ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

New tranny, new problems, or is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-06, 08:30 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New tranny, new problems, or is this normal?

As you guys know, I had that infamous cold start 3rd/4th gear flaring which was taking care of by replacing the tranny. That problem was obvious with 2k RPM jump with engine rev up, all within a second of a time from a cold start 2 minutes into driving and always on the same spot of the road. No TSIB was done. Now, I'm being glued to RPM dial every morning, monitoring what is happening.

Right now, I noticed a new thing. Engine doesn't rev up or I feel like car was kicked in neutral for a split second, and RPM needle doesn't jump as high. BUT, it happens on exactly the same spot 2 min into driving from cold start with a normal moderate acceleration and RPM jump up and back to normal for approximately 500 ticks. Because of when and where it happens, I'm sure its between 3rd/4th gear as well. Its not as terrible as it was in my previous case, and I probably wouldn't even notice if I would not be looking at RPM dial. Is this normal or a problem?

Another new thing I noticed, something that I have seen and experienced in a lot of cars, but it didn't happen with my original tranny. Often when I go fast, and have to slow down briefly to go over a pothole or speed bump, etc., without coming to a complete stop and then push gas pedal to pick up the speed, I feel this tranny hickup with a small jerk when gears downshift/upshift. Again, I seen this plenty of times in different cars due to a tranny shifting which is not as smooth. But, I never experienced this with my original tranny in ES350. So, should I worry about it or maybe its a part of still braking it since my new tranny is only 2 weeks old?
Old 11-09-06, 08:37 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
As you guys know, I had that infamous cold start 3rd/4th gear flaring which was taking care of by replacing the tranny. That problem was obvious with 2k RPM jump with engine rev up, all within a second of a time from a cold start 2 minutes into driving and always on the same spot of the road. No TSIB was done. Now, I'm being glued to RPM dial every morning, monitoring what is happening.

Right now, I noticed a new thing. Engine doesn't rev up or I feel like car was kicked in neutral for a split second, and RPM needle doesn't jump as high. BUT, it happens on exactly the same spot 2 min into driving from cold start with a normal moderate acceleration and RPM jump up and back to normal for approximately 500 ticks. Because of when and where it happens, I'm sure its between 3rd/4th gear as well. Its not as terrible as it was in my previous case, and I probably wouldn't even notice if I would not be looking at RPM dial. Is this normal or a problem?

Another new thing I noticed, something that I have seen and experienced in a lot of cars, but it didn't happen with my original tranny. Often when I go fast, and have to slow down briefly to go over a pothole or speed bump, etc., without coming to a complete stop and then push gas pedal to pick up the speed, I feel this tranny hickup with a small jerk when gears downshift/upshift. Again, I seen this plenty of times in different cars due to a tranny shifting which is not as smooth. But, I never experienced this with my original tranny in ES350. So, should I worry about it or maybe its a part of still braking it since my new tranny is only 2 weeks old?
Twister,

My second car has the "flare" and this am the WORST and I am beside myself over it, only different than my other car, as an awful burning oil or fluid type smell as well that I don't recall ever smelling with former car.

The "flare" if you jog your memory starts off mild and progresses, at least did with me and likely your's too if you think back.
Old 11-09-06, 08:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Twister,

My second car has the "flare" and this am the WORST and I am beside myself over it, only different than my other car, as an awful burning oil or fluid type smell as well that I don't recall ever smelling with former car.

The "flare" if you jog your memory starts off mild and progresses, at least did with me and likely your's too if you think back.
Bob, that's really a shame - Unbelievable! Maybe it's time to consdier getting out of the Lexus brand and into something else even if if costs you some money to do so.

Last edited by LexBob2; 11-09-06 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-09-06, 08:48 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Twister - I'd give it some more time to see how it develops. Do you feel that the trans is behaving normally? From your initial description it seems the answer is no. I'd absolutely call the dealer though and let them know what you're seeing as a first step, and I'd do that today. This way they can note it down, and if you take the vehicle in two weeks from now you'll have atleast a few weeks of documentation on this already.

One thing I do know - my slippage has gotten worse as my trans ages.
Old 11-09-06, 08:53 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Bob, that's really a shame - Unbelievable! Maybe it's time to consdier getting out of the Lexus brand and into something else even if if costs you some money to do so.
LexBob,

I am not as worried this time as last as been there done this with former car. And bless those people at Orlando, even if I wanted to get all sullen and morose over it I remember their genuine pledge to me about me being happy and they will take care of this without any doubt in my mind.

I just cannot believe this is happening again!!!!! And part of me hopes it will just get over itself and behave like it should as it has such low miles, barely a 100, I'll give it a week to learn, educate itself or whatever the darn thing needs to do before I bother svc. Maybe the smell is a burning label as Wanderer dealer said on his ealry on, but it doesn't smell like paper
Old 11-09-06, 09:16 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
BTW...last night I heard and felt a bang-boom like noise just as my former car did the first few hours I owned the former which I thought was it's suspension, same thing last night with this newer car only it is the glass metal combo rattle thing in back glass area, that's what rattles after the bang-boom and shake of car. This am I have the glass metal combo rattle.

I'm going to go find a Priest, a Rabbi, an Imam and Medicine Man before I buy any other car, EVER, to go over it with incantations....LOL
Old 11-09-06, 09:30 AM
nyardich
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, Bob, U don't mention the cold start engine noise. The diesel, tapping, etc.
So I assume that your new car is perfect in that respect.????????

