Buying an ES30?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 07:09 PM
BMT22033
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
BMT...,

I think you going in aware and previewing the car the length of time you did should allow you to be comfortable you avoided issues like wind noise and even diesel engine sound.
I tried to be as thorough as I could based on the problems that other people here have described. I'd be disappointed by wind noise and engine knocking/tapping (as long as it's not harming anything) but I could live with either of them. It's the possibility of a transmission flare problem that really worries me the most. I know there are several people here who, unfortunately, know what it feels like to pay $40k+ for a car and then have to have the transmission replaced. That feeling alone would be bad enough. But if it happens to my car, I'll want to kick myself because I knew about the problem but took a chance and bought the car anyway! Only time will tell, I guess.
Old 11-25-06, 08:11 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMT22033
I tried to be as thorough as I could based on the problems that other people here have described. I'd be disappointed by wind noise and engine knocking/tapping (as long as it's not harming anything) but I could live with either of them. It's the possibility of a transmission flare problem that really worries me the most. I know there are several people here who, unfortunately, know what it feels like to pay $40k+ for a car and then have to have the transmission replaced. That feeling alone would be bad enough. But if it happens to my car, I'll want to kick myself because I knew about the problem but took a chance and bought the car anyway! Only time will tell, I guess.
If you end up with a trans issue there seems not much to be done about it right now anyway if that makes you feel better in some backward fashion. Over time something will be done but it does not disable the car, it's more of an ongoing annoyance than anything else.

I read response to e-man and was laughing at some of the BS stories you were told about the trans, particularly the one about the early problem ones were made in America..LOL..And it seems the story page has them all saying only experienced 1 or 2 of them or very few or just heard about it, or other.

And the dismissal of the internet by the one cracked me up not realizing you were on the internet researching so there are more than his "two kinds"..LOL
Old 11-25-06, 08:40 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dreyfus
I'd buy another one without any hesitation.

It was below freezing here last night and my car was parked outside. This morning I purposely drove it hard when cold to try and create both the startup engine noise and the shift flare. As with the half dozen other times I've tried, I couldn't get anything but a quiet, smooth drive.

Like wanderer99 said, you're in a better position to make a decision with all the input from owners on this board. The probems with various noises and some transmissions are very real, so you now know to look out for them when test driving and/or purchasing.
I'd say if you have tried as you have and nothing, there is not going to be any issue with your car at all and I think it is helpful to others that you did try and that you posted your results.

These need not knock and tap at any volume level, sewing machine or cannery works level, and they need not have any gears slip and when more like you post this type of info you shared on here the better for every ES350 owner.
Old 11-26-06, 06:29 AM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read some of the other posts as well. I drove some other cars before driving the ES350. I considered the Maxima, Infiniti G 4 door, Mercedes C, and BMW 3 series. Then I thought, well, I should try the Lexus too. To me the Lexus was totally different that the other cars I tried. The ride was smoother ("like an eel through oil", someone else's quote) and the inside space felt larger. I also liked the way it was set up. The amount of controls and gadgets when off looks unimpressive to me. Once started and in use that is not the case. (Yes, I think the clock looks cheap.)

Wind noise? -- not an issue
Transmission flare? -- not on my car
Fact that 90 mph feels like 55 mph? -- big problem

Problems: dash rattles (mostly fixed), 1 speaker intermittently not working (fixed, took a month), can't see home-link buttons at night (solved), speed lockouts on navigation system (this is the biggest headache on the car).

What color to get?

Old 11-26-06, 02:33 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by psp
Problems: can't see home-link buttons at night (solved),
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Solved? How was this solved? This is my next big project on the car, to illuminate the overhead console.

What did you do?
Old 11-26-06, 03:35 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Solved? How was this solved? This is my next big project on the car, to illuminate the overhead console.

What did you do?
He bought a flashlight!!
Old 11-26-06, 03:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
He bought a flashlight!!
Funny... Not a bad idea tho!
Old 11-26-06, 08:06 PM
psp
Pole Position

Yup, I bought a tiny LED flashlight and Velcro-ed it to the inside of the drink holder lid. Used industrial strength Velcro too. Focused the beam on the button panel and voilà -- problem eradicated.
Old 11-27-06, 07:54 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Originally Posted by psp
Yup, I bought a tiny LED flashlight and Velcro-ed it to the inside of the drink holder lid. Used industrial strength Velcro too. Focused the beam on the button panel and voilà -- problem eradicated.
Oh, okay. Didn't I read about your fix in a forum somewhere? It's a clean and simple solution.

Since there's nothing to take apart I'm still going with something more complicated and difficult in my ES350 once I get around to it.
Old 11-27-06, 08:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Oh, okay. Didn't I read about your fix in a forum somewhere? It's a clean and simple solution.

Since there's nothing to take apart I'm still going with something more complicated and difficult in my ES350 once I get around to it.
I wonder if Lexus has come up with a fix for this (I think I know the answer...). It's a real ergonomic oversight. My previous two cars had Homelink, and the button(s) were on the drivers side visor. Even in the dark you could find it, as it was the only thing up there. I still haven't figured out how to find the right button in the dark.
Old 11-27-06, 08:35 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

In the meantime you could order one of those late night TV advertised Owls and try that.

Or, for a cheap, fast fix, go to Home Depot and get a small can or tube of that nightglow paint like used to paint stars and galaxies on the kids bedroom ceiling visible only when lights off at night and just put it on or near buttons using a Q tip.

If they get too weak to see, hit them with a blast from the Owl to refresh them...LOL..j/k the ambient daylight should keep the glow at max or good enough.
Old 11-27-06, 10:26 AM
psp
Pole Position

I was going to use some luminescent paint like they use on some of the newer dive watches (SuperLuminova) but I am so clumsy it might look like Salvador Dali (or my 6 year old) did it, and the rest of the interior too. Needless to say the flashlight is the far less invasive solution to this issue until Dreyfus shows us how to wire something in.
Old 11-27-06, 04:20 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
...I still haven't figured out how to find the right button in the dark.
Although the following solution still doesn't resolve the "I can't see the buttons in the dark" dilemma, it will at least make things a bit easier when feeling around in order to press the right button; for me--since the only thing I would use the Homelink transmitter for is to open/close my garage door...what I wound up doing was to program all three buttons to open/close the garage door. No--I still can't see the buttons in the dark but at least I won't have to wonder if I pressed the correct Homelink button!
Old 11-27-06, 07:09 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Originally Posted by toneman
Although the following solution still doesn't resolve the "I can't see the buttons in the dark" dilemma, it will at least make things a bit easier when feeling around in order to press the right button; for me--since the only thing I would use the Homelink transmitter for is to open/close my garage door...what I wound up doing was to program all three buttons to open/close the garage door. No--I still can't see the buttons in the dark but at least I won't have to wonder if I pressed the correct Homelink button!
Good idea!