ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

CANADIAN ES350 OWNERS: Lexus Canada - detail your ES experiences here

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-06, 09:49 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CANADIAN ES350 OWNERS: Lexus Canada - detail your ES experiences here

I'm starting this thread so that other Canadian owners can report how great their experience has been with dealing with Lexus of Canada and problems with their ES. I'm looking for some great customer success stories.... or well, just tell it like you see it. I'm specifically interested in Lexus Corporate communications, and your satisfaction with that.

Some initial comments:
- We get to pay 25%+ more for our vehicles (on avg) than our US friends.
- TSIBs seem to be available here ~4 weeks after the US TSIB comes out.

My full personal story will come in a week or so after my trans gets replaced. I've told Lexus Canada that I'm very unsatisfied with my vehicle to date, and I'm sick of bringing in my vehicle for issues and repairs. They've advised that they're OK with me bringing in my vehicle multiple times and that they will look after me through my vehicles warranty by providing repairs. Umm, doesn't that sound like what Ford or Chrysler would do? Where's the value add here?
Old 11-23-06, 04:21 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why does the same car cost so much more money in canada given that that the exchange rates are very close now?
Old 11-23-06, 06:23 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wronglane
Why does the same car cost so much more money in canada given that that the exchange rates are very close now?
Greed and because they can...not as many dealers. Some smaller cities only have one. The biggest gouge is the delivery and prep charge...about twice that in the US. By the way the exchange rate is about 15%. It is interesting to note that not all that many years ago cars were cheaper here than in the US and the car companies were rumoured to have border dealers sign agreements not to sell to US customers. Go figure.
Old 11-23-06, 08:22 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Yeah. A few years ago, it was the opposite and was cheaper to buy in Canada.

In terms of Canadian pricing WRT to competitors, it's fairly competitive to me (maybe except that $9k ultra premium package which doesn't seem to have any sort of discount... or at most $500). Don't forget that if the price drops significantly, that'll affect the used car prices on older versions of the same vehicle.

If anything, it's BC Toyota dealers and their collusion (or lack thereof so they say). Absolutely no bargaining whatsoever despite the fact that Access Canada's one-price policy was dropped years ago.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Wanderer, you're not alone. My Prius has been in several times for trivial stuff (like poorly installed mudguards [which is dealer-installed btw], bad bumper clip, glovebox button paint peeling etc). i.e. stuff I don't expect to deal with when I buy a Toyota.
Old 11-23-06, 10:22 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Well, I have a horror story for anyone who wants to read.

Tonight while I was driving on highway 401 I saw a silver Lexus GS350 AWD fly by me at speeds in excess of 160km/h. I was travelling at around 130km and this Lexus just flew by me. We then came up to the typical buildup of traffic in the Oakville area and I got a better look at this Lexus. The vehicle had a dealer plate hanging from the trunk, all seats inside appear to still have the pre delivery plastic on the them, the front wheels also had plastic on the rim, the front hood had white stick on protective tape and the guy inside was smoking a cigarette with all the windows down.

No joke, some poor guy will get this GS350 AWD with a chance of damage before the break in period.

I couldn't believe it.
Old 11-24-06, 03:05 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

pagemaster - that's really bad. The fact that someone does this is just stupid on a vehicle someone is about to buy. The fact they do it in the open for everyone to see is just ........

On Pricing - Yes, BC pricing isn't good. Generally you pay sticker for Toyota and Lexus. Negotiations are kind of futile. They'd rather give you more for your trade-in than move at all on the MSRP of the vehicle if you bargain hard.

PP RX350 AWD pricing is a great example. The RX is made in Canada. Take a PP vehicle at $56,550CA. Add Freight and Delivery of $1775CA (remember, its made in Canada!) and its $58325CA before taxes. That's $51326US. Remember the no discount rule here.

US PP RX350 AWD pricing is ~$43056 using ZIP 98229 inclusive of the $715US delivery fee. Edmunds.com lists numerous posts with everyone claiming $5K off sticker, so that reduces the price to around $38056US, before taxes. That's ~$43200CA using todays exchange rate.

