ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

After 5000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06, 08:47 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 5000 mile service

I notice my car sounds a little different after the 5000 mile service. I kinda think it's louder than before....or could it be possible that my loaner's quietness has changed my perception of my own car. I dont know... i might have to sleep on it and try it again tommorrow morning. For some reason it just feels different than before. Is it possible that new clean oil takes a while to burn in? I dont know...... i need to take it out for a spin again. Has anyone experience differences after 5000 mile service?

Oh btw, i had them adjust my bumper so it's more flush against the panel. It turns out that a couple of clips were not installed properly. Now it's 80% better, but still a tiny gap....it's cool tho. No complaints from me.
Old 11-20-06, 11:19 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kaius88
I notice my car sounds a little different after the 5000 mile service. I kinda think it's louder than before....or could it be possible that my loaner's quietness has changed my perception of my own car. I dont know... i might have to sleep on it and try it again tommorrow morning. For some reason it just feels different than before. Is it possible that new clean oil takes a while to burn in? I dont know...... i need to take it out for a spin again. Has anyone experience differences after 5000 mile service?
I know the answer to that question.
Old 11-21-06, 02:49 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh btw, i had them adjust my bumper so it's more flush against the panel. It turns out that a couple of clips were not installed properly. Now it's 80% better, but still a tiny gap....it's cool tho. No complaints from me.
An oil change is not something that should make your engine louder, perhaps you have had enough time in a different vehicle to actually notice the ES engine.
Old 11-21-06, 05:42 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my 5K last week, no changes to my car. However, I had another ES loaner...not a GS.
Old 11-21-06, 06:32 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I know the answer to that question.
Is that has to do anything with his GS loaner?

Yeah, I think oil change shouldn't affect anything that you think you're experiencing. Now, getting a new tranny that's a different story For me that was the weirdest experience when I got back my ES with a new one, and it felt completely like a different car. Let us know how it feels today after a day of driving. I'm also curious if you got a detailed list of what has been done and checked in your car @ 5k service?
Old 11-21-06, 07:38 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Let us know if this becomes an engine vibration type problem.
Old 11-21-06, 08:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
Had my 5K last week, no changes to my car. However, I had another ES loaner...not a GS.
I had my 5k service two weeks ago and no changes to the car. The dealer only did the recommened services, checks, one personal setting change and wash. I waited for the car, so no comparison with another car. An oil change shouldn't make any difference in how the engine sounds - It probably is the difference between your car and the loaner IMO.

Last edited by LexBob2; 11-21-06 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-21-06, 08:32 AM
cocopops
Pole Position

hehe... mid of next month, I will be going for my 5k service. Hopefully I can get a GS or an IS loaner.
Old 11-21-06, 11:13 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Our Toothfixer and Twister are probably smiling right now. I think you guys are right... I came out of the GS, and went straight into my ES without any time lapse (cashier window closed, so paperwork skipped). Ya... The GS was more quiet....and the brakes much more responsive. I drove my ES to work this morning, and now it sounds more familiar.... I think my perception is back to normal. No "wierd" engine noise.... just normal ES350 sounds. The car feels a bit heavier....i guess the acceleration makes a difference. Dont get me wrong i still love my almost-problem-free ES350.... I just wish I had a GS to drive for fun once in a while. Man, time to sell a kidney or get a 2nd job.
Old 11-21-06, 11:17 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Our Toothfixer and Twister are probably smiling right now. I think you guys are right... I came out of the GS, and went straight into my ES without any time lapse (cashier window closed, so paperwork skipped). Ya... The GS was more quiet....and the brakes much more responsive. I drove my ES to work this morning, and now it sounds more familiar.... I think my perception is back to normal. No "wierd" engine noise.... just normal ES350 sounds. The car feels a bit heavier....i guess the acceleration makes a difference. Dont get me wrong i still love my almost-problem-free ES350.... I just wish I had a GS to drive for fun once in a while. Man, time to sell a kidney or get a 2nd job.

