

IF, and this a big IF, the non-sport sedan version is the same in most every way, especially brakes and engine HP but is indeed quieter than the S version and indeed a slightly softer ride than S version, good thing my car was resolved or I'd likely have bought an Infiniti G35, Graphite in color.

I now don't mind comparisons drawn between our car and an Infiniti, they are both great cars.
Old 11-07-06 | 10:26 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

The non-sport version is probably quieter since it'll come with smaller rims (17?) and a slightly softer suspension. It'll also come with smaller brakes. (i.e not the 4-pot Brembos or whatever's equipped on the S)
Old 11-07-06 | 10:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
ES350 Vs. G35 S

Immediately before the resolution to my car I had just gone on a test drive of the G35 S, the sport version, as they were just in and no non-sport version sedans were prepped.

The sedan, according to the dealer, is supposed to be slightly quieter and also slightly softer ride than the sport version of the same.

I had prior never given Infiniti a thought but some were raving over it on the IS forum so I had to check it out and I now see why some IS owners rave on it.

Disliked:
The keyless ignition push start button location
The increase of tire on road noise at speeds, type of surface dependent, though S version may be set up different than non-S version
Acceleration engine volume, a very noticeable growl with heavier acceleration, some like hearing that, I prefer not to the degree present
Less rear leg room

Loved:
306 HP
The seats
Acceleration is not fly by wire, it is direct, and it is awesome and you will be pressed back in your seat and apologizing to salesman as driving an ES sets you up, me anyway, to need to adjust to direct acceleration.
Brakes that stop you on a dime, again apologizing to salesman. And are anything but spongy as I find the ES brakes, though my newer car is slightly better than the prior.
Steering and handling in general.
No wind noise.
No diesel knocking tapping

IF, and this a big IF, the non-sport sedan version is the same in most every way, especially brakes and engine HP but is indeed quieter than the S version and indeed a slightly softer ride than S version, good thing my car was resolved or I'd likely have bought an Infiniti G35, Graphite in color.

I now don't mind comparisons drawn between our car and an Infiniti, they are both great cars.
The reviews that I've seen (Motorweek on PBS) and read (Car & Driver and Edmunds) on the new G35 have been favorable. It's always compared in the the BMW 3 series. In some areas they say it's not there yet, and in others they say it's a good alternative. Since I like the ES, I'd probably favor the non-sport G35.
Old 11-07-06 | 10:45 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The non-sport version is probably quieter since it'll come with smaller rims (17?) and a slightly softer suspension. It'll also come with smaller brakes. (i.e not the 4-pot Brembos or whatever's equipped on the S)
Next,

Yup, I remember now that you pointed out the rims, the sales guy said the non-sport will come with 17" so more rubber.

Don't quote me but I think he said the brakes will be the same for each in the 07.

I do like the direct acceleration better than the by wire of our's and of course love the brakes on the Infiniti.

I was impressed with it and feel like I have been a brand bigot never looking at them before, heck never looking at any other than the MB and Lexus and thee is a world of cars out there now a days.

And I'd much rather our car be stated as comparable to them than the one reviewer stated the one model Hyundai, Healey I think was the reviewer.

No offense intended to Hyundai but prefer an Infiniti comparison if there is going to be one.
Old 11-07-06 | 10:53 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The reviews that I've seen (Motorweek on PBS) and read (Car & Driver and Edmunds) on the new G35 have been favorable. It's always compared in the the BMW 3 series. In some areas they say it's not there yet, and in others they say it's a good alternative. Since I like the ES, I'd probably favor the non-sport G35.
LexBob,

I'd prefer the non-sport too and a little more interior color option if I were going to get one. That Graphite color is way HOT though, one could compromise and settle for the interior on it...LOL..I love the wheat color interior but supposedly cannot get it in the Graphite exterior.

I'll go check out the non-sport sedan for the heck of it in a few weeks just to see as I am very curious about it, not to buy one, just to be aware of what is out there.

And the dash of the 07 M and controls are very nice too, though steered clear of that car for the cost of it, though it too is very nice looking like our LS is.