ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

HELP *me* make up my mind!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 12:37 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Does anyone know if the 6sp trans in the GS and IS is the same one that's in the ES? If there's any differences, that might help with your decision.
Can not tell you about the tranny, but one thing for sure: when you go to CL's GS forum, everybody there talks about modding their cars with bigger tires and lower springs. If you try to search for a problem, you might find something with '06 models like recalled seat belt latch. When I come "home" to ES350, all I read about is problems. Also, my latest contributions to this forum were only regarding "problems" as well

Regarding "strikes", technically I went through 2 failed tranny's, so its considered as 2 strikes. I have nothing against my dealership, they handled it very diligently. All the loaner swaps were done at my work place; I was in constant daily contact with service manager; I never heard a BS regarding the problem, they were always upfront with me and treated me with high respect.

Regarding '07 G35, I really hope it wont come down to that. But, I actually appreciate everybody's suggestions about it. I will keep it in a back of my mind, even so my mind is leaning more toward GS350 now. I even convinced my wife already, to avoid any domestic violence my "bizarro bro" Kaius had to go through

Regarding "sence of humor". I was a real wise cracker on this forum back in July/August, and busted a few ***** until I realized only a few people appreciate it. Than, I became an old prune talking about the problems, and it all went downhill from there... Oh, the flare happens between 3rd and 4th, and since it never downshifts after it, it should be in 4th. One thing was cool when I drove IS250 loaner, it actually tells you which gear you are in I wonder if GS does the same?

Last edited by twister; 11-16-06 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-15-06, 12:47 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Twister,

Unless I'm confusing you with any of quite a few others with this trans defect which is possible, seems you took it in once for trans and they claimed they could not duplicate and sent you away, that counts as 1 of 3 strikes under Lemon Law, each time you took it there for that purpose counts as 1 even a first time where you were sent away.
Old 11-15-06, 01:55 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Bob, you are definitely cornfusing me!!! My dealership was able to duplicate it from the first time in both cases I took my car in.
Old 11-15-06, 01:59 PM
terryes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twister,

Trust me you do have a sense of humor. But the overdiding question is, does the flare between 3rd and 4th really end up in 4th. Or, is the ECU making the tranny over reach into 5th, because of the HIGH idle cold start, causing the anomoly. Hopefully ONS will answer that question after looking at the tranny service manual.
Old 11-15-06, 02:06 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
Bob, you are definitely cornfusing me!!! My dealership was able to duplicate it from the first time in both cases I took my car in.
No problem, good luck in the resolution no matter what you decide.
Old 11-15-06, 04:01 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I even convinced my wife already, to avoid any domestic violence my "bizarro bro" Kaius had to go through
Ya know, my wife was reading some reviews prior to us buying my ES350 the 1st time. When I traded it in at a loss, she told me "if you wait a few months maybe the tranny problem would force them to give you a new car with a new color and new options!". I guess we'll never know....hahahah

Bizzaro bro, you are in a position to deal and get another car. I sense you totally leaning towards the GS350. It's nice in every way.... I think if you can get a good deal on it, get it. Since you'll be driving it alone most of the time, you want the rush...the excitement. It can still accomodate your family, tho with less space, it is still acceptable. Stick with a Lexus... I was leaning for Infinity G35 before....but i think Lexus beats them all in the end.
Old 11-15-06, 04:20 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I totally dislike last year Infiniti G35 AWD (design, handling, etc.), but I'm not sure how they changed it for '07. Just in case if I will get an option to get my money back (who knows?), I want to make sure that I look into every opportunity because I will not have to much time to make a final decision.

GS350 has less trunk space and it feels like a little less interior, but it would be adequate for a family with one toddler, and who knows, maybe another one in a near future. From the experience with my dealership (Ray Catena) in the last couple of weeks, I can not imagine Infiniti will come even close.
Old 11-15-06, 05:20 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Twister - Wow, what a decision to make. I don't envy you as this is tough. On the one hand I love my ES350 (as I've said so many times), but engineering wise it's got some real issues. I'm going to PM you on this as I'm not prepared to post here openly (yet) on this subject as I'm in a very similar situation myself right now.
Old 11-15-06, 05:21 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I totally dislike last year Infiniti G35 AWD (design, handling, etc.), but I'm not sure how they changed it for '07. Just in case if I will get an option to get my money back (who knows?), I want to make sure that I look into every opportunity because I will not have to much time to make a final decision.

GS350 has less trunk space and it feels like a little less interior, but it would be adequate for a family with one toddler, and who knows, maybe another one in a near future. From the experience with my dealership (Ray Catena) in the last couple of weeks, I can not imagine Infiniti will come even close.
The G35 07 sedan this year looks a lot like the 06 G35 coupe. They've done a big redesign on it, boosted HP and completely redone the interior. It's a very different car to before apparently - new seats, etc, as well. You should check out infiniti.com for some pics, etc.
Old 11-15-06, 05:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
The G35 07 sedan this year looks a lot like the 06 G35 coupe. They've done a big redesign on it, boosted HP and completely redone the interior. It's a very different car to before apparently - new seats, etc, as well. You should check out infiniti.com for some pics, etc.
While out running some errands today I drove by an Infiniti dealer and pulled in to look at the new G35. To me it looks like a slightly scaled down M35/45. Not bad at all. Better, IMO, than last years model. From what I've read, the redone interior is a BIG improvement over the previous model. It looked good peering in the window. I don't know how Infiniti's cust. svc. compares to Lexus, but it's probably pretty good. Good luck on your decision.
Old 11-15-06, 05:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Does anyone know if the 6sp trans in the GS and IS is the same one that's in the ES? If there's any differences, that might help with your decision.
GS & IS = Rear Wheel Drive
ES = Front Wheel Drive

