ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: Please indicate your ES350 transmission problem, concern by build month
Transmission Shift Flare Requiring Service
27.45%
Transmission seems erratic at times with a shift flare now and then, will observe for now
25.49%
02/06 Build
1.96%
03/06 Build
1.96%
04/06 Build
7.84%
05/06 Build
11.76%
06/06 Build
7.84%
07/06 Build
9.80%
08/06 Build
17.65%
09/06 Build
15.69%
10/06 Build
5.88%
11/06 Build
7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Problem By Build Date

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 06:28 AM
tnedator
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Let's hope it's just fine, otherwise isn't it the husband that gets the blame
Yep, that is how it works
Old 12-30-06, 06:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Let's hope it's just fine, otherwise isn't it the husband that gets the blame
That's funny, sad and true all at the same time.
Old 12-30-06, 06:54 AM
BMT22033
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tnedator
Well the one I am picking up tomorrow is an October build.
I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I really, really wanted an ES 350 but reports of the transmission problem were very worrisome. The service manager at the dealership where I bought my car also claimed that they had only seem the transmission problem in one or two cars. In the end, I took the chance and bought my ES 350 UL (a 10/06 build) right after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to drive it yet but with ~375 miles on the odometer, I haven't experienced the trans flare yet. I do, however, have the diesel engine noise (which mostly goes away after the engine is warm), a few creaks and rattles and finally, some wind noise. I just got my new owner survey in the mail so I'm going to take the car into the dealership to see if they can address any of these things before I fill out the survey.

Like you, I'd read the posts about all of these "issues" and I tried my best to look for them before I took delivery of the car. I don't know if they were there all along and my desire for the car just drowned them out or I just didn't start to notice them until I had driven the car several times. Anyway, good luck with your purchase! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-30-06, 07:04 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMT22033
I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I really, really wanted an ES 350 but reports of the transmission problem were very worrisome. The service manager at the dealership where I bought my car also claimed that they had only seem the transmission problem in one or two cars. In the end, I took the chance and bought my ES 350 UL (a 10/06 build) right after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to drive it yet but with ~375 miles on the odometer, I haven't experienced the trans flare yet. I do, however, have the diesel engine noise (which mostly goes away after the engine is warm), a few creaks and rattles and finally, some wind noise. I just got my new owner survey in the mail so I'm going to take the car into the dealership to see if they can address any of these things before I fill out the survey.

Like you, I'd read the posts about all of these "issues" and I tried my best to look for them before I took delivery of the car. I don't know if they were there all along and my desire for the car just drowned them out or I just didn't start to notice them until I had driven the car several times. Anyway, good luck with your purchase! Let us know how it turns out.
Say it aint so BMT!!!!

It's that new car, deer caught in the headlights thing I think that we all get when proximal to a brand new car.

I hope you get any issues resolved to your satisfaction and you are made happy.
Old 12-30-06, 09:03 AM
BMT22033
Driver School Candidate

I hope you get any issues resolved to your satisfaction and you are made happy.
Thanks for your post, Bob. I don't want to sound as if I'm completely unhappy with my purchase because overall, I AM happy. This was my first Lexus. Prior to this car I owned a 2000 Accord and before that a 92 Camry. I'm not sure what I really expected, but having never owned a luxury brand vehicle before, I just didn't expect things like the diesel engine noise or the wind noise. Those were things that I had in my previous "non-luxury" cars. But certainly not in a *LEXUS*. As I said before, I haven't taken the car to the dealer yet so there's a small (perhaps naive) part of me that hopes that the dealer will be able to resolve these things.

Ultimately, I'll still enjoy my car even if these issues remain. But my previous perception regarding the "perfection" of Lexus will have changed a little. The question I'm asking myself now is who's to blame for my prior misperception? I'm sure it's 99.9% my fault for having unrealistic expectations. The other .01% I blame squarely on the marketers who come up with slogans like "The * Pursuit of Perfection"!
Old 12-30-06, 09:31 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BMT22033
Thanks for your post, Bob. I don't want to sound as if I'm completely unhappy with my purchase because overall, I AM happy. This was my first Lexus. Prior to this car I owned a 2000 Accord and before that a 92 Camry. I'm not sure what I really expected, but having never owned a luxury brand vehicle before, I just didn't expect things like the diesel engine noise or the wind noise. Those were things that I had in my previous "non-luxury" cars. But certainly not in a *LEXUS*. As I said before, I haven't taken the car to the dealer yet so there's a small (perhaps naive) part of me that hopes that the dealer will be able to resolve these things.

