ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

New tranny, new problems, or is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 07:47 PM
PDG810810
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I am at the 5K service period, complained about the shift flare, and after the dealer verified the slip twice they ordered a new tranny for me.
Scheduled to be installed next week.
Someone needs to start a poll on if tranny #2 did the trick.
If the next one slips, what are my options? I am also thinking about getting rid of the car in favor of the GS.
Old 11-19-06, 08:08 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PDG, not sure if you read my "HELP" thread? I had a slippage with my first original tranny. Than, it was replaced with a new one and developed the same problem a week later. In addition, the new tranny had a very jerky shifting behavior. Dealership confirmed the problem, contacted East Coast Corporate Relationship Lexus office. Without any problem, they approved a buy-back of the car. Getting my GS350 AWD tomorrow. End of story...
Old 11-19-06, 09:43 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

The Dealer wants to replace my trans now, after the TSIB failed. I'm hoping to hear from Lexus tomorrow as I've lodged a complaint as I'm not happy with this. I just need a (relatively) problem free vehicle. I just can't keep running back to the dealer for things like this. If I'd wanted that type of a relationship I'd have bought another brand of car!

If I do go with the option of a new ES, I'm going to seek something in writing up front as to what happens if that trans has issues. You might want to think about doing something similar.
Old 11-20-06, 01:06 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PDG810810
Well, I am at the 5K service period, complained about the shift flare, and after the dealer verified the slip twice they ordered a new tranny for me.
Scheduled to be installed next week.
Someone needs to start a poll on if tranny #2 did the trick.
If the next one slips, what are my options? I am also thinking about getting rid of the car in favor of the GS.

PDG..Glad they decided to stop telling you it's learning....If you can tolerate it for a while, couple of months, I'd say do that before they replace the transmission as even those are not working, though that would delay them addressing your car as a defective vehicle if you wait and don't have trans replaced now.

My 2nd car has this 3 to 4 slip, did it this am but had not done it for several days. It is a 09/06 build date and as you know Twister's failed second trans last week and Gooch's.

I don't think they know what they are doing, so if your car is absent diesel engine noise, wind noise and you can wait, maybe that would not be a bad idea.

Whatever you do, good luck to you on this.
Old 11-20-06, 01:47 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

My car is a 08/06 build, and I experienced the flare/slip between 3 to 4 every time I drive from a cold start. This only started at 1,200 miles. I have informed my dealer, but I don't want to do anything until they have figured out what is really wrong. For the short term, I'm willing to wait until they find a fix. However, this slip/flare is not acceptable for the long-term.

The flare/slip causes the RPM to spike about 500 rpms no matter how hard or soft I am accelerating. And it only occurs once after the cold start.
Old 11-20-06, 02:01 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2007es350
My car is a 08/06 build, and I experienced the flare/slip between 3 to 4 every time I drive from a cold start. This only started at 1,200 miles. I have informed my dealer, but I don't want to do anything until they have figured out what is really wrong. For the short term, I'm willing to wait until they find a fix. However, this slip/flare is not acceptable for the long-term.

The flare/slip causes the RPM to spike about 500 rpms no matter how hard or soft I am accelerating. And it only occurs once after the cold start.

I am in agreement with your approach 80 percent of the time and will suggest same to others as above....

...then 20 percent of the time I am so furious my 2nd car is dong this I want to pick up the phone and make a svc. appointment but I know those nice people down there have nothing solid to offer me on this and even a 3rd car is not a guarantee even if it went to that.

I'll wait a few weeks and see what the latest is on these and on my car's trans behavior, but Lexus needs to get it's act together on this troubling issue, not everyone is going to want to trade into a GS to get a different type of trans to have a greater chance to avoid this nonsense or other nonsense.
Old 11-20-06, 02:03 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinon, this is an ECM issue, not a tranny issue. This is why new trannys still act up after being replaced. I would not start replacing trannys until Lexus has a 100% fix. Just my two cents.
Old 11-20-06, 02:17 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MD350
In my opinon, this is an ECM issue, not a tranny issue. This is why new trannys still act up after being replaced. I would not start replacing trannys until Lexus has a 100% fix. Just my two cents.

MD,

Early on when I first came to CL back in early August I thought it was software myself, I noted it as having a mind of it's own at 1st service while also going in for it's other problems like diesel engine and wind noise and steering wheel vibration.

Week(s) later I debated a Lexus VP about it, me insisting it was auto-throttle, aka software, and him insisting it was trans itself.

Until I heard the under hood recordings of it slipping I still felt it in the back of my mind it might be software involved , but those recordings sold me lock stock and barrel, it sounds like a transmission starved of fluid, the very thing the TSIB valve is supposed to correct, only more than one gear set was inolved in my former car and I suspect many others as well because the various gear valve bodies work similar.

It took me hearing recordings to let go of software and realize why they were replacing valves and trans.

The problem I feel is they are and have been too stubborn in thinking the problem is isolated to a few trans so they keep using the same defective parts and/or defective trans to fix the problem rather than change suppliers.
Old 11-20-06, 03:03 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob

I am in agreement with your approach 80 percent of the time and will suggest same to others as above....

...then 20 percent of the time I am so furious my 2nd car is dong this I want to pick up the phone and make a svc. appointment but I know those nice people down there have nothing solid to offer me on this and even a 3rd car is not a guarantee even if it went to that.

