ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: What octane grade of gas do you fill your ES with?
87 Octane
26.87%
89 Octane
15.65%
91 Octane
29.25%
93+ Octane
28.23%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

The mother of all grade of gas debates for ES350 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06 | 11:19 AM
BillP
Driver

Originally Posted by EDGE2
93 and only 93, I've seen it many times with cars that should be using premium, they develop rough idle, randomly stall and suddenly don't start.

The Camry gets 268 with premium
Is that from the Camry owners manual? I have not read it. People posting in the 07 Camry forums on Edmunds refer to 87 recommended for the V6.
Old 12-10-06 | 02:10 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BillP
Is that from the Camry owners manual? I have not read it. People posting in the 07 Camry forums on Edmunds refer to 87 recommended for the V6.
The 268hp number is rated on Premium,

From what I have been told, all Toyotas and Lexus vehicles are tested with Premium to acheive the highest Preformance numbers except for the cars that don't benefit like the Corolla and Yaris, etc...
Old 12-10-06 | 03:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The 268hp number is rated on Premium,

From what I have been told, all Toyotas and Lexus vehicles are tested with Premium to acheive the highest Preformance numbers except for the cars that don't benefit like the Corolla and Yaris, etc...
Consumer Reports tested the Camry, Avalon and RAV4 all with "regular unleaded". They use the fuel recommended by the manufacturer.
Old 12-13-06 | 08:07 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Have been using 93 octane for the first 5K miles and averaged 27.4 MPG per the computer. Cleared the system and have driven 1500 miles on 89 octane. Computer says my average is now 26.2 MPG. Driving habbits have not changed. Have heard many state that the car's computer is compensating for the loss in octane causing a loss in MPG. Thoughts?
Old 12-13-06 | 09:22 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Originally Posted by MD350
Have been using 93 octane for the first 5K miles and averaged 27.4 MPG per the computer. Cleared the system and have driven 1500 miles on 89 octane. Computer says my average is now 26.2 MPG. Driving habbits have not changed. Have heard many state that the car's computer is compensating for the loss in octane causing a loss in MPG. Thoughts?
I haven't experienced any detectable difference in gas mileage in my car. If your 4% loss in mpg isn't more than offset by savings in the cost of gas then you should definitely use the good stuff.
Old 12-20-06 | 05:18 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MD350
MD,

In my forum travels I noticed a thread on the IS 2nd gen where they talk about a dip in MPG.

It is too soon for you I think, but they stated after their 1st oil change they noticed a dip in mpg.

What may pertain though, is several mentioned in winter, oil companies change the fuel blend, adding more ethanol I think in they said, which supposedly slightly dips mpg. So you may be noticing that as the reason for the slight dip in mpg?
Old 12-20-06 | 05:25 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
MD,

In my forum travels I noticed a thread on the IS 2nd gen where they talk about a dip in MPG.

It is too soon for you I think, but they stated after their 1st oil change they noticed a dip in mpg.

What may pertain though, is several mentioned in winter, oil companies change the fuel blend, adding more ethanol I think in they said, which supposedly slightly dips mpg. So you may be noticing that as the reason for the slight dip in mpg?
You could very well be correct...I am still using 89 and will see what happens when the weather warms up. Thanks!
Old 12-20-06 | 05:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
MD,

There was an article in the paper here a couple of weeks ago on that same topic. Also confirming that gas mileage can go down a bit due to the additives in the winter blend gas.
Old 12-24-06 | 02:47 PM
Mlawler
Driver School Candidate

A lots depends on where you live, in Colorado we are at a higher altitude, dealers have told me before that the difference in none, nada zip here in denver and I have no data to prove this so it could be total BS. My tundra was recommended at 91 I think but most always used 87 and the times we experiemented it appeared that with 87 we got better gas mileage, again I could be full of....

I have been using 91 but I am now goin to try 87 and see what happens.....bla ha ha...its alive its alive!

I would like to know were the info is that higher octane burns cleaner, I have never heard that but it burns hotter and faster, not sure with the government regulations how that can be so? I have also seen the information that ethenol will reduce your mileage.

I will say on our dirt bikes there is a huge difference between 87 and 91.