That's a 35% price difference before taxes. Same car with both being made in Canada. US Dealers have also been instructed not to sell to Canadians. I've visited a number of US dealers around the launch times of the ES and LS and they're always eager to sell me a vehicle. When I tell them I'm from Canada their face drops, and they tell me they're not allowed to sell to Canadians.
Old 11-24-06, 09:33 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a sticky situation selling US spec cars to Canadians (and vice versa). As some have said the situation was different a few years ago with a vastly different exchange rate. I've lived in Canada and Australia, and almost everything in these two countries is more expensive than the US for many reasons (small, spread out populations, limited competition between dealers, generally higher taxes/tariffs, and others). An eqivalent IS car in Australia is about 50% more expensive than the US because there is a luxury tax there. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it except express your opinion to the appropriate people.
Old 11-24-06, 11:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99
pagemaster - that's really bad. The fact that someone does this is just stupid on a vehicle someone is about to buy. The fact they do it in the open for everyone to see is just ........

On Pricing - Yes, BC pricing isn't good. Generally you pay sticker for Toyota and Lexus. Negotiations are kind of futile. They'd rather give you more for your trade-in than move at all on the MSRP of the vehicle if you bargain hard.

PP RX350 AWD pricing is a great example. The RX is made in Canada. Take a PP vehicle at $56,550CA. Add Freight and Delivery of $1775CA (remember, its made in Canada!) and its $58325CA before taxes. That's $51326US. Remember the no discount rule here.

US PP RX350 AWD pricing is ~$43056 using ZIP 98229 inclusive of the $715US delivery fee. Edmunds.com lists numerous posts with everyone claiming $5K off sticker, so that reduces the price to around $38056US, before taxes. That's ~$43200CA using todays exchange rate.

That's a 35% price difference before taxes. Same car with both being made in Canada. US Dealers have also been instructed not to sell to Canadians. I've visited a number of US dealers around the launch times of the ES and LS and they're always eager to sell me a vehicle. When I tell them I'm from Canada their face drops, and they tell me they're not allowed to sell to Canadians.
Yeah, I don't know how the people on this board get such a good discount from US Lexus dealers.

I remember 2 years ago. They'd be willing to sell to a Canadian. Now they won't
Old 12-13-06, 06:32 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Default My outcome for second trans still slipping = NO BUYBACK and NO SOLUTION

I'm posting this here as it relates specifically to how Lexus Canada are dealing with the transmission issues we have, and what they're offering me (their customer) as a result. Potential customers should probably take note!!

My 2007 ES350 vehicle problem\issue history:
- Wind noise and engine noise reported to dealer on Day 3 of ownership.
- Broken door entry trim.
- 3 X Various rattles fixed by dealer
- Vehicle vibration at higher speed
- missing plugs under the vehicle causing more wind noise.
- Door\Floor\Seat\console vibration when hot and in gear
- Brakes squeal when reversing from parking spaces.
- Transmision confirmed faulty with 3/4 gear slip issue. Also slipped in 1/2, 2/3 and 4/5 at various times. Started slipping at 2000kms - 5+ mths ago.
- TSIB installed and failed - trans slips much worse than before!
- Second trans installed. New trans also slips 3/4 as before when cold, and 2/3 and 4/5 when hot sometimes. Started slipping 200kms after install.
- Steering now pulls to the left quite severely post trans install (not before!)
- Brakes are now very spongy and weird - again post trans install (not before).

I've had to call Lexus Canada three times to formally raise this as an issue. I've been to my dealer 8 times now (by my count) formally to try to address these issues.

I've asked Lexus Canada for a buy back to be rid of this vehicle, particularly as we're on the second transmission and I still have issues with slipping. Today they've advised that they will not be buying back the vehicle, despite me still having the slippage problem. They can't really repair my car, but I'm also stuck with it.