I'll wait a few weeks and see what the latest is on these and on my car's trans behavior, but Lexus needs to get it's act together on this troubling issue, not everyone is going to want to trade into a GS to get a different type of trans to have a greater chance to avoid this nonsense or other nonsense.
I know the problem exists, and it is irritating to happen on a car with my build date when the problem was supposedly resolved already. However, I really don't want me dealer to start just changing parts without really fixing the problem. As much as I like my dealer service department, every time someone tries to fix a problem, you run the risk of damaging your vehicle (even slightly) in another way.

I personally think the problem is mechanical in nature, because I never had this problem until about 1,200 miles. Trust me, I paid attention to this for the first 500 miles to confirm that my car was not affected. Also at the 1,200mark, you can't even pretend it's not there. The slip is quite substantial and noticable. If it was software, it should have been there in the beginning.

Although my dealer is a little skeptical of my description, my service manager reassures me that Lexus will not abandon me on this transmission issue. I'm sure once he drives my car cold, he will know what I'm talking about.

I think part of the problem that we encounter with our dealers and Lexus is that they are soooooo tired about dealing with the ES330 transmission issue about hesitation between gears. Our issue is different, because we are not complaining about the responsiveness of the tranny...but the actual everyday function of accelerating at a steady pace (whether light or heavy).

What should we all do that is constructive? Do you really think Toyota/Lexus does not know about this problem?

Last edited by 2007es350; 11-20-06 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-20-06, 05:22 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's 2004 Sienna with the 3.3L had the same hesitation issue as did the ES330 models. However, a recent "flash" to the ECM solved the problem.

As to the ES350 issue, I don't think anyone knows the fix for this yet. Some service departments may want to do a tranny overhaul just to be able to claim this warranty work to Lexus to make some $$$. It may not be necessary. If my car had the flare, I would hold off until a 100% fix was established. Just my opinion.
Old 11-21-06, 05:44 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is my opinion too on the starved for fluid idea. When it is cold, the viscosity of the transmission fluid (and engine oil that causes the lifter type noise when cold) is thicker and cannot move fast enough until heated up. Had no problems when the temperature overnight was in the sixties / daytime in the seventies. Now that the overnight temp is in the thirties, that's when the noises / flares come up. My independent garage guy's opinion, after hearing the morning clatter, is that there is may be a problem with the oil filter, not having or limited drainback valve that is supposed to leave some oil in the filter. This enables the filter to get oil into the engine faster on cold startups. Along with the increased viscosity of colder oil that probably increases / lengthens the time of clatter.
Old 11-21-06, 08:24 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2007es350
I personally think the problem is mechanical in nature, because I never had this problem until about 1,200 miles. Trust me, I paid attention to this for the first 500 miles to confirm that my car was not affected. Also at the 1,200mark, you can't even pretend it's not there. The slip is quite substantial and noticable. If it was software, it should have been there in the beginning.
~1200 miles = ~2000kms. 2000kms is when my trans started to slip, and it really scared me at the time as I wondered what the hell was happening to the car. Up until that point the trans was great. It tends to gradually get worse from that point too, atleast in my case.
Old 11-21-06, 10:35 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wanderer99
~1200 miles = ~2000kms. 2000kms is when my trans started to slip, and it really scared me at the time as I wondered what the hell was happening to the car. Up until that point the trans was great. It tends to gradually get worse from that point too, atleast in my case.

I'm concerned enough about the slipping that I won't duck my head under the sand and just pretend that the problem doesn't exist. However, I don't want to have my car in the shop as to let them try different solutions. But when the real "fix" comes out, I want the problem corrected. So for the time being, I'm going to get this problem verified and documented by my dealer at this fairly early mileage; this way Lexus won't be able to deny this problem with my car later.
Old 11-22-06, 06:15 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by garsarno
That is my opinion too on the starved for fluid idea. When it is cold, the viscosity of the transmission fluid (and engine oil that causes the lifter type noise when cold) is thicker and cannot move fast enough until heated up. Had no problems when the temperature overnight was in the sixties / daytime in the seventies. Now that the overnight temp is in the thirties, that's when the noises / flares come up. My independent garage guy's opinion, after hearing the morning clatter, is that there is may be a problem with the oil filter, not having or limited drainback valve that is supposed to leave some oil in the filter. This enables the filter to get oil into the engine faster on cold startups. Along with the increased viscosity of colder oil that probably increases / lengthens the time of clatter.
When you get a chance, tell your garage guy that both the lifter noise and the "flare" can happen when am temps are in mid to upper 70's and ask him to contemplate that for you as well as part of his opinion.

Middle of summer heat here and cannery works engine and trans flare with am temps in 70's for my former car.
Old 11-22-06, 02:28 PM
e-Mel
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
When you get a chance, tell your garage guy that both the lifter noise and the "flare" can happen when am temps are in mid to upper 70's and ask him to contemplate that for you as well as part of his opinion.

Middle of summer heat here and cannery works engine and trans flare with am temps in 70's for my former car.
Just out of curiosity why would someone tell their garage guy that the noise and flare can happen at high am temps when that person has never experienced noise or flare at high am temps?

Quick Reply: New tranny, new problems, or is this normal?