Answer= no, not the same. There were some issues with the updated LS430 in 2004 when it first came out with the 6-speed, but only that year.
Old 11-16-06, 09:28 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Haven't heard from my dealership about all the final numbers yet (my options are: new ES350; a special deal on GS350AWD; or all money back), BUT I dediced to take an opportunity to visit Infiniti dealership this morning and test drove AWD models '07 G35x and '07 M35x. Let me tell you one thing, DO NOT BELIEVE the hype of what you hear from others or what you read or see on websites. The only true judgement is to test drive it yourself. Here, they only have RWD (not good for East Coast weather) and AWD. Last year's G35 was more on the same level as ES and TL, this year they completely redesigned it (new tranny ) as a performance car to compete with IS350AWD. Its a nice looking car and completely redesigned inside, softer material, better leather, even Compact Flash card to play music from the stereo. BUT, I was not impressed with handling. Steering is way too tight (just like a german car), acceleration is not smooth, a typical sports car behavior, and car feels light. Also, not as much inside room, at least as a family car, some road noise, etc. I was impressed with a design details, but not the handling. M35x is a friggin' tank, too heavy, very slooooow acceleration, doesn't come close to GS350 class at all. Anyway, I glad I test drove these to have more piece of mind when faced with making a final decision. Of course, this is just my personal opinion regarding G35 aand M35.
Old 11-16-06, 10:04 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Thanks for that Infiniti review. Interesting review from the coming-from-a-Lexus perspective. I can see why you'd be concerned with that car having a new trans. There isn't a clear direction you can go in when heading away from an ES. This car doesn't really have a competitor in the luxury area anymore. Maybe the new S80, but that's got a new trans as well, and from initial reviews I've read there are trans hesitation issues as well.
Old 11-16-06, 11:29 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Twister, I only drove the G35 S, all they had PDI'd, so have no idea about regular G35 sedan.

It must be a matter of personal taste. I loved the steering response and the direct throttle over our own by wire throttle, the brakes, the pickup, the trans shifting and did I say the brakes, yeah..and of course that it was cold started and had NO diesel engine noise and no wind noise either and the acceleration pickup is awesome.

Did not like tire on road noise surface depending or growl of engine noise but the sport I drove is not supposed to be as quiet as the sedan supposedly is, don't if if true or not as they did not have a non-sport sedan PDI'd. Yes, less room, back area.

The IS guys/gals seem to really like the G35 S but someone used to an ES350 would possibly not as you do not.

I can think of worse vehicles to be stuck in for sure...LOL
Old 11-18-06, 05:32 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I originally started this thread because I had a heck of a time making that decision. Just as an update, I decided to go with GS350 AWD. I supposed to get the new car on Monday, when I also get a chance to say good bye to my TP ES350 The way how it works, Corporate Lexus buys back the car (supposed to be everything to a penny that I paid), and I automatically roll over that amount into a purchase of '07 GS350. For everything I went through, they did work out a great deal (actually below invoice for this new '07 model, which I get without NAV or ML, plus they gave me a hard-to-turn-down deal on Sirius satellite). I had such a great experience with both service and sales sides of my dealership that I decided to keep my business with them and continue with another Lexus model. Don't want to repeat myself from previous posts, ya all know the problem I went through. I still promise to visit this ES section of CL and keep reading and posting. I also really hope when '08 ES350 going to roll in, there will be 0 post with complains, unless ES350Bob's twin brother going to buy that car

I also wanted to clear a few points previously brought up in other thread about GS and ES. This is based on my experience of driving my non-UL ES350 for over 3 month and GS350 for 2.5 days (fully loaded with every feature under the moon). My PP+ ES350 had softer leather seats than premium GS350. That was the first thing I felt right away. I took a "full advantage" of having that GS loaner/demo, so I examined it very closely Of course, ES is quieter inside than GS, and its expected due to "ES" luxury vs "GS" performance luxury nature. Trunk space in GS is smaller, but the trunk lid closes automatically (probably borrowed from LS?). Interior room is smaller due to AWD/RWD drivetrain taking some floor space. Also, AFS is optional on GS and don't work the same way as in ES, and therefore I didn't even choose that option for mine. BUT, the acceleration of 306 hp engine (tuned the same as in IS350), and the handling due to a sport suspension both contribute to a hair raising experience that makes up for all those missing details. I also liked how non-NAV audio system still comes with a same touch screen display for all other than NAV controls. In general, its a completely different car, so probably should not be compared to ES. Both cars are designed for a different kind of audience. I'm also happy they added a sharkfin antenna (the same as new LS460), which makes hatchback appearance of GS a little less obvious Sorry, didn't mean to take this thread into a different direction, but these above points where some of the deciding factors for me in choosing that car.

Quick Reply: HELP *me* make up my mind!!!