ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My ES vs Loaner car ES

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-06, 06:04 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My ES vs Loaner car ES

I took my 5/06 build ES350 loaner car out this morning after being parked all night. I did not even try to do it, and YES the tranny flared. My car never did this. So, I don't think it is driving habit. If you have, you know it!!

As to wind noise, this loaner also has a lot more wind noise than mine. Don't know if the UL roof makes mine seem more quiet. But, I did notice the increased noise on my loaner.

Cold start knock is the same on my car and the loaner. Same symptoms.

Also, transmission whine is the same on both cars.

I also notice the difference in leather on the PP and the UL package. The UL leather is a softer leather.

Lastley, I think my loaner also has the rattle on the rear deck behind the rear seat. I know these loaners get beaten up, but I can hear that rattle back there when I go over bumps.
Old 11-16-06, 06:14 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
I took my 5/06 build ES350 loaner car out this morning after being parked all night. I did not even try to do it, and YES the tranny flared. My car never did this. So, I don't think it is driving habit. If you have, you know it!!

As to wind noise, this loaner also has a lot more wind noise than mine. Don't know if the UL roof makes mine seem more quiet. But, I did notice the increased noise on my loaner.

Cold start knock is the same on my car and the loaner. Same symptoms.

Also, transmission whine is the same on both cars.

I also notice the difference in leather on the PP and the UL package. The UL leather is a softer leather.

Lastley, I think my loaner also has the rattle on the rear deck behind the rear seat. I know these loaners get beaten up, but I can hear that rattle back there when I go over bumps.
MD,

I have always posted that if a person has a car with the flare, they would KNOW it and it would not matter whether they had ever read about it or heard about it from someone else, they would KNOW and post on it happening to them.

Wind noise varies on non-UL glass roof cars, never have driven the UL. Same as trans flare, depending on degree present, you'd KNOW it if you car had it as an issue apporaching serious nuisance level.

Diesel engine knock tap varies also, seems you got two very similar. They really can go from cannery works to sewing machine level to the rarest of the rare, none. Again with this at louder versions, you KNOW it and it would not matter whether you read or heard it before experiencing it yourself.

I hope you still have loaner and if so check out it's door alignment by looking at chrome strip across bottom of windows, I'm guessing that either or both the driver and passenger doors do not align as they should. Even just one way off allows more wind noise, exterior noise intrusion in my experiences. See subject titled ....window issues... and note one pic of sig misalignment that looks like a stair step.
Old 11-16-06, 06:33 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

BTW: That back area rattle I ignored and discounted on my former car to point of viewing it as a non-issue until I described it to NGG and he let me know that's the sound his made that ended up with his former car taken apart for missing welds or fasteners or both. I could not believe my stupidity in not taking that type of thing seriously until after his acknowledgement..LOL
Old 11-16-06, 06:43 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, there is a rear rattle in some examples that is caused by the tire pressure monitor antenna, which is mounted in the headliner right near the rear window. I had this fixed on mine and am satisfied.
Old 11-16-06, 06:46 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
MD,

I have always posted that if a person has a car with the flare, they would KNOW it and it would not matter whether they had ever read about it or heard about it from someone else, they would KNOW and post on it happening to them.

Wind noise varies on non-UL glass roof cars, never have driven the UL. Same as trans flare, depending on degree present, you'd KNOW it if you car had it as an issue apporaching serious nuisance level.

Diesel engine knock tap varies also, seems you got two very similar. They really can go from cannery works to sewing machine level to the rarest of the rare, none. Again with this at louder versions, you KNOW it and it would not matter whether you read or heard it before experiencing it yourself.

I hope you still have loaner and if so check out it's door alignment by looking at chrome strip across bottom of windows, I'm guessing that either or both the driver and passenger doors do not align as they should. Even just one way off allows more wind noise, exterior noise intrusion in my experiences. See subject titled ....window issues... and note one pic of sig misalignment that looks like a stair step.
Yes, it is misaligned
Old 11-16-06, 06:48 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
FYI, there is a rear rattle in some examples that is caused by the tire pressure monitor antenna, which is mounted in the headliner right near the rear window. I had this fixed on mine and am satisfied.

Thanks paj I am aware of that though some might not have been and also plastic clips mentioned on IS forum.

This is not limited to that though as the entire back glass/metal shelf it is glued to lightly rattles when going on uneven roads, bumps etc.. It sounds like a glass metal combo.
Old 11-16-06, 11:18 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

OK, I keep seeing this mentioned and it's what this thread is about - differences in ES350's. I've driven 4, and all were different to a degree or another, like I've said before. I've driven a lot of higher end rental vehicles, and 9 time out of 10 all those cars drive almost the same with the same characteristics. You'd expect the same car with the same engine\trans\body to behave almost identically. I see and hear differences in engine noise\trans issues and behaviour\wind noise\vibration and rattles on the ES. I'd think these differences might be OK in a $10,000 KIA vehicle.

So I'll ask this question for those that have driven multiple cars...

Do you think its OK that each ES350 has differences in the driving experience?

My answer is NO. It should be relatively the same!
Old 11-16-06, 11:35 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99
OK, I keep seeing this mentioned and it's what this thread is about - differences in ES350's. I've driven 4, and all were different to a degree or another, like I've said before. I've driven a lot of higher end rental vehicles, and 9 time out of 10 all those cars drive almost the same with the same characteristics. You'd expect the same car with the same engine\trans\body to behave almost identically. I see and hear differences in engine noise\trans issues and behaviour\wind noise\vibration and rattles on the ES. I'd think these differences might be OK in a $10,000 KIA vehicle.

So I'll ask this question for those that have driven multiple cars...

Do you think its OK that each ES350 has differences in the driving experience?

My answer is NO. It should be relatively the same!

My answer is HECK NO, it is NOT OK they are all over the map and worse it is NOT OK for customers to be told each version represents the ES350 because you want to save money and not make repairs.
Old 11-16-06, 11:40 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MD350
Yes, it is misaligned

Thanks MD, thought so.

Door alignment plays a role in wind and other sound intrusion from my own non-scientific observations.

Thank you Lexus/Toyota employee who works the assembly line and gets doors dead on and I hope you get a well deserved raise.