Nick
Old 11-09-06, 09:34 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellas, I been saying all along... Your trannys will not leave you stranded!

This is a programming issue which is being covered up by exceptional customer service (replacement tranny/cars/etc.) until the real solution can be sorted out.

FWIW - my car will occasionally shift with a thunk! bang! or whatever you want to call it... Usually I notice this when I try and change my course of action inbetween the car adjusting for my previous course of action. For example, slowing for a speedbump in front of the grocery store and slowing for a pedestrian that waves me by. The car is downshifting or coasting or what have you as it was kinda preparing for me to stop (declining speed, application of brakes, etc)... Being polite, I hit the gas to get out of the way of the pedestrian that waved me by and have effectively "faked the car out" so it shifts hard into the most efficient gear considering all other inputs the ECU is dealing with.

Remember fellas, we're intelligent humans manipulating a computer controlled contraption that gets us from point A to Point B... It's only inevitable that we fool the dumb computer every now and then. And it only makes sense that as with any code developer, they cannot code for every situation and every moronic system user... Not saying anyone here is a moron, just saying that we all are different people, we have different experiences and we all drive our cars differently. There's not a single computer program in existence (including this BBS) for which we will all interface exactly the same way.

In the interim, I would suggest the 2 minute warm up when temps are below 60* as I've advocated all along... This appears to mitigate the RPM spike, very well.
Old 11-09-06, 09:37 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nyardich
So, Bob, U don't mention the cold start engine noise. The diesel, tapping, etc.
So I assume that your new car is perfect in that respect.????????

Nick
No Nick, it has sewing machine level of that but my thought is this on that. My other had cannery works full shift with overtime employees brought in, then over a few hundred miles it dropped slight to just full shift no over time employees brought in.

My hope is the sewing machine level will also drop over a few hundred miles to where I do not hear it all. Even present it is mild and light years better than former car.
Old 11-09-06, 09:48 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onsknht
Fellas, I been saying all along... Your trannys will not leave you stranded!

This is a programming issue which is being covered up by exceptional customer service (replacement tranny/cars/etc.) until the real solution can be sorted out.

FWIW - my car will occasionally shift with a thunk! bang! or whatever you want to call it... Usually I notice this when I try and change my course of action inbetween the car adjusting for my previous course of action. For example, slowing for a speedbump in front of the grocery store and slowing for a pedestrian that waves me by. The car is downshifting or coasting or what have you as it was kinda preparing for me to stop (declining speed, application of brakes, etc)... Being polite, I hit the gas to get out of the way of the pedestrian that waved me by and have effectively "faked the car out" so it shifts hard into the most efficient gear considering all other inputs the ECU is dealing with.

Remember fellas, we're intelligent humans manipulating a computer controlled contraption that gets us from point A to Point B... It's only inevitable that we fool the dumb computer every now and then. And it only makes sense that as with any code developer, they cannot code for every situation and every moronic system user... Not saying anyone here is a moron, just saying that we all are different people, we have different experiences and we all drive our cars differently. There's not a single computer program in existence (including this BBS) for which we will all interface exactly the same way.

In the interim, I would suggest the 2 minute warm up when temps are below 60* as I've advocated all along... This appears to mitigate the RPM spike, very well.
ons,

this is not a software issue at all. Lexus has it's problems but one of them is not spending money to take apart transmissions and replace valve mechanisms that control fluid flow rate to solve a computer glitch. If you had an ES350 that was doing this and you recorded under the hood when it does it, you would hear a transmission in need of repair as though badly starved of fluid. Like any other car when it's transmission fluid is low, slips and makes the whale calling sound and gets quiet and behaves when you replenish it's fluid or top it off if slightly low.
Old 11-09-06, 10:05 AM
coolcow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twister

Twister,

I have both "problems" as you described. My car was in the shop twice but no problem was reported. I also found the small jerk in one of the loaner cars. So far I have to live with it...
Old 11-09-06, 11:35 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolcow
Twister,

I have both "problems" as you described. My car was in the shop twice but no problem was reported. I also found the small jerk in one of the loaner cars. So far I have to live with it...

Cool and twister,

I decided not to do anything about the transmission until Lexus anounces a new supplier for them as the TSIB seems to fail in many cases, new transmissions do too and second cars can have this happen.

They can still be driven with this so I will be waiting until there is a real, lasting solution to this, that and I don't want my car taken apart only to have it fail again.
Old 11-09-06, 12:46 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

ES350Bob, is it possible that you have super-sensitive hearing and sense of touch that many people dont have? Im being serious here, because I'm sure many people who actually HAVE the issues are not sensitive enough to notice them. Is it possible that this flare is on every single car, and only a portion of the population notices the problem? I mean if you got a brand new car/tranny and the problem arises, that's kinda like rolling 2x snake eyes in a roll at a craps table.
Old 11-09-06, 02:05 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm of the opinion to drive somewhat aggressively when the car is cold and if the transmission / engine blows up, then Lexus gets to tow you and replace the car.
Old 11-09-06, 02:19 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

ons,

The other indication this has nothing to do with software is that if it did the poll on here of those with this issue would be 103 out of 103 have a transmission "flare" issue. Or at least 100 out of 103, with 3 clueless they have it...LOL

Quick Reply: New tranny, new problems, or is this normal?