ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

XM Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 05:59 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine looks the same as the picture. Seems the Lexus dealers do a clean job. Some aftermarket companies may be a little messy?
Old 12-01-06, 10:19 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1seeker1
Thanks for the picture. The picture gives everyone a good idea of what the antenna looks like. They did a better job on yours than the one I saw (off to the side on the trunk). I agree painting it would even make it look better. Better yet, IMO, is the suggestion of attaching it to the back window.
Satellite antenna has to be placed in open on a metal surface for a better reception. Otherwise, none of the installation places will guarantee their work and will charge you extra money to relocate the antenna later

Nyardich and MD350, even so you have ES vs me going to install Sirius on GS, can you tell me how did they snake the cable under the trunk? My installation place told me that its not a good idea to put antenna in that place on the trunk because every time you open the trunk a cable will be flexed. They want to install my on the rear right fender next to the trunk opening. I personally like the symmetric look in the middle at the end of the trunk where you have it, but have concerns regarding the cable flexing
Old 12-01-06, 06:06 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
Satellite antenna has to be placed in open on a metal surface for a better reception. Otherwise, none of the installation places will guarantee their work and will charge you extra money to relocate the antenna later

Nyardich and MD350, even so you have ES vs me going to install Sirius on GS, can you tell me how did they snake the cable under the trunk? My installation place told me that its not a good idea to put antenna in that place on the trunk because every time you open the trunk a cable will be flexed. They want to install my on the rear right fender next to the trunk opening. I personally like the symmetric look in the middle at the end of the trunk where you have it, but have concerns regarding the cable flexing
Funny you mention the right fender, because my Lexus dealer told me that is where they place the antenna if it is installed at the Port (Newark, NJ for me). At the dealer, they will put it anywhere I wanted it.

As to the installation on the truck at the 3rd brake light, there is a wire that loops around under the trunk, and the wire is tucked under the trunk insulation. Between the insulation and the end of the trunk (on the inside), there is some kind of strip that covers the wire to avoid flexing. It holds it in place and does not allow it to flex.

I just went out and opened/closed the trunk a couple times and the wire did not move...so there is no flexing. There is a little slack between the strip and the insulation. But, it is tight between the antenna and the strip.

I guess it depends on the installer. But, it can be placed in the center and be done correctly. I wish I could post a picture of the inside of the trunk, but I am a little challenged in that area.
Old 12-01-06, 09:12 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

MD350,

Would you be so kind to take a picture of the antenna with a trunk closed, and a few others when trunk is open (from the side of a car and from the side of an open trunk)? I would like to print those shots and show it to the installer shop. Even low quality shots would be greately appreciated as a visual guide!!!

The problem in my case is that I would like to have a Sirius integrated with my audio system so I can control it from a touch screen. If I do it myself or go to any shop, it will void the warranty since I have to play around with wires. My dealership only does XM installation which is easy for them since GS's sharkfin antenna has XM integrated in it. For Sirius they have a contractor shop, and I just bring the car to my dealership, get a loaner while they work on it, and than get a full warranty from my dealership on it. Its hard to beat, except the guy who does installation is a jerk but he knows that I have no choice but to go with this shop. He actually called me being **** for asking him about where he is planning to put an antenna!?! Anyway, I'm also will be getting a remote start from them as well. Apparently it is possible to have a remote start with a push button start, just will get another remote with a close/open/start to use separately from our own fob.

Hardwiring x50 radar detector and cutting speed-sensor wire to enable bluetooth, mp3 folder and radio station msg viewing while driving is another mod which I'm planning to do on my own later
Old 12-02-06, 07:59 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

MD350,

Would you be so kind to take a picture of the antenna with a trunk closed, and a few others when trunk is open (from the side of a car and from the side of an open trunk)? I would like to print those shots and show it to the installer shop. Even low quality shots would be greately appreciated as a visual guide!!!

The problem in my case is that I would like to have a Sirius integrated with my audio system so I can control it from a touch screen. If I do it myself or go to any shop, it will void the warranty since I have to play around with wires. My dealership only does XM installation which is easy for them since GS's sharkfin antenna has XM integrated in it. For Sirius they have a contractor shop, and I just bring the car to my dealership, get a loaner while they work on it, and than get a full warranty from my dealership on it. Its hard to beat, except the guy who does installation is a jerk but he knows that I have no choice but to go with this shop. He actually called me being **** for asking him about where he is planning to put an antenna!?! Anyway, I'm also will be getting a remote start from them as well. Apparently it is possible to have a remote start with a push button start, just will get another remote with a close/open/start to use separately from our own fob.

Hardwiring x50 radar detector and cutting speed-sensor wire to enable bluetooth, mp3 folder and radio station msg viewing while driving is another mod which I'm planning to do on my own later
Lets see if this works
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio Question-100_1063.jpg  
Old 12-02-06, 08:02 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the inside of the trunk.