Lexus Canada would like me to continue to drive the vehicle for another 1500kms or so and see if the trans fixes itself. The Snr Lexus tech rep I met last week advised that his car was slipping post-trans install, but that it went away after 2000kms of driving the vehicle. I advised the tech that's great - but my first trans didn't require me to teach it how to behave as it worked great initially, as did the replacement for the first 200kms. I also described how I didn't want the TSIB as I believed it would fail (which it did) and I didn't want a second trans as I believed that would not fix the problem (which it hasn't!). I could understand what he was saying, but Lexus lost all credibility with me when they insisted the TSIB and then trans replacement would fix my issues when they didn't.

We discussed today what would happen if I did continue to drive the car for the next 1500kms and the trans didn't fix itself. They advised I should then contact my dealer and have them once again replicate the issue, then raise the problem again with Lexus officially myself. At that time they would again look at this and see if anything could be done.

Buyback is NOT on the table here. They simply won't do it. I am being offered nothing more than continuing to have to go to my dealer for repairs or to attempt more repairs. No extended warranty. No compensation. No new car. Nothing.

I then described to them that I'd have to make a booking tomorrow to drop my car in to fix the screwed up brakes and steering (from trans install), which would be visit #9. When the trans is still not working in a few weeks I would then get to do visit #10 and still not have a working vehicle.

So I told my Customer Care Consultant (CCC) that I'm leaving Lexus. I can't keep doing this. This "can't repair vehicle" nonsense has been going on since I reported the wind and engine noise on Day 3. My CCC then said I shouldn't leave Lexus, but that I should go to my Sales Manager and detail how unhappy I am and that they would certainly work something out for me. I told the CCC that I'm talking to her as my Sales Manager has said they can't help me and I have to raise this with Lexus Canada to get some resolution.
Old 12-13-06, 06:46 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99
I'm posting this here as it relates specifically to how Lexus Canada are dealing with the transmission issues we have, and what they're offering me (their customer) as a result. Potential customers should probably take note!!

My 2007 ES350 vehicle problem\issue history:
- Wind noise and engine noise reported to dealer on Day 3 of ownership.
- Broken door entry trim.
- 3 X Various rattles fixed by dealer
- Vehicle vibration at higher speed
- missing plugs under the vehicle causing more wind noise.
- Door\Floor\Seat\console vibration when hot and in gear
- Brakes squeal when reversing from parking spaces.
- Transmision confirmed faulty with 3/4 gear slip issue. Also slipped in 1/2, 2/3 and 4/5 at various times. Started slipping at 2000kms - 5+ mths ago.
- TSIB installed and failed - trans slips much worse than before!
- Second trans installed. New trans also slips 3/4 as before when cold, and 2/3 and 4/5 when hot sometimes. Started slipping 200kms after install.
- Steering now pulls to the left quite severely post trans install (not before!)
- Brakes are now very spongy and weird - again post trans install (not before).

I've had to call Lexus Canada three times to formally raise this as an issue. I've been to my dealer 8 times now (by my count) formally to try to address these issues.

I've asked Lexus Canada for a buy back to be rid of this vehicle, particularly as we're on the second transmission and I still have issues with slipping. Today they've advised that they will not be buying back the vehicle, despite me still having the slippage problem. They can't really repair my car, but I'm also stuck with it.

Lexus Canada would like me to continue to drive the vehicle for another 1500kms or so and see if the trans fixes itself. The Snr Lexus tech rep I met last week advised that his car was slipping post-trans install, but that it went away after 2000kms of driving the vehicle. I advised the tech that's great - but my first trans didn't require me to teach it how to behave as it worked great initially, as did the replacement for the first 200kms. I also described how I didn't want the TSIB as I believed it would fail (which it did) and I didn't want a second trans as I believed that would not fix the problem (which it hasn't!). I could understand what he was saying, but Lexus lost all credibility with me when they insisted the TSIB and then trans replacement would fix my issues when they didn't.

