ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

XM Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 01:55 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmil128
Looking at ES 350 in next few months, in my 4Runner I have a portable XM unit I installed myself. If I get the car w/o nav is the XM built in to the tuner or do I have to use an aftermarket receiver as I have now? If it is an aftermarket receiver, does the dealer do a pretty clean install?
The XM unit is aftermarket, but it plugs cleanly into the AUX port in the receiver in the car. The Lexus dealer I used did a very clean job.
Old 12-08-06, 05:47 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a dealer installed Sirius unit. Here is where they put the antenna. I tried on the inside of the car and the results were less than satisfactory. Maybe because I am on the West Coast and not really centered in the footprint.

The putty colored stuff around the base is no longer noticable.

I have experience with both XM and Sirius. Both are acceptable but I prefer Sirius. Between Standard Broadcast, FM, CD's/DVD's, Sirius and the VaisTech for my 30 gig iPod I have a pretty good selection of entertainment options through the ML.
Old 12-08-06, 06:00 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psp
I have a dealer installed Sirius unit. Here is where they put the antenna. I tried on the inside of the car and the results were less than satisfactory. Maybe because I am on the West Coast and not really centered in the footprint.
Care to elaborate more on "not really centered"? I have to make my final decision early next week where antenna will be placed. I know a lot of people here on East Coast that have their antenna inside under the rear window and reception is no different than with antenna outside. You still get drops going under trees or tunnels/bridges. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Do we have more "advantages" on East Coast of inside antenna placement?
Old 01-02-07, 05:29 AM
Formap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took delivery on my new ES 350 with XM radio. There is no antenna that I can locate. Either the dealer installed an interior mouse antenna or Lexus built in an XM antenna into the car.

Anyway, no outside antenna and reception is great!
Old 01-02-07, 10:06 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

There gotta be antenna somewhere. Look on the rear deck next or around the break light. Or maybe upfront on top of the dashboard or next to the rear view mirror? New XM/Sirius antennas are very small, approx 1"x1". Another place that some getting it installed is outside on the rear window in the lower right corner, glued right on the window.

I just wish Sirius will do something about the quality of their signal. They went from something like 500k subscribers over a year ago to 7 mil right now (thanks Howard ). And, they use a smaller frequency band and have NO repeaters. While with XM you get both satellite and terrestrial antenna coverage and can have unit anywhere inside of the car. After trying a few places, I had to put my Sirius antenna outside to get a good reception. Here is my "sexy back" (antenna is on the right side, top of the fender):

Old 01-02-07, 04:00 PM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by twister
There gotta be antenna somewhere. Look on the rear deck next or around the break light. Or maybe upfront on top of the dashboard or next to the rear view mirror? New XM/Sirius antennas are very small, approx 1"x1". Another place that some getting it installed is outside on the rear window in the lower right corner, glued right on the window.

I just wish Sirius will do something about the quality of their signal. They went from something like 500k subscribers over a year ago to 7 mil right now (thanks Howard ). And, they use a smaller frequency band and have NO repeaters. While with XM you get both satellite and terrestrial antenna coverage and can have unit anywhere inside of the car. After trying a few places, I had to put my Sirius antenna outside to get a good reception. Here is my "sexy back" (antenna is on the right side, top of the fender):

My salesman said they would be mounting my antenna like yours in this picture above. I am trying to decide if I should let them mount it there, or if I should tell them to put it in the center of the trunk, which is where I had it on my wife's old car.

Which place do you think looks better?
Old 01-02-07, 05:46 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

On GS this is not even a choice. My GS has a scissor self-closing mechanism on a side and a ribbon-wire retracting cable. Because of that, you don't have any clean way to trace a cable from the inside of the car, through the trunk, on to a trunk lid. With ES350 you trace the antenna cable along the side of your electrical wires that go from a trunk to a lid.

In my opinion, if you have a dark color car it looks better in the middle of the trunk like in Peter's picture above. With a light color I think it will look better on the side. Either way, its not a permanent mounting. They use a special double sided conductive 3M tape which can be removed and placed in a different location. This is one of those options you can change your mind about later
Old 01-02-07, 06:07 PM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by twister
In my opinion, if you have a dark color car it looks better in the middle of the trunk like in Peter's picture above. With a light color I think it will look better on the side. Either way, its not a permanent mounting. They use a special double sided conductive 3M tape which can be removed and placed in a different location. This is one of those options you can change your mind about later
Ok, the movable aspect sounds good. Mine is Ruby Red, would you say that is better centered?
Old 01-02-07, 08:04 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On the website www.lincolnvscadillac.com, some of the Lincoln LS owners had their Sirius antennas painted to match the color of their car. I remember a posting where the owner had his roof mounted Sirius antenna painted white to match his LS. Blended right in / looked good. Mine is still standard black but it tells the world I have Sirius (Howard Stern, Fox News and all the oldies type stations I can take).