ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-06, 07:33 PM
delex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter removal

I looked under my 350ES 2007 to find the oil filter, I can't find a cannister looks like I have the paper filter kind. The bottom of the housing has a square hole, Is that for a special wrench or does a square ratchet end fit it. Is there a removal procedure or any pictures of the housing available? Does anyone have any experience with this. I hate to turn or force things in the wrong direction.
I would appreciate any input on this matter,

Thanks
John
Old 11-22-06, 07:48 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Use a rachet extension 3/8" fits right in there... Have fun with the plastic hose nipple.

Here... I got to thinking, there's an excellent writeup, for an Avalon.... It just looks like a different car, process and locations are identicle.

Avalon Oil Change

Last edited by onsknht; 11-22-06 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-23-06, 09:13 AM
delex
Driver School Candidate

Default oil filter removal

onsknht,

Thank you for the information it was excellent!

JOHN
Old 11-23-06, 07:32 PM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good write up on changing the canister. One additional step I did when changing the oil on mine was to carfully prime the canister with oil after the new filter is installed. Pour a little in at a time and be careful not to let the oil overflow out of the canister. It takes a little while for the oil to soak into the filter element. Once it's as full as you can get it, then re-install. The priming will help to minimize dry start up.
Old 11-23-06, 09:45 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

do u just hand tighten the canister when you screw it on
Old 11-24-06, 12:53 AM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Couple Questions...

(1) Where can I get the hose adapter, filter element, and O-rings?
(1.b) Can these all be attained at the dealership?
(2) Would it be cheaper to find the same ones at a Toyota dealership instead?
(3) What are the part numbers for these components?

My apologies ahead of time for my ignorance - if anyone knows more and can answer my question, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you
Old 11-24-06, 03:52 AM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the words from the Avalon directions on tighening: "Note that you are not tightening against a seal like a
conventional filter, so the old axiom of “1/16 turn beyond tight” does not apply. If you are not
sure if the housing is all the way in, apply light force with the filter wrench and 3/8” socket
wrench and extension."

I purchased my filter from a Toyota dealer. I don't know the part number, I asked for a 2007 Camry oil filter. Everything is in the box. I think it was about $5-6. I'd be interested to see if Lexus sells the filter in the same box or if they repackage it.

Last edited by BillP; 11-24-06 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-24-06, 07:28 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

All the parts you need are in the oil filter box... This includes filter, o-rings and the hose adapter.

The one thing you will probably need... An oil filter wrench or I think sometimes referred to as SST? The Avalon author guy says a 64mM/67mM (probably because it's tapered) cap style filter wrench that can be found at Wal-Mart for $4... Personally I have an assortment of these "cap wrenches" I've accumulated over the years and had no problem getting one to fit... You cannot use the "strap" style filter wrenches, I have one with a good universal joint and it didn't work because there isn't enough clearance.

As for the filters being the same between the Avalon, Camry and ES350? Considering it's basically a paper element a couple o-rings and it's all installed on the same engine model... I bet the Toyota filter will even fit the IS350.
Old 11-24-06, 05:14 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Does anyone know why Toyota/Lexus is using the paper filter over the spin on filter, the old style is probably faster and easier and filters the same.

I do know that a while back I found a thread on a Mazda board on how to convert the paper element to the spin on filter, wonder if that will pop up on any Toyota board
Old 11-24-06, 06:31 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

I'd never go to the trouble of doing that. The element changes don't take any longer to do. They're just slightly messier.

If you're going to do anything. Just completely convert it to a remote oil filter. The best part in doing so is that you've then got the ungodly ability to add an auxillary filter, an auxillary bypass filter, an auxillary cooler, or any combination of the above.
Old 11-25-06, 06:40 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE2
Does anyone know why Toyota/Lexus is using the paper filter over the spin on filter, the old style is probably faster and easier and filters the same.
The reason is that the paper filters are more environmentally friendly - paper and oil instead of paper and oil and metal and paint.

They've been doing this in Europe for years and though I agree that it's a bit more of a pain for me changing my filter, when you consider the hundreds of thousands of filters that are discarded every year I think it's a good idea.