Pardon the dirty car, had some rain yesterday
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio Question-100_1064.jpg  
Old 12-02-06, 09:12 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Great pics!!! Just a quesiton, what am I looking at in the second one? Is this with a trunk open and you taking picture from inside? What is that plastic thing, to hold antenna in place or something? I assume the cable will wrap around and than antenna "bug" is around on the other side. Right? Thanks!!!
Old 12-02-06, 05:26 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Great pics!!! Just a quesiton, what am I looking at in the second one? Is this with a trunk open and you taking picture from inside? What is that plastic thing, to hold antenna in place or something? I assume the cable will wrap around and than antenna "bug" is around on the other side. Right? Thanks!!!
In the 2nd pic, I am standing at the back of the car and the trunk is fully open. That is the area between the lip of the back of the trunk (bottom of pic where wire wraps around to area at the 3rd brake light) and the insulation.

That plastic "bug" is what holds the wire in place and does not allow for it to flex. I went to go look at it again, and it is NOT wrapped around it from the outside. There is a hole on both sides and the wire goes through it. Don't know what is inside it that does not allow the wire to flex, but it works. It might be wrapped around on the inside. I don't want to take it apart, it may not stick back together again.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by MD350; 12-02-06 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-03-06, 10:03 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, it definitely helps. Thanks!

I have been examining my trunk and I'm affraid in GS it will not be possible. You can absolutely place the antenna like you did and use that wire holder to keep it in place, but than it has to get somewhere from a trunk lid into the trunk and in a car. The only place where trunk lid connects to the car is hinges. THAT is the place where a cable going to be flexed everytime you open a trunk and with antenna going around hinges. Is that where you have it? When you place this antenna-bug on a side fender, antenna wire just will come out from the trunk around the fender. On a trunk lid it has to hang in the air. I'm sorry to keep bugging you with this, but can you trace in your car how antenna wire gets into the trunk from a trunk lid?

In GS trunk hinges a very different (its a self-closing trunk like in LS, I think) and when opened there is a bigger gap between trunk lid and trunk opening...
Old 12-03-06, 12:23 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, it definitely helps. Thanks!

I have been examining my trunk and I'm affraid in GS it will not be possible. You can absolutely place the antenna like you did and use that wire holder to keep it in place, but than it has to get somewhere from a trunk lid into the trunk and in a car. The only place where trunk lid connects to the car is hinges. THAT is the place where a cable going to be flexed everytime you open a trunk and with antenna going around hinges. Is that where you have it? When you place this antenna-bug on a side fender, antenna wire just will come out from the trunk around the fender. On a trunk lid it has to hang in the air. I'm sorry to keep bugging you with this, but can you trace in your car how antenna wire gets into the trunk from a trunk lid?

In GS trunk hinges a very different (its a self-closing trunk like in LS, I think) and when opened there is a bigger gap between trunk lid and trunk opening...
The wire goes under the insulation to the right trunk hinge. The hinge seems to be covered with a plastic cover and the wire is inside the cover. I don't think it is being flexed when it opens and closes. I don't see the wire move at all from the areas in the picture above.

My opinion, if you are not happy with the installer, go to another Lexus dealer and have the work done there.
Old 12-03-06, 12:48 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

MD, thanks for all this info!!! So, definitely with GS the only external choice is on the fender. Hinges are mechanical on the side, and the electrical connection is through a ribbon cable.
Old 12-03-06, 03:34 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

MD, thanks for all this info!!! So, definitely with GS the only external choice is on the fender. Hinges are mechanical on the side, and the electrical connection is through a ribbon cable.
Anytime! Hope the GS is being good to you!
Old 12-05-06, 07:10 AM
Alien
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you place the antenna inside on the rear deck next to the backup light? Cable runs up from the trunk, bypassing the hinges altogether. Better yet, it's in the car where someone can't mess with it. Location works with no problem with reception. GM at dealership I bought the 350 from even did it on his. Alien.
Old 12-05-06, 09:04 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

That is a problem, most of the places as of "now" refuse installation of Sirius antenna inside and literally make you sign a waiver that you will not complain about reception if its installed outside. In my case, I was told it can be installed inside but if reception is not good, I will have to pay money to relocate it. If I go to outside of "Lexus" approved installer or do it myself with an internal module to control Sirius from factory touch screen, the warranty is voided.
Old 12-08-06, 11:11 AM
bmil128
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at ES 350 in next few months, in my 4Runner I have a portable XM unit I installed myself. If I get the car w/o nav is the XM built in to the tuner or do I have to use an aftermarket receiver as I have now? If it is an aftermarket receiver, does the dealer do a pretty clean install?

Quick Reply: XM Radio Question