Ultimately, I'll still enjoy my car even if these issues remain. But my previous perception regarding the "perfection" of Lexus will have changed a little. The question I'm asking myself now is who's to blame for my prior misperception? I'm sure it's 99.9% my fault for having unrealistic expectations. The other .01% I blame squarely on the marketers who come up with slogans like "The * Pursuit of Perfection"!
You are welcome.

My friends try to put this in a different perspective by teasing, one in particular who I cut a lot of slack for with some of the stuff he comes out with as his job in law enforcement is stressful and dangerous.

He had driven my former and was surprised.....then he showed up one day with a brand new Harley and said hey Bob this is your next ride, it has all that you are getting used to now in preperation, wind noise, engine noise, you just have to remember to keep your mouth shut during love bug season and you are good to go get one...
Old 12-30-06, 11:33 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

03/06 no problems, in fact it probably shifts smoother and faster now with 8000 miles
Old 12-30-06, 12:58 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you Edge! I wish I could say the same.

As y'all know, I have been very patient in waiting for Lexus to come out with a real fix given my slippage issues have been so minor. WELL....three days ago, after stopping at a local shop, I had to aggressively pull into traffic. I experieced a slippage that took me by surprise because the car was completely warmed up at that point. First time ever! What's worse is it happened so quick I think it may have been 2-3 rather than the normal 3-4! But I'm not sure. D*mnit!

I have been off work and not driving the car since then. But, I start a new job on Tuesday that is located just down the street from my dealer.

I guess that bridge just got moved a little closer.
Old 12-30-06, 01:08 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Macklin
Good for you Edge! I wish I could say the same.

As y'all know, I have been very patient in waiting for Lexus to come out with a real fix given my slippage issues have been so minor. WELL....three days ago, after stopping at a local shop, I had to aggressively pull into traffic. I experieced a slippage that took me by surprise because the car was completely warmed up at that point. First time ever! What's worse is it happened so quick I think it may have been 2-3 rather than the normal 3-4! But I'm not sure. D*mnit!

I have been off work and not driving the car since then. But, I start a new job on Tuesday that is located just down the street from my dealer.

I guess that bridge just got moved a little closer.
Mack...

I was alarmed at first pulling into traffic when that happened and for me it was 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 on first car but it always caught it's gear though can be very unnerving at first until you get used to it.

I know what you mean about not being sure which gear because otherwise you pay no attention to what gear you are in or not and have no reason to, then it happens, it's over and then is when you try to figure it out.
Old 12-30-06, 01:19 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Well, it was a wierd sensation for sure. Not like a typical slip where the car temporarilty looses power. It did not do that. The rpms went up in between shifts, but there was not a real loss of power, just reving. It was a unique experience.

Am I just being paranoid?
Old 12-30-06, 01:25 PM
mrshyvley
Driver School Candidate

Well, it was a wierd sensation for sure. Not like a typical slip where the car temporarilty looses power. It did not do that. The rpms went up in between shifts, but there was not a real loss of power, just reving. It was a unique experience.

Welcome to the flare.
If the engine revs up between a shift, then slides into gear, you have the flare.
Does it do it every time, or just when cold, then goes away when you've driven the car a while and got it warmed up?
Old 12-30-06, 01:28 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

LOL ....no you are not being paranoid, that can happen and it will scare the you know what out of you the first time it does and maybe even the second time when pulling out in front of approaching traffic or turning off a road across traffic to a parking lot entry.

Yes RPM rev up and the sound of that is the part that gets your serious attention.

I won't gurantee it will always catch it's gear but I really believe it always will if that helps, it is just annoying as all get out.

I just hope it does not do it several times each week to you as it was for me on former car, as once a week is enough to pick up the phone to service department.
Old 12-30-06, 01:34 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrshyvley
Welcome to the flare.
If the engine revs up between a shift, then slides into gear, you have the flare.
Does it do it every time, or just when cold, then goes away when you've driven the car a while and got it warmed up?
Thanks, but did you read my post # 83....and many others in this and other threads?
Old 12-30-06, 01:48 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

My car has the 3rd to 4th gear flare on cold start.

We were driving to my parents' house in the hills and my trans slipped from the 2nd to 3rd gear shift, and the car was warm as well. We were going uphill and it only happened once.
Old 12-30-06, 02:09 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It will only worsen as the miles increase. Go see your selling dealer.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem By Build Date