We discussed today what would happen if I did continue to drive the car for the next 1500kms and the trans didn't fix itself. They advised I should then contact my dealer and have them once again replicate the issue, then raise the problem again with Lexus officially myself. At that time they would again look at this and see if anything could be done.

Buyback is NOT on the table here. They simply won't do it. I am being offered nothing more than continuing to have to go to my dealer for repairs or to attempt more repairs. No extended warranty. No compensation. No new car. Nothing.

I then described to them that I'd have to make a booking tomorrow to drop my car in to fix the screwed up brakes and steering (from trans install), which would be visit #9. When the trans is still not working in a few weeks I would then get to do visit #10 and still not have a working vehicle.

So I told my Customer Care Consultant (CCC) that I'm leaving Lexus. I can't keep doing this. This "can't repair vehicle" nonsense has been going on since I reported the wind and engine noise on Day 3. My CCC then said I shouldn't leave Lexus, but that I should go to my Sales Manager and detail how unhappy I am and that they would certainly work something out for me. I told the CCC that I'm talking to her as my Sales Manager has said they can't help me and I have to raise this with Lexus Canada to get some resolution.

In a nutshell, Lexus shafted you. I wouldn't even believe the story of the (one) guy who claimed his trans fixed itself.

How can any company in good conscience make a decision on one employee's experience with one car and then use that experience against you in your plight.

It's just a story that Lexus tech is paid to tell you to get rid of you and your complaint/stall you out further. That's why he told it to you and that's why...coincidentally?????...it is THE reason just given you as to why you are not offered a buyback.

Just like the LIE told me that my former car had it's TSIB in Japan, just to get rid of me and stick me in a car as they have now stuck you.

I am, as I said on TSIB thread, very sorry to see how you are treated and I do not blame you for leaving Lexus, your treatment and what you have endured for 8 +/- months is despicable.
Old 12-13-06, 07:37 PM
discoverer
Driver School Candidate

I am sorry wanderer99 what is happening to you.
Reading all the threads for so long, I guess I have to reconsider my choice.
My es will arrive middle or end of March (I've already changed color twice), but I see how LEXUS CANADA is treating us, who is buying entry luxury cars.
Lexus is taking advantage of Canadians:
-charging us more than our US friends
-giving us less choices than in US
-treating us like second category consumers
I wonder if they give me back my deposit?
Old 12-13-06, 07:39 PM
cowdung
Rookie

Wanderer, if you want to fix this situation easily then do this. Hire a lawyer and tell him/her that you have a defective transmission and lexus is insisting that you drive it a little more and get back to them. Then tell him/her that you have talked to your dealer and they are aware of your complaint and will not do anything. By them denying the situation, they the dealer/lexus are putting your life at risk as something can go wrong anytime you drive the car. Have your lawyer draft a letter to this extent and just watch how they come running to you. I had to do this once and believe me they wont take you seriously until you take ACTION.
Old 12-13-06, 07:41 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by discoverer
I am sorry wanderer99 what is happening to you.
Reading all the threads for so long, I guess I have to reconsider my choice.
My es will arrive middle or end of March (I've already changed color twice), but I see how LEXUS CANADA is treating us, who is buying entry luxury cars.
Lexus is taking advantage of Canadians:
-charging us more than our US friends
-giving us less choices than in US
-treating us like second category consumers
I wonder if they give me back my deposit?
Tough choice to make discoverer.

I do not know how much the deposit was but if you decide to cancel and lose it, it may be far less of a loss than if you are stuck in Wanderer's position and have to trade out.
Old 12-13-06, 07:48 PM
discoverer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Tough choice to make discoverer.

I do not know how much the deposit was but if you decide to cancel and lose it, it may be far less of a loss than if you are stuck in Wanderer's position and have to trade out.
It was 3000 CD$ it is about 2595 US$
Old 12-13-06, 07:53 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by discoverer
It was 3000 CD$ it is about 2595 US$

I see that is something to consider in your ultimate decision.
I wish you the best in determining what you will do.

Quick Reply: CANADIAN ES350 OWNERS: Lexus Canada - detail your ES experiences here