ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Man, I'm tired of worrying that the wheels are going to fall off my car!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-06, 04:56 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
Bob, you are killing me man! Finally we see someone post something good about our cars and you have FIVE ramblings of basically negative comments in here. DUDE...get a life!!

Thanks Gumball for the nice thread...as tougue in cheek as it may be.

BTW, I'm with you on the above as I have NO issues with my car except the tranny. But I've only experienced the 'flare' a hand full of times. And I can't recreate it, but then again, I don't think it's wise to push the car when it's dead cold. As far as I am concerned, it's a non issue at this point, and I am closing in on 5K miles. And my tranny continues to improve in its smoothness.

Thanks but I have a nice life already just as it is.
Old 11-16-06, 04:59 PM
Gumball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I have noticed people attempting to call one with this diesel knocking tapping who objects to having it present in their vehicle, a complainer.

Maybe you and LexBob can address that in the future as not only do I believe you have a car absent it, I myself know they exist from having driven one which was a sales demonstrator at the dealer and completely absent any knocking/tapping started stone cold. Maybe you can both attest to it not being normal to have it regardless of explanation given in attempt to justify it being present and making it supposedly OK to have it in an ES350.
There is a differece between complaining and whining. I think the interests of those consulting this forum would be best served if posts would be labeled 'pro' to hear something good about our car and 'con' to warn us about the tirade to follow. It seems that those of us who like our cars are labeled as the minority. The misfits.

Just a tought and Amen for me on this post.
Old 11-16-06, 05:11 PM
theredkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gumball
There is a differece between complaining and whining. I think the interests of those consulting this forum would be best served if posts would be labeled 'pro' to hear something good about our car and 'con' to warn us about the tirade to follow. It seems that those of us who like our cars are labeled as the minority. The misfits.

Gumball.. can't agree more. Those of us who like our cars maybe minority in posting in this forum.. but certainly not on the road.
Old 11-16-06, 05:19 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gumball

I see your point as I posted above.

I hope you will consider that it is because a car should operate as your's does that people post on here when they do not, the fact that your car is absent all the things present for others is proof their complaint is valid and their goal is to have their's operate as your's does and LexBob's does, and some others on here.

In my case, I don't view your car as the minority, it is the way they are supposed to be and should operate without excuses when they do not, and not as though it is a misfit when it does operate properly.
Old 11-16-06, 06:42 PM
Sardian
Driver School Candidate

I finally had to stop reading most of the problem post here. Instead of enjoying my new car I found myself constantly looking for problems, of which I haven't found any.

I finally quit looking for problems, put on a couple coats of wax, a good detail job, and have been driving it as often as I get the chance.

If it has any problems I'm sure they will show themselves without my constant attention within the warranty period.

I can say that I am a very happy ES350 owner (my first Lexus) and already have my eye on another Lexus SUV for my wife.

RLF
Old 11-16-06, 06:49 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also put myself in that class. I love my ES 350, it is the best car I have owned. I am also very happy with my first service experiance. The dealer treated me like a king.

I, too, will look at a Lexus SUV for the wife and kids once the Sienna shows her age.
Old 11-16-06, 06:57 PM
theredkid
Driver School Candidate

me too...enjoying my ES350 a lot despite ES350Bob trying to convince me the knocking sound at cold start and the transmission flares at two occasions are mechanical problem.. LOL
I just had my dealer put on a teflon wax for my ES350... and replace the carpet with all weather mat to prepare for the hostile winter weather.
Old 11-16-06, 07:02 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I bought the all weather mats a month ago, and I get so many compliments when others ride in the car. May keep them in all year long.

As to the knock and the whine, I am sure that if anything develops later during my ownership, Lexus will cover it under warranty, even after 50K miles.
Old 11-16-06, 07:13 PM
theredkid
Driver School Candidate

I like the look of all-weather mat too. I have the light gray interior and the gray weather mat looks great inside and it will probably stay in all year long.