Or, next time in for service ask why it is that a car with less HP has a noisier engine one can hear as a difference.
Old 11-21-06, 11:48 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Bob, I think there is a definite difference in noise isolation between the two cars but IMO there is another reason for the increased engine noise in the ES. The GS not only has more HP, it feels like it has a lot more low end torque. The car is snappy and responsive without a lot of fuss. Therefore you wind out the engine less and make less engine noise in the process. This is exactly what I mean when say that the GS does everything effortlessly. There is no straining and no high RPMs necessary for good acceleration. I drive the ES once a week to gas it up and wash it. I notice it right away and that's why I described the ES as "buzzy". By no means is it buzzy compared to 99% of the cars out there but relative to the GS, there is a substantial difference.
Old 11-21-06, 12:05 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Bob, I think there is a definite difference in noise isolation between the two cars but IMO there is another reason for the increased engine noise in the ES. The GS not only has more HP, it feels like it has a lot more low end torque. The car is snappy and responsive without a lot of fuss. Therefore you wind out the engine less and make less engine noise in the process. This is exactly what I mean when say that the GS does everything effortlessly. There is no straining and no high RPMs necessary for good acceleration. I drive the ES once a week to gas it up and wash it. I notice it right away and that's why I described the ES as "buzzy". By no means is it buzzy compared to 99% of the cars out there but relative to the GS, there is a substantial difference.
Your observations and that of Kauis are in line with my view of HP Vs noise level. A car does not have to be noisier simply because it has more HP. We had a poll on that here somewhere.

There is certainly something up with approach to noise abatement ES vs GS where GS has more HP and as well in contrast comparing lessor noise level of older ES models, 02 in particular and even older, with less HP than current 350 and yet they are appreciably quiter as well.

As with wind noise, I have my mind on a potential contributor to engine noisiness (not knocking/tapping) and lessening same, but will post more later when I know that what I suspect has some merit.
Old 11-21-06, 12:08 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Just want to add, Kaius drove GS300 as his loaner which is 245hp vs ES350 272hp. The engine noise is exactly what Robert described, low end torque which contributes to a higher efficiency when accelerating and takes away some strain from the engine. These are two different cars, and like I mentioned before, both have their pluses and minuses. It just a matter of figuring out which one works better for you, your driving style, and your lifestyle.

BTW, you will be surprised that no selling of kidney requires to get it. In CA with so much competition, you can price non NAV/ML GS350 at the same price as UL ES350. I still didn't pick up mine, paperwork from corporate Lexus for buyback only came in today. Supposed to get it tonight. Than, I will give you all the details. BTW, one thing for sure, with buyback you only pay taxes on difference between the final prices of two cars. If I could afford, I would love to have both ES and GS for different ride situations.
Old 11-21-06, 12:19 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
Just want to add, Kaius drove GS300 as his loaner which is 245hp vs ES350 272hp. The engine noise is exactly what Robert described, low end torque which contributes to a higher efficiency when accelerating and takes away some strain from the engine. These are two different cars, and like I mentioned before, both have their pluses and minuses. It just a matter of figuring out which one works better for you, your driving style, and your lifestyle.

BTW, you will be surprised that no selling of kidney requires to get it. In CA with so much competition, you can price non NAV/ML GS350 at the same price as UL ES350. I still didn't pick up mine, paperwork from corporate Lexus for buyback only came in today. Supposed to get it tonight. Than, I will give you all the details. BTW, one thing for sure, with buyback you only pay taxes on difference between the final prices of two cars. If I could afford, I would love to have both ES and GS for different ride situations.
Twistr,

Thanks for clarifying on the two, had seen 2th's view and that of the guy on GS forum who had recently decided on GS instead of ES350.
Old 11-21-06, 01:18 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

I know you said that it was no big deal for you, but just so that you know--w/o that tiny gap, the parts would otherwise rub against each other (cars do flex/expand/contract under various conditions, you know )...which probably wouldn't be a good thing in itself either.