ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

What build date did the Tranny Issue got resolved, if any?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-06, 10:07 AM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What build date did the Tranny Issue got resolved, if any?

I am interested in buying a UL ES 350. It just got shipped to the dealership this week from the port. So I am not sure what is the build date of this particular ES 350 yet.. Before I make the move on buying the car, has Lexus resolve this Tranny issue on the current build date or are they going to wait it out for the 2008 model year to fix this Tranny issue?

Thanks,
Old 11-07-06, 10:28 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsardar
I am interested in buying a UL ES 350. It just got shipped to the dealership this week from the port. So I am not sure what is the build date of this particular ES 350 yet.. Before I make the move on buying the car, has Lexus resolve this Tranny issue on the current build date or are they going to wait it out for the 2008 model year to fix this Tranny issue?

Thanks,
It has not been resolved yet to my knowledge.

Until there is announcement of a change in transmission supplier for ES350 as it seems there recently was for Camry, it seems the risk for it will be there.
Old 11-07-06, 11:54 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I think we are mixing different tranny issues in here. Back when ES350 was first introduced, they had a serious manufacturing problem with early 03/06-05/06 builds (not all of them, but a significant number). THAT specific problem was fixed starting with 06/06 build. The new problem we are talking about is that famous TSIB cold start 3rd-4th gear problem. That has not been resolved and apparently not present in all of the cars. So, its probably another manufacturing problem and not a design flow. I want to say that TSIB problem is more typical for 06/06-08/06 builds, anybody??? Also it was found that TSIB described resolution of changing a valve body doesn't really work, so if problem found they just replace the whole tranny and give you a free Platinum Extended Warranty upgrade (just got my letter in the mail).

On a positive note, in most of the cases Lexus takes care of this problem very good in order to keep their customers happy. Of course, ES350Bob was an exception where every possible problem was found in his car and poor guy went through hell with his original dealership. There is a number of negative posts in this forum, but don't let them get you discouraged from buying this fine piece of machinery
Old 11-07-06, 12:33 PM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
I think we are mixing different tranny issues in here. Back when ES350 was first introduced, they had a serious manufacturing problem with early 03/06-05/06 builds (not all of them, but a significant number). THAT specific problem was fixed starting with 06/06 build. The new problem we are talking about is that famous TSIB cold start 3rd-4th gear problem. That has not been resolved and apparently not present in all of the cars. So, its probably another manufacturing problem and not a design flow. I want to say that TSIB problem is more typical for 06/06-08/06 builds, anybody??? Also it was found that TSIB described resolution of changing a valve body doesn't really work, so if problem found they just replace the whole tranny and give you a free Platinum Extended Warranty upgrade (just got my letter in the mail).

On a positive note, in most of the cases Lexus takes care of this problem very good in order to keep their customers happy. Of course, ES350Bob was an exception where every possible problem was found in his car and poor guy went through hell with his original dealership. There is a number of negative posts in this forum, but don't let them get you discouraged from buying this fine piece of machinery
Thank you, keeping me focus on the positive direction on this vehicle. I guess my only concern is that I don't want to replace my tranny because I am scared the car would never drive the same once the tranny is replaced. But i could be wrong seem like some of you are happy after replacing the tranny. Knowing myself I am pretty **** when it comes to perfection. I guess that my personality.

Anyways, I know this is a stupid question what is a TSIB?
Old 11-07-06, 12:43 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrsardar
Thank you, keeping me focus on the positive direction on this vehicle. I guess my only concern is that I don't want to replace my tranny because I am scared the car would never drive the same once the tranny is replaced. But i could be wrong seem like some of you are happy after replacing the tranny. Knowing myself I am pretty **** when it comes to perfection. I guess that my personality.

Anyways, I know this is a stupid question what is a TSIB?

Gooch just posted under his transmission resolution title that his transmission is suffering the same issue after service for same. A TSIB is a technical service bulletin that instructs dealer service what to do to resolve a problem.

As for concerns, you need be aware of them as most can be ruled out by you before you accept delivery of your car. The trans is not though, it shows up later if it is going to.
Old 11-07-06, 11:00 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I have an 04/06 and I'm about to get the TSIB for 3-4th gear slip\flare\issue. I've had problems since 2000kms, and I'm presently just under 14000kms. I've also got a whine when the vehicle is hot around 2000rpm at times from the trans. I've also experienced slipping from 1-2 and 2-3 gears, which is a classic sign of the early trans problems where the trans dies. Today actually after extensive stop\stop\stop\go traffic on I-5 I had a number of 2-3 gear flaring at low speeds in parking lots.

My trans was flawless until 2000kms. That seems to be when people start noticing issues. It's quite scary the first time it happens as it really makes you wonder what the heck is going on.

There hasn't been any date where we know there are no longer any issues. This will just come with time as people hopefully report buying newer builds and having no issues as the vehicle ages.
Old 11-08-06, 08:41 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default solved???

I just called my Service Mgr and asked about the tranny issue. He said it has been corrected at the factory....

So Maybe.................
Old 11-09-06, 06:56 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Just to chime in, I do not have the tranny problem (no evidence of flare-ing, no clunking, no wandering) and mine was built in 4/06. I am sensitive enought to detect the problem.

Maybe I'm lucky, maybe the magnitude of the problem does not affect a large number of vehicles (reading this forum it appears that many of the contributors do - but not all).