Given the experience of several ids here who went through the transmission replacement and even whole car replacement with their dealers, I am more confident that Lexus will take care the problems if issues arise. It is all about the trust between you and the dealer.
Old 11-16-06, 07:39 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

This forum represents a very tiny cross section of all the ES350 owners. True, its a nice change to see people praising their cars. It has been very depressing with all the negative posts, including a number from me. But, its not an isolated problem, more and more people coming to their dealership with these tranny issues. When my first original tranny was discovered with that problem, it was the first car at my dealership and only 1 Lexus engineer from West Coast flew over. When it was replaced, and than problem was found with a brand new tranny, they had 3 engineers flying over to also look at a couple of other cars at our dealership with the same problem. The verdict for my car was - another defective tranny (and that was brand new tranny). They recommended not to replace it again, and Lexus is buying back my car. Its a fact, not a whinning or me making up a problem. I'm very happy to hear a number of people in here enjoying their cars and have a trouble free machine (according to their own definition of trouble-free). I was not that lucky, and as a result lost my faith in ES350. Maybe next year they will clean up their act and have 100% problem free build. Until than, I still continue with a Lexus family, just will go with a 2nd year proven design of 3rd gen GS. Who knows, maybe in a year or two I will get tired of a sporty ride and will trade in for '08 or '09 ES350 or ES450h
Old 11-16-06, 07:46 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
This forum represents a very tiny cross section of all the ES350 owners. True, its a nice change to see people praising their cars. It has been very depressing with all the negative posts, including a number from me. But, its not an isolated problem, more and more people coming to their dealership with these tranny issues. When my first original tranny was discovered with that problem, it was the first car at my dealership and only 1 Lexus engineer from West Coast flew over. When it was replaced, and than problem was found with a brand new tranny, they had 3 engineers flying over to also look at a couple of other cars at our dealership with the same problem. The verdict for my car was - another defective tranny (and that was brand new tranny). They recommended not to replace it again, and Lexus is buying back my car. Its a fact, not a whinning or me making up a problem. I'm very happy to hear a number of people in here enjoying their cars and have a trouble free machine (according to their own definition of trouble-free). I was not that lucky, and as a result lost my faith in ES350. Maybe next year they will clean up their act and have 100% problem free build. Until than, I still continue with a Lexus family, just will go with a 2nd year proven design of 3rd gen GS. Who knows, maybe in a year or two I will get tired of a sporty ride and will trade in for '08 or '09 ES350 or ES450h
Congrats on the resolution, hope you are very happy with the new one.
Old 11-16-06, 07:54 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I don't have a "new one" yet. Resolution will be finalized tomorrow when I finish the price negotiation for the new GS. I feel like I deserve a price below invoice
Old 11-16-06, 08:01 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
I don't have a "new one" yet. Resolution will be finalized tomorrow when I finish the price negotiation for the new GS. I feel like I deserve a price below invoice

I think so too, after all there is markup beyond the manufacturing costs, some of which can be swung your way in a "perfect" resolution way of thinking.
Old 11-17-06, 07:38 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I will say this, I did experience the transmission flare on my loaner car 2 days ago. I would be upset if my car had this issue and there was not current fix for it.

If you go for the GS, enjoy it!! It is a beautiful car. Please give us your feedback after you drive it for a while.
Old 11-17-06, 06:59 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MD350
I will say this, I did experience the transmission flare on my loaner car 2 days ago. I would be upset if my car had this issue and there was not current fix for it.

If you go for the GS, enjoy it!! It is a beautiful car. Please give us your feedback after you drive it for a while.
You're the first person to report on this from the perspective of someone who has a normally behaving trans. I don't think anyone else has experienced what you have going from a good car to the loaner. Thanks for posting that info, and for stating that you'd be upset if this happened on your car. I'm always interested in hearing new experiences from people when driving different ES's.

Last edited by wanderer99; 11-17-06 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Man, I'm tired of worrying that the wheels are going to fall off my car!