Last edited by Mlawler; 12-24-06 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-25-06 | 10:02 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

My 4Runner running on 93 gets the same gas mileage as 87 but somehow I need to fill up more often
Old 12-25-06 | 10:06 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

My 4Runner running on 93 gets the same gas mileage as 87 but somehow I need to fill up more often
LOL Edge, must be some gremlins got in the tank and are slurping some up or it's operator error on whoever is operating the gas mileage calculator.
Old 12-28-06 | 02:56 PM
lds
Driver School Candidate

Default After 5000 mile service, drop in mpg

I was getting great mileage, averaging over 26 mpg until my 5000 mile service. Now I am getting around 23 mpg. This is my own calculated mileage -- I have kept all my mileage records since I got the car. The tank average computer reading went from around 27 to 24. I am doing the same type of driving, mostly back roads. I don't understand it. The weather did not change drastically -- we are having a very mild winter so far. The dealer had my car for almost a week when I had the 5000 mile service, trying to fix my rattles. When I filled up my tank the day I got it back, I got 21.53 mpg on that tank -- the lowest so far. I still have a rattle in the dashboard in front of the driver -- sounds like it is near the surface. I have brought my car to the dealer at least 4 times. It is really frustrating. I currently have close to 6900 miles on the car and have been using Mobil or Exxon plus -- 89.
Old 12-28-06 | 03:21 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lds
I was getting great mileage, averaging over 26 mpg until my 5000 mile service. Now I am getting around 23 mpg. This is my own calculated mileage -- I have kept all my mileage records since I got the car. The tank average computer reading went from around 27 to 24. I am doing the same type of driving, mostly back roads. I don't understand it. The weather did not change drastically -- we are having a very mild winter so far. The dealer had my car for almost a week when I had the 5000 mile service, trying to fix my rattles. When I filled up my tank the day I got it back, I got 21.53 mpg on that tank -- the lowest so far. I still have a rattle in the dashboard in front of the driver -- sounds like it is near the surface. I have brought my car to the dealer at least 4 times. It is really frustrating. I currently have close to 6900 miles on the car and have been using Mobil or Exxon plus -- 89.
Ids - I’ve seen this before on other forumes when owners go for there first dealer oil change, afterwards there mpg went down. Thinking back to when I bought my 98 Camry the same thing happen to me on the first dealer oil change and my performance went down too. They said they did not change any computer setting but I think they lied. Same thing happen on our 02 Mit GTZ it from being a terrorizer to being a slug. Have you lost any performance and have you noticed any change in color from your tail pipe like gone to black from being clean?
Old 12-28-06 | 04:17 PM
RobF350
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I fill my 1992 ES with premium. The higher the octane the more power and more fuel efficient your engine will run. Yes your car can run on regular, it is not the best gas for the Lexus engine.

Ever notice race gas (anyone race here)? 106 octane. In Europe some stations have it for sale for our cars. It is like $7 a gallon but makes your car run like it is another car!!

You own a Lexus, my advice is do the right thing and put PREMIUM in your car!

just some info- if you put TOO high octane in a engine thats not meant to have it, it can have the reverse effect. Higher octane fuel actually burns slower, not quicker, if you dont have the compression for the higher octane fuel its actually worse for the engine.

Race engines are running at thier peak and demand the high octane fuel.
I think Lexus says to put the premium so you dont have some people saying thier engines are knocking, or that they dont perform 100%.

I have not noticed the difference when switching from one to another, car gets the same mileage, and if there is a performance difference its very minimal.

Todays fuel are all clean, its not like the old days when crappy fuel was really crappy. Todays car's computers adjust for the change in fuel.

How many of you remember older cars going up a hill with the AC on or a full car load and it would knock? Todays knock sensors retard the timing and fuel mixture to compensate for this.
Old 12-28-06 | 05:16 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by lds
Call your dealer and find out what viscosity oil they use. If the factory fill was a 5w20 and the dealer uses 5w30 or 10w30, you will see a decrease in mpg. If you want the best mileage use a synthetic 5w20 or 0w20 and you'll see an improvement right away. I have seen enough Used Oil Analysis to know that 5w20 or 0w20 is not too thin a viscosity.

P.S. If it makes you feel better. My 2006 ES only averages 21.5mpg so far.

Quick Reply: The mother of all grade of gas debates for ES350 (merged threads)