ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Consumer Reports Names Lexus ES 350 as Most Reliable

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-06, 06:46 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Bob, perhaps then, you should have waited to buy your ES's, until there was sufficient informaton on the forums, and used them for your pre-purchase research. It seems like a few posters have checked in here to dicuss concerns and problems prior to buying.
Since this experience has been the worst new car experience I have ever had I will check into these things from now on but up to this experience had only ever experienced a new car was very much like that you test drove not the polar opposite when you got the one you picked home.

And for me, I will never buy another new car unless I cold start it and drive it right away to check it's engine and unless I get it up to typical speeds and check it for excessive wind noise, both things I never knew a person would have to do to avoid problems that should not exist in the first place on a brand new car.
Old 11-11-06, 07:06 AM
Vandam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be following Bob's advice and that of other forum members next week. My ES is supposed to be in by Thursday or Friday. My dealer will be given strict instructions not to start or move the car before I come to inspect it. I am not taking any chances here. I seriously considered NOT buying this car, and asking for my deposit back. But, I have waited a very long time for this vehicle, and I didn't want to give in to paranoia before at least seeing it.

Wish me luck!
Old 11-11-06, 07:13 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vandam
I will be following Bob's advice and that of other forum members next week. My ES is supposed to be in by Thursday or Friday. My dealer will be given strict instructions not to start or move the car before I come to inspect it. I am not taking any chances here. I seriously considered NOT buying this car, and asking for my deposit back. But, I have waited a very long time for this vehicle, and I didn't want to give in to paranoia before at least seeing it.

Wish me luck!
Vandam.

I do wish you luck and I hope with all my heart you get a whisper quiet engine when you drive it cold and tolerable wind noise at speed to match the beauty of the car you picked and your youthful type of enthusiasm over it which I think is great, videotape the whole new car experience.

No matter what manufacturer it is, be it Lexus or MB or Infiniti or other, the new rule for me or anyone in my opinion is start that puppy ice cold and drive, check it for any issues and THEN allow yourself to get that deer in the headlights glazed over new car YAHOOOOO...LOL
Old 11-11-06, 08:35 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Since Consumer Reports (so far as I know) is not in the habit of publishing statistically (or scientifically) invalid reports on the products they investigate, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt here. This is their business, after all.

Nevertheless, the upcoming report that comes after their big annual survey will provide us with a fuller picture of what’s going on, which is what we’re talking about here. Our poll with 104 responses does not a thorough study make.
And I'd be willing to bet that, if the CR annual report (the one you're referring to) concludes the same thing (more or less) about the ES 350, many of the same folks who are questioning the ES 350's standing in that midterm report mentioned in the first post of this thread will probably question the ES 350's results in the annual report as well...
Old 11-11-06, 08:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by toneman
And I'd be willing to bet that, if the CR annual report (the one you're referring to) concludes the same thing (more or less) about the ES 350, many of the same folks who are questioning the ES 350's standing in that midterm report mentioned in the first post of this thread will probably question the ES 350's results in the annual report as well...
Probably a good bet...
Old 11-11-06, 09:23 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toneman
If you want to make a sure bet, bet that it could happen again that people fail to notice the fine print of prediction and think it's a real report on real cars by real owners of them...LOL
Old 11-11-06, 10:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
If you want to make a sure bet, bet that it could happen again that people fail to notice the fine print of prediction and think it's a real report on real cars by real owners of them...LOL
Bob, what would you suggest CR do? As you probably know, millions, yes millions of people, refer to their publications when researching a new car. I do, maybe you did too. I take everything with a grain of salt, and view each as merely one more piece of information that's out there. If CR were totally bogus, they wouldn't have been in business this long.
Old 11-11-06, 10:07 AM
LexFather

Well ladies and gents, again, I've been on here for over 5 years and I've seen the 1st year complaints by owners/buyers for multiple Lexus cars and trucks and it has never been bad enough to get Lexus off the CR or JD Power list.

That is why I think the problems are not as bad as they seem. If they were, there would be a Lexus that was not on that list by now.
Old 11-11-06, 10:20 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Bob, what would you suggest CR do? As you probably know, millions, yes millions of people, refer to their publications when researching a new car. I do, maybe you did too. I take everything with a grain of salt, and view each as merely one more piece of information that's out there. If CR were totally bogus, they wouldn't have been in business this long.

It isn't so much that CR did something wrong, it is or was that I initially and clearly others failed to notice the big disclaimer in Italics in the article and then again above the finding in each category that these are predictions based on prior years.

I don't think they should do this for any manufacturer in my opinion and certainly not new models unproven based on performance of prior years of other models.

What if the ES350 on the real survey of real owners polls out to be full of problems, is it fair to Lexus for CR next year to go psychic friends network and predict next year's reliability will be off too as though Lexus would not address that which caused it to poll badly? Same for all the other manufacturers?

Report on those that existed yeah but to pretend to be ready to set up psychic friends network is absurd and unfair to consumers who buy into it and certainly to manufacturers who pulled out all stops so that next year's model will be problem free of that which polled badly in prior.
Old 11-11-06, 10:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

It isn't so much that CR did something wrong, it is or was that I initially and clearly others failed to notice the big disclaimer in Italics in the article and then again above the finding in each category that these are predictions based on prior years.

I don't think they should do this for any manufacturer in my opinion and certainly not new models unproven based on performance of prior years of other models.

What if the ES350 on the real survey of real owners polls out to be full of problems, is it fair to Lexus for CR next year to go psychic friends network and predict next year's reliability will be off too as though Lexus would not address that which caused it to poll badly? Same for all the other manufacturers?

Report on those that existed yeah but to pretend to be ready to set up psychic friends network is absurd and unfair to consumers who buy into it and certainly to manufacturers who pulled out all stops so that next year's model will be problem free of that which polled badly in prior.
I guess I'm going to miss (as well as millions of other people) CR then, when they go out of business for these dastardly practices they've been perpetrating on me for all these years.
Old 11-11-06, 10:59 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

I guess I'm going to miss (as well as millions of other people) CR then, when they go out of business for these dastardly practices they've been perpetrating on me for all these years.

I won't trust them to accurately predict a car's reliability. Maybe they can haul in Madam Cleo to help them with the predictions next year....LOL, though she seems sharp and might have caught that 350 is not 330 or be aware she is "seeing" a new model release, after all she is a "psychic"...LOL.
Old 11-11-06, 11:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I won't trust them to accurately predict a car's reliability. Maybe they can haul in Madam Cleo to help them with the predictions next year....LOL, though she seems sharp and might have caught that 350 is not 330 or be aware she is "seeing" a new model release, after all she is a "psychic"...LOL.

With all due respect, I refer you to the above quote from an earlier post....
Old 11-11-06, 11:21 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

With all due respect, I refer you to the above quote from an earlier post....

It is not a midterm report, it is only a prediction based on prior years, it says so in the disclaimer in italics in the article and above each heading by category of vehicle type. A midterm report is of actual findings, not psychic predictions of what a vehicle may or may not do as to reliability.
Old 11-11-06, 01:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

It is not a midterm report, it is only a prediction based on prior years, it says so in the disclaimer in italics in the article and above each heading by category of vehicle type. A midterm report is of actual findings, not psychic predictions of what a vehicle may or may not do as to reliability.
Bob, I believe you conveniently missed the point of the quote.
Old 11-11-06, 01:33 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Well, just to balance Consumer Reports (who I actually have a web subscription for) here are some other links to what some "non enthusiast" customers think:
- Yahoo Cars
- MSN Autos

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Names Lexus ES 350 as Most Reliable