ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

XM Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06, 10:24 AM
1seeker1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio Question

When I was looking at the ES 350 the other day, I noticed one with a small box with a wire coming out of it, located on the trunk. My father asked what this was and was told it was the XM radio antenna. Must say, its ugly. Is this what you are stuck with if you want XM radio?
Old 11-20-06, 10:35 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

XM/Sirius is common to have those small black puck antennas. A lot of the places recommend putting those in a clear site which is outside of the car (roof, trunk, or rear glass). Do a search in this ES350 forum for satellite antennas and you will find a number of pictures. I know a ton of people who put that antenna on a rear deck next to the break light under the rear glass, and there is no problem with a reception. For XM radio, the only "officially" suported by Lexus as an add-on option, they actually added sharkfin antenna (latest GS, IS, LS models) which has built-in XM antenna. It doesn't help you much if you want Sirius and will require a new antenna. I'm going through this argument right now putting Sirius into my upcoming GS350. They only want to add this ugly black puck on top of the trunk of a silver car?!?!?
Old 11-20-06, 10:36 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have XM. It is a dealer or port installed option. It is not installed at the factory. It depends on who installs it and how much of a clean job they do. You can have the antenna installed on the inside of the rear window if you wish.
Old 11-20-06, 11:26 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1seeker1
When I was looking at the ES 350 the other day, I noticed one with a small box with a wire coming out of it, located on the trunk. My father asked what this was and was told it was the XM radio antenna. Must say, its ugly. Is this what you are stuck with if you want XM radio?
XM????

Are you kidding?

No Howard Stern?

Why bother then?

Stick with FM.

Sirius rocks!!!
Old 11-20-06, 11:42 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe he is a fan of Opie and Antony?
Old 11-20-06, 12:21 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
Maybe he is a fan of Opie and Antony?
That's simply impossible to comprehend!

Old 11-21-06, 05:57 PM
Vandam
Rookie

I ordered my ES with XM installed. I'm neither a fan of Howard nor O&A. I'm getting the sat radio for the music.

I pick the ES up tomorrow..how long does it take to activate the XM programming?
Old 11-21-06, 06:00 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Once you call XM, it usually activates in 15 mins. I transferred my service from my previous car and it took less than 15 mins.
Old 11-21-06, 06:03 PM
Vandam
Rookie

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if I must have a US address to activate on the US XM?

There are changes between the US and Canadian XM services. I would prefer not to have the Canadian content shoved down my throat...thanks for nothing CRTC!

Rumour has it that the US service gets all the channels, Canadian ones included.
Old 11-21-06, 06:10 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vandam
Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if I must have a US address to activate on the US XM?

There are changes between the US and Canadian XM services. I would prefer not to have the Canadian content shoved down my throat...thanks for nothing CRTC!

Rumour has it that the US service gets all the channels, Canadian ones included.
You stumped me on that one. I would call XM and get the details.
Old 11-22-06, 06:15 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandam

I could be wrong but I thought once you went into Canada the US based XM service fades out pretty quickly. I suppose this is because they are two separate services. You might want to call XM directly.
Old 11-22-06, 08:28 PM
psp
Pole Position

Evitzee,

Is your avatar a picture of an AP perpetual calendar?
Old 11-26-06, 07:32 PM
Lex13
Rookie

Originally Posted by twister
For XM radio, the only "officially" suported by Lexus as an add-on option, they actually added sharkfin antenna (latest GS, IS, LS models) which has built-in XM antenna.
Does anyone know if the antenna for the GS, IS, and LS can be added to the ES. I too want sat-radio but there's no way that I'll allow that ugly puck and cable to be seen sticking out from a $40,000 vehicle.
Old 11-29-06, 06:16 AM
nyardich
Driver

Smile XM Antenna

Originally Posted by 1seeker1
Does this look that bad,\. I will get some touchup paint and make small ant my color.
It also works perfectly and definitely does not detract from appearance.

nyardich
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio Question-dsc04375.jpg  
Old 11-29-06, 08:48 AM
1seeker1
Rookie

Originally Posted by nyardich
Does this look that bad,\. I will get some touchup paint and make small ant my color.
It also works perfectly and definitely does not detract from appearance.

nyardich
Thanks for the picture. The picture gives everyone a good idea of what the antenna looks like. They did a better job on yours than the one I saw (off to the side on the trunk). I agree painting it would even make it look better. Better yet, IMO, is the suggestion of attaching it to the back window.

Quick Reply: XM Radio Question